Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 14 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 35,744
Loretta Lynn was one of the first female superstars in country music and remains a defining presence within the genre; with her strong, clear, hard-country voice and tough, no-nonsense songs about husbands who cheat and wives who weren't about to be pushed around, Lynn introduced a feminist mindset to Nashville years before the phrase "women's liberation" became common currency. Coal Miner's Daughter is a screen adaptation of Lynn's autobiography, starring Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn. One of
Mar 7, 1980 Wide
May 6, 2003
MCA Universal Home Video
Watch It Now
Tommy Lee Jones
Doolittle "Mooney" L...
Bill Anderson Jr.
Loretta and Mooney's...
Loretta & Mooney's C...
Loretta and Mooney's...
David Barry Gray
J. Michael Baish
Cowboy at Tootsie's
Girl at Fairgrounds
Radio Station Manage...
The Coal Miner's Ban...
Cowboy at Grange Hal...
The Patsy Cline Band
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
A thoughtful, endearing film charting the life of singer Loretta Lynn from the depths of poverty in rural Kentucky to her eventual rise to the title of 'queen of country music'.
Highly conventional stuff, but lovingly constructed to produce unremarkable but heart-warming entertainment.
The movie isn't great art, but it has been made with great taste and style; it's more intelligent and observant than movie biographies of singing stars used to be.
Though a classic rags to riches saga, this biopic of Loretta Lynn doesn't fall victim to cliches, and benefits immensely from the astonishingly authentic turn from Sissy Spacek, who does her own singing; even real-life singer Lynn liked the picture
Superior biopic with an unforgettable performance by Sissy Spacek
This uplifting drama, based on Loretta Lynn's autobiography, shows how her marriage kept changing to accommodate her career as the First Lady of country music.
Audience Reviews for Coal Miner's Daughter
- Loretta Lynn: A-hundred-n-seventeen? This baby's gonna be a big 'un daddy.
- Patsy Cline: I'll call you on Monday and we'll go shoppin'. Anything we can't buy, we'll make. Anything we can't make, we'll steal!
- Loretta Lynn: Woman, if you wanna keep that arm, you better get it off my husband.
- Girl at Fairgrounds: Who are you tellin' what?
- Loretta Lynn: I don't know who you are, but I know what you are.
- Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn: What we gotta do next is figure out what to do next.
- Lee Dollarhide: If you were born in Kentucky, you've got three choices; coal mine, moonshine or move it on down the line.
- Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn: Mr. Webb, me and Loretta are fixin' to get married tomorrow, it's alright with you.
- Ted Webb: Go ask Clary.
- Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn: Miss Webb, me and Loretta are thinkin' about gettin' married tomorrow.
- Clara Webb: Go ask Ted.
- Loretta Lynn: Doolittle, what are you doin'?
- Doolittle "Mooney" Lynn: Ted says go asks Clary; Clary says go ask Ted; I don't know.
- Loretta Lynn: Wait 'till they go to bed; then you can catch them together. 'Less they'll keep you runnin' back and forth all night long.
Discuss Coal Miner's Daughter on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Coal Miner's Daughter
March 4, 2011:Five Favorite Films with Malin Akerman, Kate Mara and Josh Radnor
It's a three-in-one Five Favorite Film fest today, as we sat down with the stars and writer-director...
June 20, 2007:Director Change for "Narnia 3"
Andrew Adamson directed the first two "Narnia" chapters, and it looks like he's about to...