Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 14 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 35,634
Loretta Lynn was one of the first female superstars in country music and remains a defining presence within the genre; with her strong, clear, hard-country voice and tough, no-nonsense songs about husbands who cheat and wives who weren't about to be pushed around, Lynn introduced a feminist mindset to Nashville years before the phrase "women's liberation" became common currency. Coal Miner's Daughter is a screen adaptation of Lynn's autobiography, starring Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn. One of
Mar 7, 1980 Wide
May 6, 2003
MCA Universal Home Video
Watch It Now
Tommy Lee Jones
Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn
Bill Anderson Jr.
Loretta and Mooney's Ch...
Loretta & Mooney's Chil...
Loretta and Mooney's Ch...
David Barry Gray
J. Michael Baish
Cowboy at Tootsie's
Girl at Fairgrounds
Radio Station Manager
The Coal Miner's Band
Cowboy at Grange Hall
The Patsy Cline Band
A thoughtful, endearing film charting the life of singer Loretta Lynn from the depths of poverty in rural Kentucky to her eventual rise to the title of 'queen of country music'.
Highly conventional stuff, but lovingly constructed to produce unremarkable but heart-warming entertainment.
The movie isn't great art, but it has been made with great taste and style; it's more intelligent and observant than movie biographies of singing stars used to be.
Though a classic rags to riches saga, this biopic of Loretta Lynn doesn't fall victim to cliches, and benefits immensely from the astonishingly authentic turn from Sissy Spacek, who does her own singing; even real-life singer Lynn liked the picture
Eschews convention and presents one of the more honest and non-pandering Hollywood depictions of the South of the last quarter century.
Superior biopic with an unforgettable performance by Sissy Spacek
This uplifting drama, based on Loretta Lynn's autobiography, shows how her marriage kept changing to accommodate her career as the First Lady of country music.
Audience Reviews for Coal Miner's Daughter
- Loretta Lynn: [waving fists in a full length gown, coming off stage] All I could hear was them dad-burn drums, a-beatin' in my ears!
- Loretta Lynn: [performing for her children, but her sons are wrestling] You boys quit fightin' and listen to me sing!
- Loretta Lynn: If you boys don't settle down on this porch I'm gonna have to whup you!
- Loretta and Mooney's Child: That's right?
- Radio Station Manager: You're number fourteen, nationwide!
- Loretta Lynn: Doolittle; are you leavin'?
- Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn: [come back in the house] Naw, Loretta; *I* ain't leavin'.
- Patsy Cline: [Loretta and Doolittle are fighting in the parking lot] Get in the car, Loretta! Get in the damn car and drive, Charlie!
There are no discussion threads for Coal Miner's Daughter yet.
Latest News on Coal Miner's Daughter
March 4, 2011:Five Favorite Films with Malin Akerman, Kate Mara and Josh Radnor
It's a three-in-one Five Favorite Film fest today, as we sat down with the stars and writer-director...
June 20, 2007:Director Change for "Narnia 3"
Andrew Adamson directed the first two "Narnia" chapters, and it looks like he's about to...
- Nashville Lady (DE)