Color of a Brisk and Leaping Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Color of a Brisk and Leaping Day Reviews

Harlequin68
December 11, 2011
As anybody who has read this film blog over the years can tell you, I am not at all fond of nostalgia. The lone exception to that rule involves trains which is where "Color of a Brisk and Leaping Day" comes in. That, the crisp black and white cinematography and a surprisingly fine turn from Henry Gibson are sadly the only elements that merit the film the barest of recommendations.

In the waning days of World War II, John Lee(Peter Alexander), a college engineering dropout who repairs trolleys in Los Angeles, is inspired by tales of his late grandfather, who he never met, working on building the transcontinental railroad to reinvigorate the moribund Yosemite Valley Railroad. So while there is some interesting history on display, it is also a little inaccurate in being about a decade too early in depicting the fall of the railroad and the rise of the automobile and freeway, not to mention the airplane.
Harlequin68
December 11, 2011

January 31, 2009
I really wanted to(and expected to) like this movie a lot more than I did. Yeah, some very cool cinematography, but the acting really didn't hit the right notes I don't think. At points it was really good, but the characters were just uneven, some scenes were emotionally spot-on, and the others were totally bizarre. Ant there was all this weird sexual tension going on that was totally out of place or not intended or something that had nothing at all to do with the story, pretty distracting, unless it was supposed to be part of the film which I don't think it was at all. Like weren't they supposed to be brother and sister? Weird. Miachael Stipe was actually really good though, so big props there. The narration, gah! A very worthy effort, but just too clumsy I thought.
August 8, 2008
great train movie I love trains