Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky Reviews

½ April 12, 2011
A beautifully shot, well-acted film, about two interesting, dynamic characters. This film was gorgeous, and passionate. Unfortunately the stately pace of the film descends at times into long, meaningful looks that are just too artsy for their own good. But it is still worth the time, because its design and performances do carry us through the occasional lulls. Do not expect much in the way of explanation of resolution about other affairs in his life (family, music, etc.). The movie is beautiful, but ends rather abruptly.
Bathsheba Monk
½ September 12, 2010
It takes a while for movies (especially foreign movies) to make it out here, but this one was worth waiting for. It was gorgeous! And it shed some light on a "collaboration" if that is the right word between these two creative giants. And it also made me realize just how jaded we have become: an affair used to be a marriage deal-breaker, not just business as usual. Worth seeing for the historical significance--I had no idea that Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused riots in the theatre!--and the sheer beauty of that era. I (almost) wished I were there.
June 14, 2010
This is Coco après Chanel, a soulless film that fails virtually in every aspect. Mouglalis is insipid, trying hard to be elegant and chic, and her character mourns the death of her lover but you never see or feel her pain. Mikkelsen is awkward, and the love story lifeless, just like everything else in this disastrous film.
Harlequin68
August 13, 2011
"Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" starts in 1913 as a new ballet is being performed in Paris to a less than rapt audience. Instead of running away to stay one step ahead of the mob, composer Igor Stravinsky(Mads Mikkelsen) is bent on critiquing the dancers while Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel(Anna Mouglalis) almost has an orgasm just from being in the audience. Seven years later, Stravinsky is one of many Russian exiles living in Paris. Chanel offers him and his family her country villa to stay at but out of pride he refuses. Changing his mind is worries over his wife Katerina's(Elena Morozova) health.

"Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" is an intriguing, handsomely produced and great looking bit of speculation centered around the collision of like-minded and obsessed individuals who would both change the world.(You have to figure Stravinsky is on the right track with the extremely mixed reaction he gets.) While I do applaud any movie that leaves things unsaid, it is more than a little disappointing how little passion is on display. Otherwise, I do not have much problem with the deliberate pace, even though the opening dance scene probably goes on too long. A couple of cinematic flourishes help offset that.
½ June 3, 2011
Just saw this on Starz, sometimes I'm not in the Mood for Subtitles, but here I didn't notice.Lovely, & Visually Stunning
½ April 25, 2011
Interesting to learn about her life. She was extremely independent for her time which is an inspiration. The movie/Coco are much more risky than I thought it/she would be.
½ April 16, 2011
good historical drama about the relationship between these 2 famous figures who at first seem like an odd or unlikely combo.
½ November 27, 2010
I cannot really call it a great film but only a good film. The costume design was beautiful as well as the production designed. The acting was good, particulary the actress that played katia who was heartbreaking. I think faults lie in the screenplay, I would have liked more development of CoCo and Igor. Anyways If you are in to period films this worth a watch, if you are obessed with costume design particulary the 1920's this is a must own. I happend to fall into the second group.
½ July 3, 2015
But The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water is 26% better than this according to this site so...
February 11, 2015
One of my favorite films!
½ August 11, 2013
Why must every French movie elevate you to the highest high when the characters are in love but inevitably every affair is doomed to failure? Watch it for the first 10 minutes when Stravinsky's Rite of Spring incites a riot (which is not exactly shown in the film) and the fashion --those clean lines in Chanel's design --and her uncompromising character in the film. And the lovemaking --sometimes you forget you are watching soft pr0n and wish real life boinking could have as much passion as in the film!!
½ April 6, 2013
I really loved this movie for making its lead characters so damn unlikable. It's refreshingly human.
February 10, 2013
A disgrace to the memory of one of the greatest composers of all time. A bunch of dismal fictional bullshit. A pathetic joke.Shameful.
March 25, 2012
a wonderfull direction in art, though, an amature take on movie making.
January 10, 2012
What a lack of a good script, boring, slow, non-sensical. Beautiful in terms of scenary, clothing, location but that's pretty much it. I want my money back.
October 25, 2011
Beautifully shot but disappointing overall :S
Harlequin68
August 13, 2011

June 28, 2011
Tuesday, June 28, 2011

(2009) Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky
(In French with English subtitles)
ROMANTIC DRAMA/ BASED ON A TRUE STORY

Film depicting an affair between Coco Chanel (whose popular brand name associated with perfume and other cosmetic products for women) and music composer Igor Stravinsky! Common story we've probably seen about a million times except this one is one of the slowest to go about it, where the famous composer gets ridiculed for controversial music - he and and his family go into hiding and get invited to stay at an extravangant mansion owned by Chanel who slowly starts to elecit an affair who already has a family. And since he can't make out with his ill stricken-looking wife, who contracted some kind of illness unexplained to the viewers he does express this kind of sexual frustration on Chanel!

If theirs one film that would get my vote as one of the most boring films ever made- this one would be a very good candidate, and the reason is that if viewers can use a "fast forward" button throughout, perhaps until near the end, s/he would pretty much understand the entire film. For two hours, one could understand this type of setting on a 45 minute drama show- why waste time watching it stretch to 2 hours in length about two upper class aristocrats. And the thing is, if it was about 2 nobodies no one ever had even heard of before, who would watch it!

One more thing about this movie is that, I swear I got more interesting stuff from watching the 30 minute "behind the scenes" xtras than I did from the movie!

For $2.00- this is probably all it's worth!
2 out of 4
½ May 20, 2011
Very beautiful looking film and it makes good use of the Stravinsky music to heighten the tension.
½ February 21, 2011
Since discovering Mads Mikkelsen as Igor I've seen every one of his movies and picked up a smattering of Danish in the process. Fabulous. 5 woofs.