Cocoon: The Return Reviews

½ November 2, 2012
This movie doesn't really have much purpose, especially considering the amazing ending to the first film, but it's a ok watch which is boosted by the performances from the original cast. They give it something of a heart and warmth, but overall it's not something that everyone should see.
½ November 20, 2007
A pretty decent sequel.
August 15, 2009
It's hard to believe that "Cocoon 2 - The Return" isn't more popular. The main cast from the original "Cocoon" return to earth and plan to visit for a few days. While the main cast is visiting with their family and friends, some oceanographers find a cocoon in an ocean and take it back to research it in the labs. Once the others that are here visiting find out, they pledge to save it before they leave.
While they're here on earth, they try to set Bernie up with a new woman, even though his dead wife, Rose, is still on his mind all the time. More than half of the ones that came back to earth decide to stay at the end of the movie. Alma Finley finds out she has a liking for taking care of kids while her husband, Joe, is out enjoying himself with the other guys. She gets hit by a car trying to save one of the kids from being hit, and ends up in the hospital on the verge of death. The doctor tells Mr. Finley that she probably won't make it through the night. That's when the most memorable scene from the movie takes place. Mr. Finley goes in there and with the help of some good special effects, sacrifices his life for his wife to live and take the job with the kids like she wanted to.

Ben Luckett gets closer to his grandson by teaching him how to hit a baseball and to not listen to the other people telling him he can't do it, but to tell himself that he can. Ben's wife, Mary also doesn't want to go away from earth again.

While "Cocoon 2 - The Return" might not be as funny or original as the first "Cocoon," it does have a few funny parts and succeeds in other ways. It's a lot more of a heartwarming movie than it is a comedy and it's pretty much a laidback version of the original "Cocoon." If you liked the original, I would definitely recommend getting "Cocoon 2 - The Return." Even if you didn't like the original, give this one a chance because it is a good movie. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I have to say I don't remember much from this sequel, other than being amazed at the special f/x for the time, but I do remember feeling strongly about it for awhile after I saw it. I need and want to see it again.
½ August 4, 2007
A load of fun, as the senior citizens from the original film come back to Earth to help their alien friends. The seniors have another chance to strut their youthfulness and visit their families - and some ponder their future. The cocoon-retrieval is a bit like Star Trek IV. It is a touching film for grandchildren too!
May 28, 2007
The old coots return to earth and boast about their hard-ons/breakdance/beat the kids at basketball blah blah blah. We saw all this in the first one, thanks.
½ March 13, 2007
This film seems less enjoyable of senior folks' fantasy than the original.
January 14, 2007
It's good to see Barret Oliver grown up --
½ December 28, 2006
The aliens are back and they brought the old people with them.
April 11, 2007
Shockingly not too bad a Sequel, "Daniel Petrie" mocked my thoughts, to a lesser thought of believing a second would ruin the first one entirely, yet it still left an impression and mark on me. I enjoyed the idea and plot of the second Cocoon, However it was not the original "Cocoon".
½ April 3, 2012
Not as sweet and innocent as the original this is still a pleasant return for all the main characters and the actors give it their all. The sub-plot of one of the cocoon's being discovered by scientists is unnecessary but at least it gives us a chance to see a pre-Friends Cox. There is nothing we haven't already seen in the previous film but I dare you not to shed a tear when Cronyn sacrifices himself for Tandy, especially when you know that they were actualy married.
½ December 25, 2007
½ March 14, 2009
This movie simply has no reason to exist. Awkward and tacked-on, the movie plays out like they just had no idea for a sequel but wanted to make one anyway. Nothing about it is enjoyable.
½ January 18, 2010
A completely unneccessary sequel that feels like a grandparents' visit - it may be nice to see them, but it's ultimately dull and a little depressing. Added in is the tired plot of misguided scientists playing with powers beyond their understanding. Lacking the fun, upbeatness of the original, and with an inexcusable amount of plot holes, it's no surprise Ron Howard's name isn't on this one.
½ July 21, 2008
Daniel Petrie took this sequel to the original flick based on a badly hacked up script, as the original writer's idea was rejected, and the story suffers from being a weak retread because of it. The old folks return from space only to find that although they're frisky again, they can ever go back.
½ June 5, 2008
This was cute and touching as was the first one. As often happens in sequals, it was not as good as the first but worth a watch if you have nothing better to do.
June 4, 2007
It was decent. Not as good as the first one, but if you liked Cocoon you'll probably enjoy this as well.
February 26, 2007
Wow, getting younger - young enough to get pregnant? Not very believable really but VERY entertaining!
½ October 31, 2006
"I'm going to a place where I'll never get sick, I'll never get old, and I'll never die." And yet it produced a sequel for whatever the hell reason I don't know. This one was good but the sequel was lame.
½ April 15, 2015
They really never should have come back.
April 10, 2015
I actually liked this one more than the original. I think this one is less awkward than the first and has more of a message to it dealing with immortality. Elaine Stritch steals the show as the new addition to the cast and Jessica Tandy really is a stand out in this one. Jack Gilford is great just like he was in the first and Wilfrod Brimely too. I just felt like this one really had more to it in terms of a plot and a look on life itself.