RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas

Summary

This week on home video, we've only got a few choices to talk about, and only one of them seems really worthy of any discussion. That one is Cloud Atlas, a big movie with big ideas that may or may not have succeeded in conveying its heavy message. Then we've got a quirky little something from Roman Coppola, and the latest attempt to revitalize a classic horror franchise. Click through for the full list. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Charles Swan" is an interesting film, more so than critics give it credit for. Many of the reviews I read were vicariously using it as an opportunity to hate on Charlie Sheen. The film, which can be absurdist and kitschy (much like Roman Coppola's Barbarella satire of "CQ"), is actually quite a glimpse at celebrity delusion, ego and entitlement. And who better to explore these issues than the children of Hollywood celebrities? Unfortunately, because of Sheen's recent meltdown, too many critics assumed it was some kind of apologia, or worse, intended to address his specific pathologies. It's just a fun, weird film about how ridiculous the self-image and self-esteem of stars can be.

I'm also going to check out "Cloud Atlas", one of last year's divisive films that I missed. I'm expecting technical excellence more than profundity, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Also look forward to the Ginger Baker doc.

May 13 - 03:13 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I don't know if I'm gonna like Cloud Atlas or not. On one hand, it could be deep and though provoking, but when things try to be and fail it's just a bag of bullshit and makes no sense whatsoever.

May 13 - 08:04 PM

Pattie  L.

Pattie Linquist

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job Ive had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringin home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, Mojo50.com

May 15 - 03:42 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Have you even seen "Charles Swan"?

May 14 - 06:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

No. I'm lying, dickshine.

May 14 - 01:51 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Thought so

May 14 - 07:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Do you intend to make any substantive criticism of this film, or do you just want to keep attacking my integrity?

May 14 - 08:50 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Attack his integrity!!! Attack his integrity!!! We haven't had a good ole fashioned kerfuffle in almost a week.

May 14 - 09:05 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Make substantive criticism of the film? That is exactly why I'm attacking your integrity. Your opinions are so generic and obvious it seems like there regurgitated writings of stuff you read online and it's quite unnecessary. That could just be me though, you might have actually, maybe, doubtfully seen the movie.

May 15 - 06:42 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Obvious? As in opposite from 84% of the critics? So this is more about me than the actual movie. I think we're done here.

May 15 - 07:54 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Cloud Atlas was the most incoherent, idiotic, mumbled piece of junk. The first monologue made no sense. It also denounces Christianity, which there are millions of, and Islam, again millions. The directors went for something that would be a spectacle, but it ended up as fake a Lana/Larry Wachowski.

May 13 - 03:42 PM

Jason B.

Jason Black

What does a religion's numbers have to do with anything?

May 13 - 11:41 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

They are disowning millions, maybe billions of people's religion. Imagine being an Orthodox Christian watching this film.

May 14 - 02:47 AM

Alan David

Alan David

No they're not, it's based on the book and frankly no one gives a fuck. Leave your religious pampering at the door, thank you.

May 14 - 03:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

actually Old Sport, religion and why people believe in religion is a huge part of the film especially in that silly future sequence. Personally I think the wachowskis were trying to come up with something deep and meaningful but everything just sort of comes across as Just cuz...Old Sport.

May 14 - 12:59 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

I forgot the old sport, huh, old sport. Well, I was mad. Plus, this movie was confusing. And not Inception confusing because after a while I got that film. I didn't understand Cloud Shit-less after 2 watches (Amount I watched Inception)

May 14 - 01:15 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

you don't deserve that avatar, get the fuck out.

May 14 - 03:08 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Hey I just love the way Gatsby talks, I wasn't mocking your Avatar. I kind of agree with you. Cloud Atlas is deep if you really really want it to be. There is a scene where halle berry chewing up the scenery is asked why she's reading all the old letters and she says "I just want to know why we keep...Making the same Mistakes" and the audience who wants it to be a deep journey says Ooooh Ahhhh but people like you and me Jay say "oooookay well let me get you some water sweetie and we can talk about whats really bothering you." Or the more cynical crowd laughs and rolls there eyes.

May 14 - 04:55 PM

Cole Reichenberg

Cole Reichenberg

Ha, what about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc etc. do they not denounce our modern society's beliefs? And if you take offense to a movie's message towards faith, you should stop watching movies

May 15 - 02:27 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter doesn't show clear religion, dumbass. Witches did exist, btw.

May 15 - 02:53 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah the Weasly's had plenty of opportunities to say Stupid Muggle Beliefs but they didn't. Lord of the rings Jam packed with Christian Allegory dude. I don't take offense when a film's character or even plot denounces something. Just to denounce it with such a silly stupid Premise. You might as well watch Prometheus again and get better cinematography.

May 15 - 07:22 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

CLOUD ATLAS is OK, but it could've been better if the filmmakers had realized that the material wasn't new age. The multiple stories are deep on their own, but by making us try to see it as something philosophical, they come off as simplistic. I've never seen any of the TEXAS CHAINSAW movies, so I'm not gonna start with this one.

May 13 - 03:53 PM

Jennifer Siletzky

Jennifer Siletzky

I think what bothered me was the whole time it felt like they were preparing for a twist, when I got the whole idea within ten minutes. So, if by new age, you mean that the plot point was obvious and done many times before so there was no need to give it this air of mystery, I 100 percent agree.

May 13 - 10:39 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

With "new age", I was talking about the philosophical movement. However, I agree about it not really needing the air of mystery.

May 14 - 11:51 AM

Aurora Bellard

Aurora Bellard

Cloud Atlas was beautiful and grande and the most entertaining film that actually required i dig a little deeper. I think it's worth one watch by everyone. Each story is great by itself. in fact I could watch each story as its own movie.

May 13 - 03:55 PM

Cole Reichenberg

Cole Reichenberg

I felt the same way, it was as if four or five movies were playing out right before you, I still need to watch again now that I have an idea of the whole picture. Were you laughing when they said the old folk's home was called something Aurora?

May 15 - 02:29 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Cloud Atlas finally!

May 13 - 05:01 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Hooray Cloud Atlas! I'm taking bets how long some of my family and friends can last watching this.

May 13 - 05:54 PM

Cole Reichenberg

Cole Reichenberg

haha, I watched this for the first time last night and my roommate left right before the end. Which was a shame because the end was pretty great!

May 15 - 02:31 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

nothing for me this week
I am done with 'Texas Chainsaw', the original was great but the remake sucked and the prequel sucked harder
and hearing all the ridiculous things like inconsistencies, illogical errors and non-realism...yikes!

May 13 - 06:14 PM

May 13 - 10:39 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

May 14 - 11:51 AM

Jason B.

Jason Black

What does a religion's numbers have to do with anything?

May 13 - 11:41 PM

May 14 - 12:59 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

May 14 - 01:15 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

you don't deserve that avatar, get the fuck out.

May 14 - 03:08 PM

May 14 - 12:59 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

May 14 - 01:15 PM

John Serrano

John Serrano

you don't deserve that avatar, get the fuck out.

May 14 - 03:08 PM

May 15 - 07:22 PM

Alan David

Alan David

May 14 - 03:33 AM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

Have you even seen "Charles Swan"?

May 14 - 06:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

No. I'm lying, dickshine.

May 14 - 01:51 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

May 15 - 06:42 AM

May 15 - 07:54 AM

akatz5

Andrew Katz

Cloud Atlas is a great film. Anyone who hates it and cals it "Sloppy" simply didn't understand it.

May 14 - 07:40 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Yep, cause that's never been used as a defense of crap before.

May 14 - 09:15 PM

Jamil Wamubu

Jamil Wamubu

Cloud Atlas was simply beautiful and much like the book a celebration of humanity, and deeply spiritual. There is a moment where Keith David's character from the future Neo Soul setting winks at the audience and says something to the effect of "Let us show you something more so you can understand what this is really about." And form that point you see the climax with Sonmi's recording etc. It is absolutely brilliant.

May 14 - 07:50 AM

Vits

Vicente Torres

May 14 - 11:51 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

May 14 - 12:59 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

May 14 - 01:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

No. I'm lying, dickshine.

May 14 - 01:51 PM