Closer Reviews

May 29, 2007
I will always consider this a great anti-romantic comedy. I liked the idea of characters lying, cheating, and deceiving each other throughout the entire film. It's hard to imagine anyone else filling the shoes of Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, and Julia Roberts because each of them contributes something special that made this picture extremely memorable. I think the title fits the movie because no matter how close the characters get emotionally, they are never successful when it comes to acquiring genuine and utter connection. Each character is strong in their own way, yet weak also. That rings very true to life because we are all damaged creatures, striving to be loved regardless of how we see the world and the people that live in that world. This film provides fascinating characters that are highly suitable to in-depth character studies. It's nothing short of excellent.
July 25, 2015
Dumb. Really bad movie.
½ June 4, 2007
Closer is not perfect, but it is one of the strongest and most interesting romantic dramas in my book.
June 4, 2015
Very good acting by Clive Owen and Natalie Portman. Jude Law was also perfect for his character. Loved the lines.
June 3, 2015
Closer is an unforgettable, intelligently-made drama about four people who have no one left but each other. Patrick Marber's dialogue sweeps you off your feet.
June 3, 2015
Complicated love and relationships
½ May 11, 2015
I watched this movie in 2013 and i was reminded of how good the movie industry used to be. The script was by far the best ive listened to in years and thats to say a lot
April 11, 2015
This film really should not work, but it does.
½ April 1, 2015
Without a double, the most venomous, fragile and desperate love story that's ever been told, based on a well known British play (Which when it first took to the stage actually starred Clive Owen). Closer elegantly and charmingly wiggles into our hearts, before stabbing them a thousand times with a rusted knife. Set in London, Alice and Dan are bizarrely introduced to each other by a road accident. Falling for each other instantly the couple become madly in love, transforming each others lives. However when Dan turns out not to be the nice guy that he lets on and the lives of Anna, a photographer and Larry, a doctor, intrude on this perfect relationship, the human psyche is pushed to braking point as a 4 way love cluster fuck begins. The cast are without a doubt, perfect, all 4 actors give such a brilliant and diverse performance, really making the characters their own, it is close to impossible to imagine anyone else in the roles, Jude Law portrays an incredibly weak man, who's exterior becomes more and more smug while the insides stay fragile. Natalie Portman is phenominal as the American ghost, who goes where the wind takes her, he complete and utter passion and youthfulness in this film is admirable and adorable, yet equally disturbing. Julia Roberts is extremely strong, even if a lot of her screen time revolves around the shit hitting the fan, her blunt and devious traits are poisonous while being luring. However it is Clive Owen here that steals the show and the audience and the seats and the screen. His apish, cut throat and frightening portrayal of a London "Bloke" tears the screen in 2 every time he graces it. He clearly understands the source material to such perfection his convictions and fire are so believable at points you forget your watching a film. It is a difficult film, the characters are all, in their own way, horrible people, however the stories use of language and constant deceit make it impossible not to sympathise with all of these people. The language is brilliant, lifted straight from the theatre script. It works so well, because it feels so real and on screen it just emits so much raw emotion. There is the occasional line that seems forced or over dramatic but they are few and far between. The film also bolsters a shiny polish, the lighting is gorgeous, subtle and life like, camera angles get exactly what they need to and the sets and locations are utterly brilliant. The presentation of this film is pristine, almost, even Damien Rice's song book ending the film fits perfectly. Its almost a match made in heaven. There are a few niggles here and there that do annoy. The film hurtles at break neck speed however it only wants you to see pivotal moments in its timeline. This is fine but the fact that each scene here has a huge leap in time between each other, make it very difficult to really get a deeper feeling of character relations. It doesnt help that every scene has something close to diabolical happen in it also, meaning you cant quite shake the feeling your always missing something. There is an occasional crap maneuver with some shots as well, relishing somewhat with the zoom function, its a small gripe but its there. Finally there are moments of just cringe worthy film making, not much, but a couple that just lead to huge sighs. Like for example having every man in a busy street stop dead in their tracks to look at Natalie Portman as she struts down the street, its moments like this the film breaks the fourth wall and you cant help but be left with a bitter taste. Despite some minor niggles, Closer hasnt aged a bit and in all honesty it still is one of my most loved romantic, if you can call it that, film.
February 28, 2015
Maybe it is just me but I really loathe this movie. Just don quite understand what it is all about.
½ February 21, 2015
gr8 director gr8 cast so-so movie how does that happen?
February 5, 2015
Menage a Quatre

You may like Closer because of its flawed characters and their doomed relationships. I like it because it's square. The assorted combinations of love and friendship, scorn and resentment, among two males and two females are literally geometrical. Typically, the dependable love triangle pits three characters together, often a heterosexual convention establishing a male lead zig-zagging between two females, or a female lead choosing between two male suitors. What if we include an extra character? How many triangles can be made with four individuals? Four! And Closer expertly covers them all. Next time you see it, draw out a square with each character occupying a corner. Then connect each of the couplings and triangles as they occur, beginning with Julia-Jude-Natalie. Jude falls for Natalie, introduces her to Julia who gets intimate with her camera. The Jude-Clive-Julia triangle is a clever one. Clive is introduced when Jude seduces him online pretending to be Julia who he meets at the aquarium. Often when a movie script or stage play adheres to a strict formula, it turns out flat and predictable. Not Closer. Applying a quadrangular network forces each character to cover all the bases, tagging up every way possible, pushing each juncture to the limit.
½ January 19, 2013
Maduro,realista e magistralmente introspectivo.
½ May 11, 2010
dang, that opening (and closing) song got me.
½ January 4, 2015
Scoring Natalie Portman an Academy Award nomination, Closer was a film that demanded viewing simply on that basis.

Based on a 1997 play of the same name, Closer cannot help but feel too much like the play that it is, even as a film adaptation. IT manages to use some elements that a stage production cannot such as the addition of music and atmospheric cinematography, but it still feels like something that should remain a stage production. Closer takes place in very few situations, and I would be able to enjoy that more if the plot structure didn't keep on getting in the way of it.
The amount of time skips in Closer can be somewhat overwhelming. Closer is already a film without much happening, but the fact that it keeps on constantly skipping between so many extensive points in time really were fazing. Closer tries to stretch little material over a long period of time in terms of chronology, and that kind of formula gets really repetitive and loses spirit really fast. The intro to Closer is fairly conventional, and then from there the constant skips in time ensure that the film loses the potential for its edge. I feel like this would be more interesting to see on stage because the transition between things could be more emphasised through acting while in the film adaptation there was little to convince me that time had actually passed. All in all, Closer just does not have the right material which would be thoroughly interesting as a film. Perhaps that is just me because I am not the biggest fan of plays and particularly films which seem too theatrical to capitalise on their cinematic potential, but either way I did not find myself embracing the material in Closer and in the process I was simply worn down by the limited storytelling and constant amount of skipping through time. I appreciate the fact that Mike Nichols tried, and he really did a good job illuminating the dramatic mood of very many scenes nicely, but the fact is that Closer ended up being sporadically entertaining at best and largely tedious due to its plot structure and slow pace which stretches on for way too long. I will admit that the script had some interesting scenes and strong dialogue, but the key word there is some.
Despite the strange structure and general sense of uneasiness from the film, the cast in Closer have no problem standing up and delivering a strong effort.
Jude Law makes a fine lead in Closer. With the material in the film being so complicated in its examination of relationships, the nature of his character is intriguing due to the fact that Dan Woolf is a very obsessive man who is full of determination with his actions getting in the way of common sense much of the time. Jude Law sinks into the role with dedication to every little detail which is intriguing to witness. The tension in his facial expressions and line delivery makes him strong on both a physical and emotional level. Jude Law is great in Closer, and his interactions with Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts craft some interesting scenes since he is able to hold up the theatrical nature of the drama very well.
After playing many roles as a child and delivering middling efforts in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Natalie Portman is handed a very mature role to step into for Closer. The former child actor takes on a very daring role in Closer, portraying a troubled stripper. Natalie Portman's fearlessness in tackling the material as it comes to her and stripping herself physically and metaphorically. Her performance is a restrained one which captures the complicated nature of her character without going melodramatic or losing sight of her focus. Natalie Portman brings a strong sense of spirit to her role and grips the part with determined strength and a distinct absence of fear which pays her a lot of credibility as an actress, and her Academy Award nomination is a sign of well-deserved recognition for her talents.
Clive Owen also makes a name for himself in Closer. In the part of Larry Gray, Clive Owen begins simply as an everyman with his casual appearance and demeanour, but gradually develops into much more as his character becomes more involved in the story. He starts out slow and gradually gets more determined in the role which makes him an intriguing presence as the film goes on. His tense chemistry with the main three cast members is very impressive because he has no problem dishing it out whenever he is on screen. Clive Owen does a really strong effort in Closer and has some powerful scenes of interaction with the other cast members which really stands out as memorable, meaning that his Academy Award nomination was also a deserved piece of recognition.
And lastly, Julia Roberts does her part as well. Though she hardly stands out among the cast and her role is a lot smaller thanyou might expect, she has no problem standing up in her part and bringing a sense of drama to her role. Her facial expressions constantly express a show of trouble afoot and her line delivery is a really intense one which does not lose sight of the important realism in it all. Julia Roberts' experienced acting abilities second fiddle to the other main actors in the cast of Closer, but the importance and effectiveness of her role remain still clear nevertheless and so she is a welcome addition to the cast. The endeavour of her performance comes from her interactions with Jude Law.

So Closer benefits from some incredible performances from all four of its main cast members and Michael Nichols is able to emphasise the dramatic nature of it all fairly well, but it fails to make up for the fact that Closer's material is planted firmly in its theatrical roots and falters due to a poor plot structure.
½ December 30, 2014
Four people all attempting to manipulate one another all at the same time. Exceedingly good fun.
November 19, 2014
It isn't about Love everytime in a relationship, it's more about understanding each others feelings and trusting each other. Simply loved Closer, smart direction by Mike Nichols and lovely screenplay makes it a perfect romantic drama. Natalie Portman and Clive Owen completely overshadows Jude law and Julia Roberts with truly committed performance.
April 22, 2011
One of the more depressing movies I have ever seen, Closer does about ten complete turnarounds more than I thought possible.
November 8, 2007
When director Mike Nichols recently died, I noticed this title in his filmography. Since it has a stellar cast and I so enjoyed many of Nichols' other films (e.g., The Graduate, The Birdcage), I made the mistake of watching this one. Ick! The screenwriter must be a bitter cynic, because the entire film revolves around truly twisted notions of love and attraction, and all four main characters are pretty heartless and self-centered. I'm going to need a heavy dose of romantic comedies to put this one completely out of my mind.