63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Collateral Reviews

Kevin C

June 27, 2013
A captivating, accelerative, albeit glossily cliched ride through LA after dark. Shout-out to the horrible soundtrack and the awfully boring side characters.
3niR
3niR

June 28, 2012
I'm definitely not comfortable seeing Tom Cruise in negative character but he was good.
Lucas M

April 1, 2012
One of the best films by Michael Mann.
Albert K

September 18, 2010
Super underrated film. In my opinion, Tom Cruise's best performance. Dialogue could use a lot of work and there was pretty bad editing. Tom Cruise carries this movie. Great and engaging character development. The cinematography is definitely worth mentioning. Great crime movie.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 11, 2009
It gave a lot of respect for Jamie Foxx and it was pretty interesting.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
One of Tom Cruises best films. Outstanding.
Sophie B

July 22, 2007
Good cast with a chemistry. Both believable in their roles. Good narrative however I found the end unsatisfactory.
Kase V

April 23, 2011
A very well written film that really puts Michael Mann in the spotlight as the director. But it's hard not to notice the brilliance of the script. Everything was pitch-perfect in that aspect. A thrilling ride that just does not stop, and continues to get better and more exciting with each contract completed by a menacing Tom Cruise. This is definitely one of his better roles. Enjoy this suspenseful, tightly-wound script and movie. You won't be disappointed.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 21, 2011
I saw this movie really late at night, and how surprised would I be to discover I was watching a really cool and almost flawless movie. Collaterol was tremendously acted, great moral, and awesome plot. Nothing really went wrong until probably the end where I wanted to know what happens to Jamie Foxx now. But other than that small flaw, this is the perfect movie.
Dan S

July 23, 2007
A well-casted, well-scripted yarn concerning a taxi cab driver (Jamie Foxx) who picks up the wrong guy (a hitman, played by Tom Cruise) who hires him for the night to drive him around as he offs certain individuals. While there aren't as many action bangs as in Mann's previous work (see "Heat") it certainly is impressive in many aspects, especially capturing the L.A. night scene. The twist at the end of the film is disappointing since it is really very predictable, which weighs the film down to a large extent seeing it ties everything together a bit too neatly. Still probably worth seeing just for the electric performances by both Cruise and Foxx.
Christopher A

January 13, 2011
Despite rave reviews, I found this to be a film of two halves. The first half of the film was slow, dull and unengaging to say the least. Tom Cruise plays the hitman Vincent who forces an unwitting taxi driver (Jamie Foxx) to drive him to each of the hits. Who is he killing? Who knows. Why is he killing them? Who cares. Michael Mann has made a lackluste effort at trying to apply depth to either character and we're left feeling "so what?"

However, I did say this was a film of two halves. The final 30 minutes turns into a fast paced thriller, drawing the audience out of their slumber and making them pay notice. Tom Cruise is slick throughout but is really put to good use as the cat and mouse chase ensues.

Overall I was dissapointed with Collateral,Its not as clever as it tries to be but people will pretend it is.

"Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, in a speck on one in a blink. That's us, lost in space. The cop, you, me... Who notices?"
Adam M

December 13, 2010
Tom Cruise's best performance since Risky Business (or maybe War of the Worlds). Jamie Foxx doesn't do a performance, as much as an impression of a person who has to workxx and savexx for a livingxx.

High-concept with some good dialogue, but veers into phony existentialism and Die-Hard territory, where everyone else is stupid and clueless except for the everyman-hero, one supporting cop and a psychopath. Ending shots and dialogue are very anticlimactic. High-definition video payday for Michael Mann.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 7, 2010
Collateral is one of the best Thriller films from director Michael Mann. Just when you thought Michael Mann's masterwork Heat was the ultimate in thrills, Mann cooks up a new breed of thriller. Tom Cruise delivers one of his most blood chilling performances of his career, and he truly gives his all in this film. The cinematography is excellent and is a high point of this film. A well directed and and acted film, Collateral Follows cab driver Max as he's the unwilling accomplice of Vincent a hitman that has been paid to wipe out key witnesses of a drug cartel. Max becomes collateral as Vincent takes max along for the ride. A high tension thriller; this is quite possibly the greatest Tom Cruise film. I'm a big Michael Mann fan, and when he makes a crime film or Thriller, he really delivers some great on screen. Long after he's gone he'll most likely be remembered for Heat, but Collateral remains a solid piece of work, and is one of his greatest films. To summarize, Collateral is a solid film that will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. This is a film that will please anyone looking for a phenomenal Crime Thriller. A good cast along with a great script combined with Michael Mann's solid directing make Collateral a film that definitely shouldn't be missed.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 8, 2010
"Collateral" is my favorite film from Michael Mann (a director whose work is not highly regarded in my book). I do however find this to be a muscular, intense, thrilling, smart and character driven film. Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx have sizzling chemistry and the cinematography is dazzling- I am obsessed with how they shoot and use LA in this film. "Collateral" also has a nice storytelling prowess with how it connects its plot, its characters and its action.
KJ P

January 18, 2010
Amazing story! Tom Cruise has never been better!
Lady D

August 3, 2006
I have to admit Tom Cruise was a slick, smooth cold blooded killer in this film and I think its his most natural performance to date. An enjoyable performance too by Jamie Foxx and an almost unrecognisable (small) role for Javier Bardem.

Quite an original idea for a hitman film and one that is a exciting watch.
Conner R

December 2, 2009
It's not particularly that great of a film, Tom Cruise was just so unbelievably good that it makes it a worthwhile film. He was just a complete 360 from anything I could ever see him in. He changed everything about him from a physical and emotional standpoint. I have no idea why he did not win an academy award for this, maybe he was just too good.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
I love the way in which Collateral is filmed but I can't say I thought much of the story or the acting.
skactopus
skactopus

June 18, 2009
Michael Mann and his crime thrillers seem to find a way to stand out among many other films.The story behind Collateral is straight forward and what makes it interesting is the fact that it spans only 1 night. At just under 2 hours, the pacing is moderate and there are only a few times where the movie drags. The characters do keep it entertaining. The beginning does a nice job at building up Jamie Foxx's character and also secretly setting up the story. The rest of the film is all suspense and violence.There are moments where this picture looks as if it is a B-movie. The resolution is a bit grainy at times and some of the camera angles do seem amateurish, however we all know that Michael Mann is behind the scenes making everything work.A contract killer is a bit of a different role for Tom Cruise and, as usual, he pulls it off. Jamie Foxx also delivers a good performance. Mark Ruffalo and Peter Berg's characters go nowhere as they just add a little more diversity to the story. Jada Pinkett Smith and Javier Bardem also have integral roles in the picture.Collateral is not as explosive as action thrillers go, but the story and lead characters keep this one entertaining to the end.