20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Come Early Morning Reviews

John B

June 17, 2013
Allegedly this is the ultimate art film of the country hillbilly woman. What it reminds us is that some lives are too boring to put on the screen even in the name of art.
April 11, 2013
This is a quietly powerful film about small-town Southern living that avoids all the usual clichés and makes us feel as if we're dropping in on real lives in mid-stream.
December 17, 2012
A solid drama with Ashley Judd giving a standout performance. It will remind you of her other film Ruby in Paradise. In this one, she plays Lucy, a woman who drinks too much and sleeps with a lot of different guys. She also has family issues to deal with including her dad who doesn't want to see her. A really good and emotional film with an effective directing debut by actress Joey Lauren Adams. Don't pass on this one.
October 26, 2012
An inspired, powerful and terrific directorial debut for Joey Lauren Adams(of "Chasing Amy" fame)who wonderful proves herself as an effortless, gifted filmmaker and a remarkably good writer....Ashley Judd gives one of the best, greatest performances of her career.
September 10, 2012
Great movie. There's a sublety to its realism and it doesn't try to force the viewer to accept the plot. That's probably because the acting is so terrific. Not perfect, but still a good flim.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 21, 2012
"Come Early Morning" starts with Lucy(Ashley Judd), a building contractor, taking the walk of shame but not so much that she insists on paying for the motel room. In talking to Doll(Candyce Hinkle), she finds out her dad(Scott Wilson) is back in town. Seeing a chance at reconciliation, she accompanies him to the new church he is attending. When that old time religion does not stick, Lucy is back to the old grind at the local honky tonk where she gets into a fight with a fellow patron that Cal(Jeffrey Donovan), who is new in town, helps to break up and then takes a liking to her.

Without much of a story to speak of, "Come Early Morning" has to rely on the charms of its rough hewn subjects to engage the audience with the study of a character who is haunted by the past mistakes of her family, leading her to act impulsively, sometimes without the help of alcohol. Wrapping that all up, the movie is perfunctory in its conclusions but thankfully not its resolution. In this case, I would have to say that the country music and the religion add regional flavor instead of acting as stereotypes. Regardless, the movie is helped by a good cast that also includes Diane Ladd, Stacy Keach and Ray McKinnon, of which Ashley Judd fares best in a thoroughly lived in performance.
May 26, 2012
Judd is the whole show in this slowly-paced drama.
May 13, 2012
A low-key movie that really showcases Ashley Judds' acting. Not a lot of action but wonderful character development. About a person's journey to lay down the burden of her family's dysfunctions and discover fulfillment in life. So much of what happens takes place within the protagonist and it is wonderfully conveyed by Judd's body and facial expressions, and tone of voice. For instance, her face beautifully displays the shyness of her character when she has sex sober for the first time in her life. Set in Arkansas, the story is held together by a fondness for its non-urban locale and a genuine attempt to capture the people who live there.
April 21, 2012
THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAV. MOVIE the song she plays at the end is the best song ever>>>i'm just an old chunk of coal, but i'm goin be a diamond some day! that's me yepppers me alright !!!!
April 17, 2012
This was a pretty good movie. Not your regular ashely judd movie, but great if you can relate to it
April 10, 2012
excellent first writer/director attempt from joey lauren adams. i simply love it. very well written film
March 11, 2012
My only real objection to this film is that it seemed extraordinarily hard to suspend my disbelief that there would be two such extraordinarily beautiful women in a small town who would be roommates and not have bad hair and make-up.
October 22, 2011
The movie captures loneliness and despair of the self-destructing one-night-stand life of a girl from a split family plainly and truthfully played by Ashley Judd. There is no blunt happy end, instead, a hope for the transformation.
June 8, 2011
Hate Seeing someone I really like play such a Pathetic Character, I'm sure the Script seemed promising.
April 1, 2011
A Little country but I can dig it.
samanthaseaotter
February 9, 2011
I'll catch this one on cable.
Laura C

November 2, 2010
This film manages to capture loneliness, pain and despair in a way that felt utterly real. It actually hurt me to watch, but ultimately it was catharctic. A brilliant performance by Judd and gratifiying to see her in role that is worthy of her talent.
Written and directed by Joey Lauren Adams, perhaps it takes women writing and directing the roles they wish to see for women, just completely fleshed-out characters which I know I crave to see.
October 13, 2010
Come Early Morning didn't do a whole lot for me. I typically enjoy Ashley Judd but I found her acting to be rather flat. Perhaps it wasn't her fault and the character itself was just dull. The "romance" lacked emotion and I really didn't feel it. The acting of Laura Prepon was, however, a special treat.
se7enthangel
February 17, 2010
The movie is about a woman coming in to her own. Ashley Judd's character Lucy drinks a lot and has issues with intimacy. She is at an emotional crossroads. Lucy's struggle with her sense of self-worth is one that is familiar to many women. It is not a romantic movie and it's not a perfect drama but it is emotionally resonant and well crafted. Watch it for Judd's striking performance.