• PG-13, 1 hr. 27 min.

The Comebacks Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 30, 2013
The spoof genre, which has lacked creativity and humor for some time already, gets spat upon yet again by hacks with no talent. No point, no fun, no originality; just a few cheap bucks for the film makers.
It takes more than just referencing some recent movies and giving characters double-meaning names to be satire; to make people laugh. Any clod can pick up a cam-corder, and have some bad-acting buddies in cheap costumes imitate somebody. Since the genre being targeted this time is inspirational sports movies, there are a few lame references thrown out to movies of that type: the jokes are so weak the characters actually have to emphasize the references in various ways, to get you to laugh hysterically. It doesn't work.
That's not comedy. However, the same old worn out sophomoric "jokes" ripped off from a middle school washroom (done even more blandly than usual) are all here. If that's not enough, there's a running "gag" of a bus running somebody over. So funny, right? Also, one pathetically poor scene does more product placement than Michael Bay; again with the same unfunny results. A musical bit flops miserably. Pity Carl Weathers, once Apollo Creed in the Rocky series, now stuck with roles in swill like this.
Lousy beyond words. Watching a snail run the marathon would be less tedious than watching this film is. Probably a lot funnier, too. 1 Star 9-25-13
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 2, 2012
Decent and enjoyable spoof film; this is one of the better spoof films to come out recently. The film parodies several sports films, and does it well enough to keep you interested from start to finish. I enjoyed the film for what it was, and thought it was a decent comedy that had some good laughs. However after awhile, the film didn't know how to deliver its gags, and it got tiresome a bit. Nonetheless, this is far better than Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, etc. The cast do what they can with a sometimes lacking script, but despite this, The Comebacks is over the top fun and if you can get by how silly this film is, then you might enjoy it. I liked the film, but I felt it could have been better. However I'll admit it's the best spoof films to come around in a long time and despite its imperfections, it does manage to make you laugh because of its silliness. If you're in the mood for some decent laughs, then this film is the one to watch. As far as parody films are concerned, this one succeeds well enough for you to enjoy a mindless evening of laughs. Like I said, this is better than most spoof films, but towards the end it does lack a bit. But in the end, if you're in the mood, you're sure to enjoy this dimwitted comedy. Although it lacks in some areas, it makes up for it with it's over the top humor. A decent comedy in the end, The Comebacks is worth watching if you're in the right mood. However never expect anything great with this one.
KJ P

January 11, 2010
It is probably one of the funniest spoof movies out there, but when it comes down to it, it's still the same thing over and over again!
Phil H

October 25, 2007
Another crap spoof, and another crap football flick. This is just as bad as delta farce, alittle better but not much. It looks pretty naff and the comedy is nowhere to be found. The cast is D-list and there really isn't anything to recommend here haha maybe if you like American football.
Jose Z

October 21, 2007
The comebacks unlike other spoof movies is a film that really worked for me maybe because it parodied some of my favorite sports movies like Radio and because I'm a sports fan. It seems to me that the people in charge of the movie did a really good effort adding things that likes to the people. It is really funny, the jokes aren't as repeatable as the other movies. The cast gives really decent performances, David Koechner receives his opportunity in a leading role after a bunch of secondary ones in many movies and I think that he didn't disappoint, Matthew Lawrence, Carl Weathers and Brooke Nevin also give a very good acting job. In conclusion, to be a spoof movie, it is a very good option to enjoy and spend a very good time.
Bobby H

December 14, 2008
This movie was not half bad. There were some decent named actors that made it more bearable to watch, some hot girls, and some pretty funny parts.

The direct spoof's of each sports film actually were all pretty funny scenes, it's the rest of the movie that lacks creativity. The rest of the movie is like any typical spoof movie of the 2000 era - there more stupid then funny. This movie is one of those movies that can be good, if your in the right mood, but it's not a classic film either.

Overall this is a funny movie that one could watch if really bored or hanging out with some friends just for a few laughs. It's not a movie to take serious and does a bad job of coming up with a decent storyline beyond the direct spoof's of each movie. I personally would watch it but I think most people will probably ask the same question that we all ask of hollywood spoof movies today.

Is Stupid and Comedy the same thing? I don't think it is...
deano
deano

March 26, 2008
Little yawn! Quite very little funny spoofs of all inspirational sports movies, but this is full of college football. Too bad, it has none of any nudity scenes in this rated MA comedy film.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 24, 2007
Just a funny movie to watch when your bored and hanging out with your friends, that's exactly what kinda movie this is. From the producers of Wedding Crashers, THE COMEBACKS is a hilarious comedy that spoofs the best inspirational sports movies ever made. The film stars David Koechner, best known for his role as "Champ" in Anchorman, and Carl Weathers. THE COMEBACKS spoofs such classic sports movies including Rocky, Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights, Field of Dreams, Stick It, and Blue Crush just to name a few.
Apeneck F

November 6, 2007
okay, so it's a pathetic comedy w/o a brain to call it's own, all of it's main ideas simply smirking at ideas from only about a million other movies, but mainly recent "come-from-behind-loser-makes-good" "classics". "remember the titans"? that said, and you know it going in the door, you might be surprised w/ a coupla sneaky smiles (but no out and out laffs!). call this one a guilty afternoon time waster...
kpn666
kpn666

October 28, 2007
This is actually pretty funny... much better than the crappy Scary movies and other disgusting spoofs... some real slap stick humor and good lines and moments which make this pretty entertaining, though wackier than Willy Wonka.

Imagine all the inspirational sports movies you've ever seen, all twisted and turned and thrown into this one, and you get the idea, and there are some good moments when you least expect it. ^_^

much better than other spoofs.
stevetheman1236
stevetheman1236

August 15, 2011
Awful in every way possible, so I'll give it a negative rating, but, despite that, I'll admit that it does have some pretty funny moments.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

September 21, 2009
"The Comebacks" is a stupid yet entertaining comedy that spoofs modern sports movies. There were some funny and clever jokes but it was usually crude humor, using a sexual reference for almost everything and anything. Not bad...I've seen worse!

Entertaining rendition of the song "Don't stop believing" by Journey!
Yinalí R

December 9, 2007
A not so funny movie. But it was entertaining.
William G

October 23, 2007
As inept a genre parody as we've seen of late. Can't even meet me halfway, people?
Stephen E

November 29, 2011
Nate H

July 28, 2009
Quite terrible.
Remi L

April 2, 2009
Another one of those spoof movies. This film should've been entitled 'Sports Movie', it would've gotten more attention then.

When put up next to the first three Scary Movies, it doesn't really compare. But the jokes aren't as nasty, and I'll be honest, I just wanted to see Matthew Lawrence with his shirt off
chadroesti
chadroesti

February 4, 2008
Not too bad for a spoof movie. Actually had a few lines that I laughed at which was a lot more than I was expecting.
Erin C

October 28, 2007
Pretty bad...I was disappointed :(
nickymo89
nickymo89

February 22, 2008
Truly terrible and boring. Not funny at all. Waste of time.