Cobb

Cobb Reviews

FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 6, 2009
Haven't seen it in a while, but I remember being quite taken with it.
Todd S

November 9, 2007
Ty Cobb is in the top five of the greatest players in Baseball history. In fact, he was the first man elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, but there has never been a film about his life. While Cobb was a great baseball player and one the toughest men to ever live, he was also an outspoken racist, who was quick to fight anyone, including his wife and kids. In 1960, a dying Cobb contacted sportswriter, Al Stump to ask him to tell his story. That is what I thought this critically acclaimed film would be, but it wasn't. While the title is Cobb, the film is really about Al Stump and what it was like to spend time with the great Ty Cobb, after he'd completely lost his faculties. While it wasn't the film I'd hoped it would be, Tommy Lee Jones gave the performance of a lifetime. What can you say about Jones that hasn't already been said? He is the best actor in Hollywood and can play absolutely anyone. Jones was very convincing, showing Cobb as a deeply troubled man who covered his shame with outrageous behavior. In recent years, since the passing of Al Stump, many people who knew Cobb have come out saying the book and film were overly exaggerated, but even so, the facts about Cobb are well documented. Cobb is not the film most people expected it to be and it ranks among the biggest flops in box office history. The story however is one you haven't heard before and is performed admirably by an all-star cast. This is not your typical baseball movie, but rather a moving look at a man who was destine to either be a legend or an inmate.
Joseph E

September 23, 2009
I thought Shelton hit a Grand Slam at first, only to realize it was in a 45-12 blow out! This movie is okay, yet some will loath it at it's core.
Ian I

December 15, 2011
Okay, so yes I know it doesn't have that many baseball scenes in it and it only details the last days of his life, but Tommy Lee Jone's performance is so great, that I'm surprised he didn't get oscar or golden globe nominations. If you understand who Ty Cobb was, his personality, or the way he acted won't like this film. I you want to know more about Cobb and the way he was than see this film. Also it includes great performances by other actors as old baseball players like Mickey Cochrane, Sam Crawford, and Jimmie Foxx. Robert Wuhl's performance as Al Stump was also great. The baseball scenes that are featured are all great.
July 12, 2012
My main complaint is that it is advertised as a baseball movie (the poster has Cobb dressed in uniform holding a bat) when in reality there is little baseball to be seen in the film. I really would have loved to have seen more of Ty Cobb's antics on field, but this film has a darker focus. And contrary to what others have written I don't believe Tommy Lee Jones really captured Cobb's persona, but it is a well made film aside from that. (First and only viewing - November 2013)
Brody M

March 12, 2012
Tommy Lee was great as Ty Cobb.There were times where I wanted to strangle him, Times where I truly felt sorry for the guy & some times I couldnt help but laugh.Cobb reminded me of those old people who are cranky & sometimes mean but once you get to truly know them, They're alright.Cobb is worth taking a look at but nothing I'd probably watch more then once
jjb3332003
March 30, 2009
The biographical background was interesting and Tommy Lee Jones was good. Perhaps too good, as it was a bit painful to watch his portrayal of what appeared to be a very evil man. Robert Wuhl was just plain annoying.
MovieGuruDude72
July 12, 2007
I love Tommy Lee Jones, but his portrayal of Ty Cobb was as laughable as John Goodman's Babe Ruth. Over the top and lame. Ty Cobb was NOT nearly as cantankerous as Jones portrays him. Of course Ty Cobb was accused of killing a man and was one of the dirtiest players to ever play on a baseball diamond. But Jones was just too over the top for this one, which takes away from his performance big time.
January 22, 2007
Great movie Tommy lee Jones played Ty Cobb just right. From all reserch and reading on Cobb TLJ played him right. Great baseball movie....
John Tandlich
June 30, 2014
Tommy Lee Jones gives one of his best performances in his portrayal of Ty Cobb. Jones immerses himself in the role of one of the greatest baseball players ever. He's angry, racist, disgusting, and ultimately a sad broken man. Robert Wuhl, as the sportswriter hired by Cobb to write his biography, is Cobb's foil throughout the film; injecting a little more hilarity in his guise as straight man Al Stump. Very similar to his role on the HBO series "Arliss".

Instead of telling a straight chronological biography, Cobb starts in 1961, the year of Cobb's death. Riddled with cancer, among other medical problems, and sensing the end is near, Cobb hires Al Stump to write his biography, or at least a sanitized version of it. Stump agrees - while secretly writing a second biography to be published after Cobb's death - traveling with Cobb to a Hall of Fame dinner in Cooperstown and then down to Cobb's hometown in Georgia. Along the way, Stump learns that all of the legends about Cobb's temper and vile behavior are true. Although we are given some of Cobb's past via flashbacks and the stories that he tells, we are shown surprisingly little baseball. There's really only one scene of it in the entire film where we see Cobb faceoff with a pitcher (played by real life pitcher Roger Clemens and then steal a couple of bases with his famous high-spiking slide. I found this lack of baseball to be unsatisfying.

While this movie does a great job of showing what type of man Cobb was and Tommy Lee Jones delivers a great performance as the baseball legend, overall the movie never lives up to either the character or the actor. It wants to make a statement about heroes and reality, but it never really gets there. Cobb, the movie, isn't great, but Cobb, the man, as acted by Jones, is fascinating
Only the long dead Cobb and Al Stump himself know how much of this is fact and how much is fiction, but one thing is for certain, it makes for a damn fine tale and goes some way to explaining one of the most hated, yet loved, figures in baseball history.
May 1, 2013
Great movie, could use more actual baseball in it though.
April 19, 2013
Sort of baseball's answer to 'Mommie Dearest', Shelton's spiteful, darkly funny tale of one of the sport's most controversial icons boasts a scene-stealing Tommy Lee Jones as Cobb, who is by turns repulsive, hysterical and fascinating: a man who talks about greatness, yet himself is highly flawed. Couple that with some really amusing dialogue, slick direction by Shelton (which includes some of the best 'mock black and white' I've ever seen) and a both moving yet unsettling score from Elliot Goldenthal, and you have one of the more daring sports films out there, even if it never fully explores its ideas about 'heroes' or Cobb's dual persona of 'legend' & 'devil' deep enough.
horse c.
February 22, 2013
An El Crapola baseball movie !
Ian I

December 15, 2011
January 19, 2013
Very much an underrated film, Tommy Lee Jones was spectacular in this and Robert Wuhl didn't detract from the product
December 19, 2012
A difficult film to judge because Cobb is so unlikable but Jones is so fantastic in portraying him.
jesse c.
November 9, 2011
Although Cobb may appear to be a biography, it mostly follows around Cobb and his biographer as they tour the country. Jones rarely reflects on his playing days, compared to other bioepics, and the film tends to paint Ty Cobb in a negative light. Cobb is overly racist, abusive, and spends most of the movie drowning pills with hard liqour. Some intresting facts perserve for baseball fans, but if you truly want to understand Cobb's life, look elsewhere.
October 31, 2011
An incredible autobiography of a hateful, yet super talented ballplayer. Tommy Lee Jones is both hateful and somewhat sympathetic at times. Includes humor, drama and baseball. Best baseball movie I have seen and very entertaining.
Papa D
May 28, 2011
I respect the history of baseball. That's what bothers me about this movie, was Ty Cobb one of the worst human beings ever to live...well it appears that way but why portray him that way? Why make him into a monster instead of celebrating one of the top five greatest hitters of all-time. You just saw how hated he was, his demise...the scene at the end when he finds his 'true' biography that his 'closest friend' wrote was horrible...he looks in the mirror, coughing up blood and it doesn't seem like he sees anyone back.

Tommy Lee Jones says it best in the movie, "Are you going to tell them I'm the greatest ballplayer of all-time or the greatest bastard of all-time...who the f*ck cares??"
March 7, 2011