Clue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clue Reviews

November 16, 2014
A deliciously ingenious and funny adaptation that lives up to the fun of the famous board game on which it is based and exhibits an amazing attention to details, while Tim Curry stands out in the great cast and completely steals the scene in the film's clever possible endings.
½ March 21, 2009
dumb game, dumb movie
TheDudeLebowski65
August 18, 2013
This film based on the popular board game is actually a surprising treat. Although not perfect, this is a well acted movie with an entertaining story. Clue has an impressive cast of talented actors. The film is entertaining from start to finish, but at times, you can clearly see where the filmmakers seemed to rush on the ideas. I'm actually surprised that they were able to make something watchable while using a board game as a basis for its plot. Years later, they would do the same thing with Battleship, but varied to decent results. I have to say Clue is a fun movie to watch if you're in the right state of mind, and it will keep you guessing right up till the very end. The cast here are what keep you interested from the first frame onwards, and even for all its flaws, it's worth seeing and is not as bad as you'd think. With what the filmmakers had to work with, Clue is an average, worthwhile viewing experience that could have been far worst, but is lots of fun from start to finish. Don't go into this one expecting a great film, you won't find it here and there is plenty of aspects that could have been improved upon, but for what it, Clue is mindless thrills and entertainment and is a better movie than Peter Berg's Battleship. Like I said before, the cast make it work, and there is enough varied talent to really make a watchable movie that is entertaining, but flawed. Despite its shortcomings, there are enough good things on-screen to make it worth checking out.
November 29, 2012
This scream-out-loud farce contains more than your daily recommended serving of puns and a healthy dollop of licentiousness. Seeing present-day established actors in their first roles also brings a nice nostalgia factor.
blkbomb
½ January 13, 2012
Mrs. White: Well, one of us must have killed him!

"It's Not Just A Game Anymore"

There's one word that perfectly describes Clue, and that would be "amusing." The movie isn't great or all that hilarious, but what it is, is amusing. From start to finish, it's watchable. It has stretches that are funny and stretches that are boring. It's pretty much unremarkable in every way. Still it manages to be amusing enough to merit a watch.

Most of the amusement I am talking about comes from Tim Curry. I've always enjoyed watching Curry. He has a way of making bad movies watchable. Look at IT for example. His performance as Pennywise is the sole reason I still enjoy that made-for-tv movie; not to mention it is also the reason I lost nights of sleep as a young child. Curry plays the Butler and creates the most laughs out of any of the actors. He also just always gives entertaining performances and this is no different.

Clue is obviously based off of the board game, which happened to be one of my favorite games as a kid. The film is one of those murder mysteries that happens all in one night and in one house. Everyone there is a suspect and the bodies continue to pile up as they all try to piece together who the killer is. The movie does manage to create just enough laughs using this plot, but nowhere near the amount a movie like Murder by Death did.

Clue is very average and uneventful. There's nothing here that really needs to be seen. You probably aren't going to laugh out loud that much. You probably aren't going to be that impressed. At the end of the movie though, you will at least be able to say it was amusing.
DreamExtractor
August 15, 2011
Clue was awesome, they made a movie that everyone thought would be stupid, and actually created it to be a original and great film that is a cult classic.
MANUGINO
½ July 5, 2009
Murder, madness, mystery, and mayhem. More fun than you can imagine.

Very good movie with lots of twist and turns. I dare you guess the end, because you won't win! The film's story is just like playing the game so it's fun and exciting. I wanna play the real board game right now!!!

Clue is a movie about 6 guests, a butler, and a maid, who are all involved in the murders of 6 people. The guests all meet at Hill House, where you learn that Professor Plum works in D.C., where everyone else lives. Colonel Mustard is a client of Miss Scarlet, who is the ex-employer of Yvette, the maid, who had an affair with the husband of Mrs. White, etc. When Mr. Boddy, who is blackmailing each guest, gives the guests each a weapon, he tells them they should kill Wadsworth, the butler, to avoid being exposed. With Mrs. Peacock's craziness, and Mr. Green's clumsiness, the whole group finds themselves tangled in a web of murder, lies, and hilarity.
July 29, 2010
From a simplistic premise, Clue rises past any and all expectations to become a plot ridden, back-story infested, comedy deluxe film. Based on the board game released in the US in 1949, Clue also generated a series of books in the nineties. As a reader of these in my childhood, it was easy to compare to those rather than the game. Much of this film is explained through the torrid and long winded explanations of Tim Curry. his British accent punctuated by bitter denial and fear of the color pseudonymed guests of one Mr. Body, a blackmailer intent on bringing together the overlords of Washington DC and make them bend to his will. Much of the film is spent in dark rooms full of weapons, murder, and the insistent ringing of the doorbell to welcome yet another victim into the labyrinth that is the mansion. The cast is picture perfect, bringing in all the more popular comedic actors of the 80's, including the great Madeline Kahn and Christopher Lloyd. If you've seen all three alternate endings together (an option on the DVD) then you've seen the real Clue, a maze of whodunit with a twist. It's enjoyable and sweet, it's Clue.
michael e.
½ February 20, 2011
sadly underrated and funny
September 6, 2010
The best movie ever made of a board game so far, I think. I love this movie, it's hilarious, has a great cast, and it's a lot of fun. Plus the ending is really cool. I highly recommend this movie.
½ January 12, 2011
Wow, it has been along time since I saw this. However as young as I was, I think I enjoyed this and loved the alternate endings!
July 23, 2010
B-
½ June 16, 2010
I watched this on the reccomendation of a friend, and personally I didn't find it as funny as she thought it was, though there were a couple of good laughs. I did like the fact that there were three different endings though.
½ March 4, 2010
Could never make my mind up about this film, its funny in a stupid or unfunny kind of way haha not really out loud funny but chuckle funny. The cast is excellent and saves the film really, mainly Curry as the butler, his over the top dashing around and English charm is always a pleasure (much like in Home Alone 2).
I like the whole setting and atmosphere of the film, the big old mansion, sneaking around, murder, mystery, creaking corridors and a general 'Hammer Horror' feel to the proceedings hehe nice touches. It also seems to be a period set film, well somewhat, which also tends to give a nice oldie, cozy feeling.
Silly ending though, I wish they had stayed alittle more sensible with it all, if you liked this then check out the Gene Wilder film 'Haunted Honeymoon'.
FilmFanatik
April 22, 2007
One of my favorite movies, this little murder mystery/comedy always leaves me smiling. Brilliant across the board.
ScoopOnline
December 17, 2009
Murder, madness, mystery, and mayhem. More fun than you can imagine.
Chiefilms
½ January 14, 2009
Classic and crazy, all over the place. Hilarious in a classy way, Tim Curry kills it, great performance.
½ May 17, 2008
I freakin' love this movie...the cast is just perfect...and the alternative endings? A treat!

Clue: making murder fun.

:]
April 19, 2007
This mad cap high camp screwball murder mystery is a hoot and a holler. Tim Curry at his finest.

Also Colleen Camp's cleavage is ridiculous.
thmtsang
July 6, 2007
Great cast, hilarious plot! Based on the boardgame Cluedo. Tim Curry is excellent.