64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Close Your Eyes (Doctor Sleep) Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 14, 2009
i quite liked this film its different but i guess not memorable though
Stephen M

February 5, 2008
A cheap and pretty crappy British occult thriller about a psychic hypnotherapist helping the police to catch a serial killer of little girls. I must have missed the ritual significance of the girls to the killer's design in amongst all the arcane gibberish spouted, but I can't say my attention was especially rapt; something about blood transfusion and eternal life, I think. The acting varies from so-so to dreadful, with Shirley Henderson especially weak and even the often excellent Paddy Considine failing to register. The photography is very drab, but its general realism is consistently undercut by glaring, mediocre, digitally-manipulated backdrops.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

April 20, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=sienna]"Close Your Eyes" starts out with a young girl being pursued. She escapes by jumping off a bridge into a river. A policewoman(Shirley Henderson) blackmails Dr. Michael Strother(Goran Visnjic) who has miraculously gotten her to stop smoking into helping with the now silent child.(It's never resolved whether Strother is a master hypnotist or a psychic. It is clear that Strother is hiding something but it is not really relevant.) Their investigation leads to some dark and disturbing places.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#a0522d][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#a0522d]"Close Your Eyes" is an ineffective thriller where nothing much happens for most of the movie, except for some unpleasant business with a rat. The movie tries to coast along on atmosphere alone. It does tend to telegraph its punches, too. Even worse, because the characterizations are weak, it is very hard to care about any of the characters. It is a shame because a very good cast - Shirley Henderson, Goran Visnjic, Paddy Considine, Miranda Otto, Fiona Shaw and Corin Redgrave - is wasted. [/color][/font]
Chosen 7

June 1, 2009
Interesting thriller, nice twist.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

February 3, 2009
Unremarkable occult thriller except this one employs a visionary hypnotist as part of the story. Passable, nothing more gripping than that.
Deb S

November 22, 2008
The British film Close Your Eyes was better than I anticipated. It had some good suspense moments, thrills and twists. Goran Visnjic was stellar in his portrayal of a hypnotherapist with gifts. The film seemed to slowly lose it's self partway through.
Hamee
December 17, 2007
The special effects in this movie were definitely lacking, but overall this is a fun horror movie that is worth at least one watch.
December 26, 2011
I see a lot of promise here, but the concept is a bit overdone, the acting a bit stiff, and toward the end, it just goes too far off the deep end. I really wanted to enjoy this, but sometimes it didn't make it easy. It's worth seeing once, but I'm not sure I'd be tempted to watch it again.
GabrielKnight
July 3, 2011
An entertaining supernatural thriller. Great visuals and convincing acting that makes you care for the main characters. The story has some glaring holes but if you suspend your disbelieve the movie will keep you on the edge of your seat. I loved the ending!
November 17, 2009
Close Your Eyes is a dark, moody, and compelling horror/thriller. It is very well written, directed and acted. Goran Visnic and Shirley Henderson both give great performances and all of the supporting cast give fine performances as well. It is a distinctly original story. In its originality and strong emphasis on character over the cruder, easier horror elements it reminds me of Guillermo del Toro's Cronos.
NickCoalNoir
May 7, 2007
This movie wasn't that bad, it just didn't hold my attention very well. The concept of it was great and I think it could have been more interesting overall. There's a lot of directions this movie could of went, so it's kinda a bummer. The acting was good though, but it's not very memorable. It's nice to watch if there's nothing else on.
Ken D

March 31, 2007
A really slow developing movie that turned out to be very likable. It slowly would build up the suspense and became pretty tense towards the end. The movie did get a bit silly and a bit stupid at times, but this was very well acted. I was rather suprised by how decent this was.
pattergr
March 18, 2007
I really liked this movie. I'm always a sucker for movies about the devil, but this one was well put together. The ending totally creeped me out though. Just goes to show you that you can never trust children.
Michael A.
April 25, 2012
Rather boring thriller..the ending though is good enough for 2 stars I just wish the rest of the movie was as good.
October 25, 2011
Fun, trashy little occult thriller.
brendan n.
August 11, 2010
snails pace with a conclusion that is just as silly as the rest of the film. the script isn't even remotely interesting, if you've seen the skeleton key then you can only guess where this film is taking you.
i really wanted to like this film but it became tiring very quickly and just wasted my time.
in australia i watched the film under the bannar hypnotic and its only luck i've found the film to review. i remember the ending like it was yesterday and turned it off with disappointment.
don't expect too much if you find yourself watching it
IFR Reviews
May 25, 2010
Even though it moves at a slow pace Close your eyes turns out to be a creepy,smart and at times vissually stunning phycological thriller that has an interesting story and great direction.
Sky J.
April 26, 2010
It was slow but had a half-decent story
Indie Film Reviewer
January 23, 2008
This was a very well made feature film. I also got this movie on Netflix and I loved it. The acting was great, from the hypnotherapist to the female police officer. I read some reviews on Netflix that the acting was terrible. I was ROFL...the acting is great in this. I loved the script and it was a very entertaining movie that kept my interest all the way to the end. I would recommend this to everyone.