Cocalero

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cocalero Reviews

July 19, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Cocalero" is an illuminating verite documentary about the 2005 Bolivian national elections, focusing on the MAS(Movement Toward Socialism)candidate Evo Morales. MAS is a coalition of several groups, all fighting against capitalism and neoliberalism, including unions, miners, the poor, indigenous and especially coca farmers(Morales was formerly one and comes off here remarkably down to earth. However, he does not swim very well...) who instead of being approached to open a dialogue are being brutally repressed under the aegis of the United States' misbegotten war on drugs.(George Carlin had a creative solution to the war on drugs, just not one I could endorse...) The documentary makes a very fine point that coca leaves are not just used for the processing of cocaine which is something that happens in the United States. In the end, the farmers prefer to handle justice amongst themselves. [/font]
April 5, 2013
I'll let you know....gonna watch it tonight.
andres74varela
July 10, 2011
Interesante coom documento historico e informativo pero solo muestra la parte "positiva" de Evo sin cuestionar para nada su carrera. Imagino que ese era el compromiso para dejarse filmar por lo que el documental queda solo como algo intersante de las cosas que uno puede ver en NatGeo o en Discovery.
October 31, 2010
I wanted to know more about Evo Morales after watching him knee an opponent in the groin on the pitch--my first impression was not a positive indication of this politician's ethics. I got a different perspective in this film; though not a vanity piece, I did see his dedication to the coca unions and the indigenous people of Bolivia. My favorite part was an interview with an elderly man when he said, "The coca fields have a story. We did not turn our coca fields in a drug; the US turned it into a drug. We are innocent. They have come and made drugs out of our sacred leaf. And they are the ones who use it. They are the ones who demand it. We can control the situation ourselves without the US military intervention. . .we can apply our community justice.

July 19, 2008