Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky Reviews

June 14, 2010
A soulless romance that lacks intensity and passion, with an atypically awkward Mads Mikkelsen and an insipid Anna Mouglalis trying hard to appear sophisticated but forgetting to look human - her character even mourns the death of her lover but we cannot see or feel her pain.
½ April 12, 2011
A beautifully shot, well-acted film, about two interesting, dynamic characters. This film was gorgeous, and passionate. Unfortunately the stately pace of the film descends at times into long, meaningful looks that are just too artsy for their own good. But it is still worth the time, because its design and performances do carry us through the occasional lulls. Do not expect much in the way of explanation of resolution about other affairs in his life (family, music, etc.). The movie is beautiful, but ends rather abruptly.
Bathsheba Monk
½ September 12, 2010
It takes a while for movies (especially foreign movies) to make it out here, but this one was worth waiting for. It was gorgeous! And it shed some light on a "collaboration" if that is the right word between these two creative giants. And it also made me realize just how jaded we have become: an affair used to be a marriage deal-breaker, not just business as usual. Worth seeing for the historical significance--I had no idea that Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused riots in the theatre!--and the sheer beauty of that era. I (almost) wished I were there.
Harlequin68
August 13, 2011
"Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" starts in 1913 as a new ballet is being performed in Paris to a less than rapt audience. Instead of running away to stay one step ahead of the mob, composer Igor Stravinsky(Mads Mikkelsen) is bent on critiquing the dancers while Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel(Anna Mouglalis) almost has an orgasm just from being in the audience. Seven years later, Stravinsky is one of many Russian exiles living in Paris. Chanel offers him and his family her country villa to stay at but out of pride he refuses. Changing his mind is worries over his wife Katerina's(Elena Morozova) health.

"Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" is an intriguing, handsomely produced and great looking bit of speculation centered around the collision of like-minded and obsessed individuals who would both change the world.(You have to figure Stravinsky is on the right track with the extremely mixed reaction he gets.) While I do applaud any movie that leaves things unsaid, it is more than a little disappointing how little passion is on display. Otherwise, I do not have much problem with the deliberate pace, even though the opening dance scene probably goes on too long. A couple of cinematic flourishes help offset that.
½ June 3, 2011
Just saw this on Starz, sometimes I'm not in the Mood for Subtitles, but here I didn't notice.Lovely, & Visually Stunning
July 21, 2010
A side of Chanel in history often not referenced. French language; subtitles. Beautiful sets, eye candy, and of course music.
½ April 25, 2011
Interesting to learn about her life. She was extremely independent for her time which is an inspiration. The movie/Coco are much more risky than I thought it/she would be.
½ April 16, 2011
good historical drama about the relationship between these 2 famous figures who at first seem like an odd or unlikely combo.
½ December 16, 2010
I can understand why most critics didn't react to this movie, it is slow paced and nothing much happens. But I was enthralled by it. The cinematography, the art direction, the staging of the famous premiere of The Rite of Spring, are all magnificent. And the actors look awesome.
½ November 27, 2010
I cannot really call it a great film but only a good film. The costume design was beautiful as well as the production designed. The acting was good, particulary the actress that played katia who was heartbreaking. I think faults lie in the screenplay, I would have liked more development of CoCo and Igor. Anyways If you are in to period films this worth a watch, if you are obessed with costume design particulary the 1920's this is a must own. I happend to fall into the second group.
October 14, 2010
I think Chanel is increasingly becoming a person u would have loved to have met. She was strong when it send she wanted to break down & cry. I do adore her, even amidst her affairs...she had great taste!
October 11, 2010
I was expecting something more interesting. Fortunately, the photography is good, so people don't get that bored. Also, I ended up having mixed feelings towards Chanel... just like the feelings I have for this movie!
½ October 6, 2010
Another year ... another Coco Chanel bio. There was a TV tribute film starring Shirley MacLaine a couple of years ago and last year saw the release of Coco Avant Chanel. While this one premiered in Europe last year, it made it stateside in 2010 -- hence 3 Coco films in 3 years. While I do agree that she was a godsend to women's fashion, I don't know if Coco The Person merits three films because ALL of them have turned out like a piece of her clothing: fFabulous and gorgeous to look at (finely tailored, trimmed and edited nicely) but empty on the inside. I didn't feel the emotion of this put-upon relationship from either party. Igor is married and has a large set of children and they all move in with Coco when times get tough (for the Russians -- Coco is rich!). There WAS a relationship between this pair and the film hints at it and shows it to us rather oddly ... it wasn't necessarily convincing. I am waiting for the ultimate Coco romance with her and Boy; but since he was a supporting player in Coco Avant Chanel it might not happen. Neither character comes across as overly likable -- but we are told that Coco is "generous" and kind and caring ... we just never really see it. We see her cold and calculatinng and business-like ... throughout the entire film. If you love her clothes, you may love this film; but I am not sure ... it is a film in which not much really happens to shape either of their lives. He was her rebound and not many "rebounds" get a movie made about them (yea for him!); but -- like the other films -- I wanted more!
October 3, 2010
Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky is another missed effort in France's recent list of films based off the famous figure and has less of an impact than the decent Coco avant Chanel. The romance between Coco and Igor here is too formulated while also trying to give some impressions to other classic romances as seen in Becoming Jane or Bright Star that end up failing. The performances are weak and a bit too stale. The only positives the film has are it's costume and set design but those pieces always work in these type of romance films. Though a weak story and weak performances due this film no good and it ends up being a large disappointment.
October 3, 2010
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky is a movie about an affair, an affair with no chemistry and no passion. Normally we would think that would be a bad thing. That it wouldn?t make any sense. But, because this affair involves Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky it makes plenty of sense. It?s a movie about a man who?s only true passion is his music, and it?s about a woman who so desires to be a strong, powerful and independent female public figure that she lives a love of showing no emotions to anyone.

Anna Mouglalis performance is much colder than Audrey Tautou?s version in Coco Before Chanel. In the latter, we sympathize with Coco and have a much deeper understanding of her. In Coco & Igor, we feel frustrated with the character of Coco Chanel. We never truly understand her and at moments we may not even like her. This movie probably is the more common portrayal of Coco Chanel.

I highly recommend you see both Coco Before Chanel, along With Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky. They are not actually related films, but they compliment each other perfectly.
October 2, 2010
Sumptuously photographed and beautifully acted dramatization of the passionate but short-lived affair between its titular subjects is one of the best films of the year.
November 28, 2009
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky is a web of emotions, relationships and images. It stumbles with pacing but makes up for it with rich visuals and a dreamlike ending that mirrors Coco Before Chanel's. Stay until the credits end for a frightening scene that stirred up some fun ideas on romance, love and memory for myself.
June 14, 2010
½ July 3, 2015
But The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water is 26% better than this according to this site so...
February 11, 2015
One of my favorite films!