Blade Runner as Scott Intended on DVD

Warner Bros to release Blade Runner: The Final Cut DVD

This winter, Warner bros is set to release a DVD box set of this box office Prometheus that rivals all other special editions and will keep the fans drooling until it's on shelves this December 18th. Presenting the film in HD formats, the DVD collection will come in a briefcase with, a three-hour documentary and (count them) five different versions of the film, including Ridley Scott's dark "work print."

The ultimate version of Blade Runner was screened for the first time by Christopher Nolan at UCLA in 2003, and now is set to see a brief theatrical re-release in select cities including New York and Los Angeles and will also play at the Venice Film Festival.

Scott risked a lot for Blade Runner. His noir adaptation of Phillip K. Dick's dystopian sci-fi novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, was an shadowy and overcast view of the future. As a result, test audiences either didn't like it or (more commonly) didn't get it. When a completion bond prohibited Ridley Scott from the editing bay, the studio decided to clarify the film with a voice over and lighten it up with a tacked on romantic conclusion.

In 1991, a repertory screening hosted the film and Warner accidentally sent Scott's "work print" to the event. The film became a word of mouth smash almost overnight and the studio invited Scott back to re-edit his "work print" for re-release. Scott was too busy finishing Thelma and Louise and beginning 1492, so he asked preservationist Michael Arick to work with him on an edit that would reinstall the unicorn dream, omit Ford's deliberately poor voice over, and hack off the studio's happy ending. Though this cut didn't bear Scott's seal, it was packaged in VHS as the "director's cut."

In 2000, talks began for a definitive cut of Blade Runner. For the cut to finally please the director (and countless fans), they're including the unicorn dream, re-shooting the Snake Shop scene, and adding elements culled by the final cut's producer Charles de Lauzirika from 977 different prints.

Source: Variety

Comments

Dread

Gray Thomas

YES! YES! Such good news. That box set looks unbelievable.

Jul 26 - 06:51 PM

Scarborough Fair

Kyle Beaudette

I hope they get rid of that scene where Harrison Ford says that one of the ladyrobots is 'hardening his software'. The joke may have been cutting edge or funny in the 80's, but we've heard this joke over and over again ad nauseam ever since. It's only going to garner groans from the today's cyber-youth and inter-teens. If we're going to get them turned onto this (masterpiece) film, why not edit in new jokes? Harrison could say "Boy I'd like to google her bluray" or even "I'd inject my penis into her the same way a needle is injected into a developing embryo, to suckle the precious stem-cells"

Jul 26 - 07:18 PM

the train

Vinnie Oliveri

either that's a joke or you're an idiot.

Jul 27 - 11:14 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

I'm not sure I'm up for a marathon of five versions of the same flick, but I'm definitely making this my first BluRay. I just hope it's not limited edition, cuz it all looks expensive.

Jul 26 - 07:26 PM

speedy13

First Last

That set does look expensive. It will be interesting to see all the versions. I actually didn't mind the voice over. I wonder if that will be in one of the versions.

Jul 26 - 08:20 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I too appreciated the voiceover and it's really hard to find a version that includes it. Hopefully it'll finally be part of this edition.

Jul 27 - 01:46 AM

blastik

matt fulkerson

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!
Damn, I am salivating at the thought of this. The fact I have to wait another five months for this is painful, but at least there is a release date. Can't wait to see the updated version in the theater!

Jul 26 - 10:09 PM

BuckyUnderbelly

Robb Badlam

So ... the set won't include the standard DVD format? Only HD? Man, I love me some Blade Runner and some Ridley Scott and some Harrison Ford ... but I don't have the cash for this set AND a next-gen DVD player!

Jul 26 - 11:36 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jul 27 - 01:46 AM

EvanMcPogue

Evan Wahlin

Well info from an amazon.com user review:

USA Today reported that this edition will available on December 18, 2007.

Details:Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector's Edition, $79, five standard DVDs. (Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD versions planned; no price yet.)

seems to me that its coming out in all three formats.

additionally it is priced at 79 on amazon but its been knocked down to 55. but bloody hell, 79 bucks would be so so well worth it for this amazing film to get the proper treatment.

Jul 27 - 04:40 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Holy Hell, you bring that to an airport and they'd think you were a terrorist. ...Must... Own.....

Jul 27 - 07:41 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Jul 27 - 07:42 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I have to be honest: this movie bored me to death. And no, it's not because I didn't understand it. It's because it was, to me, boring. I might check out the 'definitive' version when it becomes available, but won't hold my breath over it.

Jul 27 - 08:23 AM

H Tht Hs N Vwls

Robin Smith

Still one of my favorite movies and in my book this is a must have collection.

Jul 27 - 08:48 AM

LJPlayer69

Jose Manuel

Drooling....yes....

Jul 27 - 09:57 AM

Rash Hunt

Rash Hunt

A unicorn figurine?!?!?!

Hot damn.

Jul 27 - 10:04 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

Let's hope he gets rid of the visible wires on the flying autos and corrects the scene in which Harrison Ford's voice is out of synch (he speaks but his mouth aint movin')

Jul 27 - 10:48 AM

the train

Vinnie Oliveri

either that's a joke or you're an idiot.

Jul 27 - 11:14 AM

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

I'm REALLY excited about this, but I too hope it will get a Standard DVD release. I'm not yet ready to shell out for HD when there are still two different HD formats duking it out for consumer market superiority. I prefer to wait for the smoke to clear (not to mention the price to drop).

Jul 27 - 11:57 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

As long as you buy Bluray, you'll be fine. :)

Jul 27 - 12:02 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

As long as you buy Bluray, you'll be fine. :)

Jul 27 - 12:02 PM

Baccus83

First Last

Just leave the movie alone already. We already have the original version AND the director's cut. Stop trying to milk us of all our cash!

It seriously gets to a point where all you're paying for is just a bunch of fancy packaging.

Jul 27 - 12:33 PM

moviegoof

movie goof

Mmmmm....... December 18th.....

Jul 27 - 01:58 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office