Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 Reviews

½ October 30, 2014
It's a loosely-written story that only the duo of Phil Lord and Chris Miller could sketch out. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 dives in deeper in its appetizing-utopian realm, and it's a bit unnecessary at times, but it's still able to provide hilarity, colorful personalities and heartfelt vibes, that though it isn't as striking as its predecessor, it's still solid. 3.5/5
MANUGINO
December 3, 2013
Something big was leftover.

Good Entertainment! Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, a film that gives Flint Lockwood and the gang an extra journey to this whimsical world. And surprisingly, it turns out to be all fun with wonderful animation and some memorable humor, especially when it involves puns. It's still extravagant for it to have a sequel, but if you're hungry for more of these delightful characters and their preposterous adventures, then this film is a worthwhile treat.

After the disastrous food storm in the first film, Flint and his friends are forced to leave the town. Flint accepts the invitation from his idol Chester V to join The Live Corp Company, which has been tasked to clean the island, and where the best inventors in the world create technologies for the betterment of mankind. When Flint discovers that his machine still operates and now creates mutant food beasts like living pickles, hungry tacodiles, shrimpanzees and apple pie-thons, he and his friends must return to save the world.
October 20, 2013
Not so original ( its almost tha same story and plot as the first one) but anyway it is funny and enteraining
October 11, 2013
***

I must first admit that I own the first installment on blu-ray, but I honestly don't remember if I've watched it. I'm pretty sure I get the jest of it and the beginning of this sequel does a great job explaining the events of the first movie. Having said that, you don't need to see it to enjoy this, because it's pretty good on it's own. It picks up right where it left off, and Flint(Bill Hader) is recruited by an "Apple" type science company. Long story short the food he created has mutated and taken over their city, and he has to help stop/contain them. The movie has some twists and turns, and it's very, very funny. Not to mention the animation in this is awesome. The Tacodile is something to be seen for sure. We took Grant and he enjoyed it, so kids will definitely love it. Good news is, so will the parents. I've seen much worse animated movies out there. Hopefully the make another one, cause this franchise is pretty unique and I'd love to see where it goes next.
½ October 7, 2013
Starting immediately when the first film ends, "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" has an entire world leftover to build upon, and does it completely explore it to it's fullest? No, but that is okay, because I would love to have another sequel made. I highly enjoyed watching these characters explore the leftover world that Flint Lockwood's machine has created, even if it is a much more kid-friendly film and some of the jokes are hit or miss. The visuals are bright and colourful and the 3D really does stand out. It may not be as cleverly written, but for a kids film, this picture has a a few more by-the-numbers story elements that seem all too familiar. It does not take full advantage of it's plot, but the food puns are a mile-a-minute and will keep you laughing the entire duration. Great for kids, and still pleasant enough for adults. This sequel is a lot of fun!
½ October 5, 2013
This movie proves how good Phil Lord and Chris Miller are.
½ October 4, 2013
"Cloudy 2" was colorful and cute enough to hold my attention, but it lives in its predecessors shadow so bluntly that the movie seems to be self-aware of the fact. Instead of forming new gags, it reuses old ones, and besides for the funny food puns, the other new additions (like Will Forte's villain) feel uninspired. There are moments that recall the best that the original had to offer, but most of the movie either regurgitates old jokes, or uses its cute, goofy food animals to gather up those sweet, sweet "minion" dollars.
March 19, 2014
Much more effort involved than your typical "animated kid's movie sequel made in the 21st century".
Billie P.
March 24, 2014
Admittedly I didn't finish "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2." Couldn't, in fact. I found the animation a bit annoying, and I was not terribly interested in the inventor Flint Lockwood's story. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the amazing Pixar fare, like the "Toy Story" or "Shrek" films, which are more fun to watch.
July 7, 2013
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is a fun family film that is a good way to kill some time.
Bradley T. Johnson
January 27, 2014
Cloudy 2 often feels like a completely different film than its predecessor. It retains much of the humor from the first while never quite duplicating the fun. Puns abound in the film most of which hit, but the story isn't quite as satisfying despite some strong new characters. Colorful, frenetic, and maybe a bit confusing, Cloudy 2 is nevertheless a pleasant time waster. My rating: 61
½ October 17, 2013
I have to confess - I actually fell asleep 10 minutes into the film! Wildly imaginative, charming and beautifully created, packed with good values, despite the cliched narrative. A fun outing for the family for sure.
½ October 3, 2013
While Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ended up to be fun but never out-and-out funtastic, its second helping dishes out better gags and a tasty forecast overall. Oh, it never even reaches near-perfection but manages to put forth a sequel that amazingly trumps its predecessor when it comes to pure amusement. And it's NOT being based on a popular children's book. That's right, it's seemingly conjured up like magic...or, at least, magic created from a somewhat formulaic How To manual for young magicians. The rabbit in this very loosely based hat, however (true, it's based on characters and an overall situation from such a book, but still...), offers up a magic show that's weighed down by a cloyingly familiar moral (REAL friends are friends forever) but buoyed by some crackling wit.

In this PG-rated animated comedy-adventure, inventor Flint Lockwood (Hader) is forced to leave his dream job when he learns that his infamous machine is still operational and churning out menacing food-animal hybrids.

With equal parts heart and humor, Pixar and Dreamworks certainly cornered the market on animated family flicks. With Cloudy 2, Sony comes close to this bar. Here, original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller get replaced by Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn while original screenwriters get replaced by Horrible Bosses scribes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein. This overall change results in a romp boasting more zip and laughs than the first go-round. The names and designs given the food creatures, for example, prove hilariously gut busting whether you're young or just young at heart.

Bottom line: Cheeseburger in Paradise.
Christopher O.
½ February 17, 2014
A definite step down from the original but still fun inventive and beautifully drawn. Hader's voice brings much depth to his character and also good are Forte, Caan and Faris. I think it has a good moral for kids and wry enough humor for adults. 02-16-2014
October 18, 2013
Considering the insane volume of animal/food puns the writers came up with to populate this sequel to the effortlessly quirky original outing, you would think they could have come up with a better name for this than just taking on a 2 to the original title. But don't let that lapse of judgement ruin and otherwise excellent entry to this budding new franchise.
The usual forte of bright colours, interesting, funny characters and an easy to engage narrative keeps this cheerful family flick humming along perfectly throughout. A solid hit rate of gags, both visual and verbal, both for kids and adults, come thick and fast, and are delivered with great success. It may lack the same degree of whimsy and spontaneity the first film had, and there is no missing the writers ramming home the moral undertones much more strongly here. But there is still tons of fun to be had, and for fans of the first movie, this is more of the same.
Anthony L.
½ September 27, 2013
While I agree with the consensus that it's not as clever as the first film, I have to disagree with the fact that it's not as inventive. From the 'Rock Candy Mountain' to 'Shrimpanzees,' Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 does everything it can to not fall victim to the cliche sequel formula, and for the most part, it works quite well. The setting is unspeakably beautiful. The animators did a great job with creating such a detailed, fascinating setting. The characters are much like they were in the last film; optimistic and delightful. It's a very happy film, like it should be. But too often, it becomes formulaic of the normal animated film of post 2000 (as opposed to a typical sequel, which feeds off it's predecessor). There's an introduction, an inspiration, a journey, and ultimately, an ending in which the protagonist comes to a stage of self actualization, and saves the world. Yes, it's formulaic, but aren't most films nowadays, animated or not ? Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is a worthy sequel, a rare one that I liked just as much as I adored the first. It doesn't have the same amount of pizazz in the characters as it did in the first film, but that's an impossibility with a sequel. It's one of the many great films opening this weekend, and I do recommend it, in all it's visual awe.
January 30, 2013
Nowhere near as imaginative as the original, "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2" is completely uninspired and uses the same old tricks to deliver an average sequel to a highly entertaining and quirky first film. Where the original "Cloudy" took a beloved children's book and gave it a life all its own, highlighting moments from the story but ultimately creating its own universe, the first film was hilarious and was beloved by children and parents alike. "Cloudy 2" does little to expand on that humor and takes an average and formulaic story arc and drives it into the ground. I do applaud the allusions to "Jurassic Park" with Sam Sparks' attire reflecting that of Laura Dern's Ellie Sattler from the original Spielberg classic, as well as some situational humor that reflects the iconic film. With the entire voice cast returning, save for Mr. T as the local police officer (replaced by Terry Crews), you would think the film would be strong enough to at least live up to its previous installment, but with food joke after blatant food joke ("there's a leak in the boat") and walking and talking food-imals (food animals), the film feels forced and far too strange to be enjoyed. But if you enjoy talking pickles in the likeness of the Three Stooges and a lack of intelligent humor that was abundant in the original, than may "Cloudy 2" is for you. For the rest of us, this children's film replaces completely average and unworthy of anymore exploration.