Closer

100% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Closer Reviews

December 20, 2007
this movie was brilliant..great acting, great story. I reccomend it.
December 4, 2011
closer is one of my favourite plays. it's such a bleak, poignant and honest look at love, relationships and human connection. when i read it, it broke my heart. i enjoyed the film as well, especially the performances of natalie portman and clive owen. owen in particular stood out because he offered a new dimension to larry that strengthened the character and the piece as a whole. i'm also glad marbel wrote the screenplay himself - even though some scenes were altered, the characters still maintained their integrity. at the end of the day though, the film doesn't do the original piece justice, especially because of the altered ending - it's too light. the film is ultimately watered down, with the intention of appealing to a more mainstream audience, and in the process lost its thematic potency and emotional impact.
November 19, 2008
Ah. The movie I always bring up as an example of why monogamous relationships are so often messed up.
February 23, 2014
I guess this is what you call an anti-romance. Powerful stuff, and Clive Owen is simply awesome.
Wildaly M

May 15, 2007
I don't quite remember this film. Watched it a long time ago. Not particularly memorable I suppose.
February 14, 2014
being in a relationship with so many years and find out that you never knew her after all. tsk
February 3, 2014
Great music choice in this film and the opening sequence really brings you into this world. However the most interesting aspect of this film is it's non sequential plot. Unfortunately that isn't in itself that interesting and for the most part this film is annoying. The characters are all selfish and not developed much. Instead this film is rather a study of interactions rather than as a character drama. The dialogue is trite and annoying. The plot is circuitous which is frustrating instead of interesting. The performances are good, but they lack the substance of character to work with. It is overly obnoxiously filled with romantic themes of jealousy, adultery and revenge. An instead of being tragic it comes off as pathetic. Based on the play of the same name, the format of the film does give it the feel of a play. Overall, it's somewhat hard to figure out what is wrong with the film as it is technically well made and performed, but I think it's that there is no aligning with the characters which are distant and un-relatable. Also instead of being this grand tragic love story about the name of romance, lust and relationships it is instead pretentiously harsh and unfeeling. Usually I'm a fan of gritty relationship dramas, but considering the characters are so shallow and annoying, I found it really hard to get into this film at all and all the seemingly significant moments instead seem predictable and lack impact.
February 1, 2014
This was so engaging. I've never been this immersed in the life of a character. Brilliant movie!
Monica Susie
January 15, 2014
I worked on one of the scenes from this in my drama class, so I really wanted to see the film. The acting was fairly decent, though could have been better in some of the scenes. Natalie Portman was actually really good in this, I think that she was the strongest out of all of leads. I enjoy watching relationship dramas so this is my kind of film. Closer is based on the play by Patrick Marber and is a drama about two couples; Dan (Jude Law) and Alice (Natalie Portman) and Anna (Julia Roberts) and Larry (the very tasty Clive Owen). The story is about deception, lies and affairs. Dan and Anna are having an affair, hurting their respective partners who are madly in love with them. I really don't get why you would go back to someone who has cheated on you. I just found the story a bit confusing in parts and the characters a bit pathetic. However this film was still really good and really gripping and the drama was really intense. The only thing I didn't like was the characters; I found them all a bit pathetic and there's no explanation for why it ends the why it does, I found that a bit confusing. Still a really powerful drama and I like that it's set in London.

Grade: A-/B+
January 16, 2014
Hello stranger! Não entendi muito o filme, mas a música do começo é legal.
January 19, 2013
Maduro,realista e magistralmente introspectivo.
July 9, 2007
one of my favorites, despite julia roberts, she was actually good, as was everyone else.
Jim
July 5, 2010
Very interesting story in the film involving a cast that gave each one of their characters great emotion and made me care a lot about them. Beautiful Natalie Portman did outstanding throughout the film playing two types of the same character...A great film that delivers a unforgettable story.
Joey S

December 24, 2013
It's so close to being a great drama, but although Closer has sharp and viciously cruel dialogue to spare, beneath all the screaming and swearing it's a mediocre melodrama that isn't quite as powerful or edgy as it aims to be.
December 20, 2013
Interesting film on cheating, relationship and love. Is this movie reflecting modern life relationship and there are no trust anymore?
October 23, 2007
A quite brilliantly interwoven story of love and betrayal. There's something here that anyone who's ever been in a relationship can relate to. It's impossible not to be drawn in by the complexities of the characters involved and the sparkling dialogue.
Danijel J
November 30, 2013
Mike Nichols' Closer is a sophisticated movie. I say this after having thought about that designation for a while, a process which only made me certain about being right in the first place. Why would it need such a careful evaluation? Well, maybe because people in it speak like sailors, act like primitives, and display a behavior which could be interpreted as spoiled more than anything else. It is sophisticated, however, and that has nothing to do with the empty cultural aureole that surrounds it, and everything with the filmmaker and screenwriter allowing it to have some of the liberties this field more than allows, without feeling obligated to blush.

The starting point for enjoying it is to take it as a Hollywood production. That isn't so hard to do. It stars actors who were, at that time and even now, some of the more bankable ones, falling in and out of love (lets stop it at that), and is directed by an Oscar winner who made financially successful movies right from the first one. We meet Natalie Portman and Jude Law first, in a slow motion, which is a perfect way to look at their relationship as it is set up. She is hit by a car while walking the street, and he takes her to hospital. The injuries are insignificant, but the destined slow mo meeting results in them living together.

Fast-forward a year or so, something this movie does without consulting us too much. Her past experiences make her too possessive towards him, he can't handle it, and his love of a different kind finds Julia Roberts' photographer attractive. She does not respond at once, a situation made extra complicated by him accidentally setting her up with Clive Owen's doctor. The following interaction of these four is not interesting to describe or, from a certain moment, even try to understand. I kept the desire to follow them until the end, however, though, gradually, the actors were forced to carry more weight than this production welcomed.

These people from the big city of London want security more than anything, ready to cry or scream in public if that would mean that they have a chance to keep it, and who can, precisely because of that, sense, from miles ahead, every temptation which poses a danger to their status quo , even if the source lies in their person. The necessity of succumbing to those temptations gives the film an intellectual weight which, in general, made it work for me-the powerlessness and the awareness of its inevitability.

That exciting feeling of being thrown out of your comfort zone by raw emotion, which, combined with pure noise, prevents you to regain your composure, fades in that obligatory moment when you want not so much to form an opinion about the characters, but certainly understand the position they are coming from. The desire of the film-making team for this quartet to explain their actions so clearly doesn't help with that, as words tend to lose direction as the action progresses and the emotional core, which makes them say the things they say, will sometimes be so far away that you just want have enough time to find it before everything becomes loud again.

The eloquence, however, is not missing. Observe how Nichols' camera respects the need for expression of each character. There are few instances where the he turns our attention on certain shots, but shortly after they are established, he makes sure we keep it where it should be. The humor, delicious at times, is reinforced by the self-confidence of the actors, especially Owen, who plays it as a boxer who never shows intention to tell you in which instance his call for a fight is just a joke.

Now about those liberties. Verbal direction and rapid-fire deliveries take us back to the old times when people from the silver screen spoke in a different way from us, common mortals, and when the realists of the day were not so annoyingly loud as they can be these days. It is easy to forget, after the early nineties, that designed dialogues don't always have to be followed by scenes of designed violence. Call it an excuse for enthusiasm if you want, but I found more bravery in here than one would expect with such a precious cast.
November 15, 2013
There's a loss of momentum as Closer drags on. The characters seem to suffer from verbal diarrhea; unable to control when they are telling the truth or lying. It's an interesting film, but its one trick of being brutally honest and brutally fake at the same time goes from jarring to trying by the end of the film.
November 15, 2013
As a woman who has been cheated on, this movie is still raw and yet still so close to home. Larry is an awful man that needs intimacy but would fight it at every turn if it is thrown in his face. He fights for Anna only because he wants to possess her. And Alice aka Jane, is a broken needy woman that clings to Dan because he was her savior, which is sad an unbecoming of the character. What I noticed most is that none of the characters know what true love is. The spend so much time fucking and not making love, not even trying to find it. Dan and Alice are right for each other and so wrong as well. Dan wants Anna out of what he calls love, only to reveal to himself that it was a game he and Larry played to mess with each others heads.Anna and Larry should never be together, neither can trust and throw the word around like it is love. This movie is brutal and sad an a very fucked up part of humanity. It needs to be seen by all couples that are having problems and think that cheating is the answer. Because without watching this movie, we are animals.
November 12, 2013
Not so impressive, only remaining some emotions about depression. Casts are talented and world class, but drama is not in that level.