The Comedians Reviews

½ April 29, 2013
The powerful study of a small group of people caught up in "Papa Doc's" reign of fear--Burton and Guinness Head the Intrigue in Graham Greene's Haiti!!
½ February 17, 2013
Strangely inert adaptation of Graham Greene's novel about white Westerners being menaced by Papa Doc Duvalier's Ton Tons Macoute. Burton, Guinness, Ustinov and a young James Earl Jones are all in top form, but Taylor is awful and Peter Glenville's direction is flabby and dull. A missed opportunity.
August 15, 2012
Fascinating but endlessly talky tale about a group of privileged classed people in Haiti in the mid-60s who slowly begin to realize that the power to defeat Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier lies in the hands of the people. A pretty good 148 minute film that would've made a knockout of a 90 minute film. Excellent cast.
March 21, 2012
foreign intrigue surrounds the residents of a hotel in haiti.
November 7, 2011
As much as I love Elizabeth Taylor, this movie was almost unbearable to watch. Three long and kind of painful hours about some events on Haiti with only couple scenes with Taylor that I really enjoyed. Apart from that the story isn't interesting. Not because it's a political story but because it's shown in tiresome manner. Villains in black glasses were annoying but I have to admit they fited to the role perfectly. The ending was slightly better. Moreover, I don't think it was a good idea for Graham Greene to write the script as well - based on his own book.
August 7, 2011
Much better the second time around. A film with a lot of depth that you have to see more than once. It has some problems but it's a very good film.
½ April 14, 2011
A great insight into the world of Haiti. One can understand from seeing this film the repression and dictatorial political control that makes it the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. The movie is a bit plodding, but has great supporting actors. Don't be thrown off by the name, it is anything but a comedy. You can always trust Graham Greene to show sides of our modern world we in the insulated U.S. don't see on our TV screens.
½ March 28, 2011
The setting is interesting, the characters, not so much.
February 20, 2008
nominated for best picture by NBR
jjnxn
July 7, 2008
A bit confused and could have been cut into a tighter whole but an interesting document of a time and place that hasn't gotten a lot of treatment certainly not with a cast of this caliber. Leads are fine but the supporting cast of Guinness, Gish, Ford and Ustinov wrap it up.
July 5, 2007
really not interested
May 28, 2007
I loved Richard Burton
February 20, 2007
Interesting portral of human behavior...

The title does mislead you a tad...