Surprise Iron Man Footage Knocks Comic-Con's Socks Off

Summary

Director Jon Favreau wasn't supposed to present much on the upcoming comic book flick Iron Man until Saturday, but Thursday's crowd got a treat when he unveiled an entire segment of footage early, in true Comic-Con style. Back to Article

Comments

Kollikodon

Ryan Ohlemeier

hmm... Iron man just went up a few (hundred) notches in my book...

Jul 27 - 05:58 AM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

pretty much...

Jul 27 - 06:30 AM

sox1919

Ryan Kolar

"Is it better to be feared, or respected?"

Now THAT's tone. Raimi, take note.

Jul 27 - 06:50 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

sounds kickass, looks like Favreau is actually gonna pull this off. hope whatever Warner Bros. is planning for The Dark Knight can top or at least match that.

Jul 27 - 07:09 AM

h-town24

frank ford

Sam Raimi, directed the best comic book movie ever, SM2! Embrass yourself like that sox1919! Sam Raimi can learn nothing, nothing from Jon Favreau! Favreau should take notes from the Spider-Man franchise and worry about Iron Man (the movies, obviously they won't come anywhere near money wise} being half as good as Spider-Man franchise!

Jul 27 - 07:11 AM

BarbarianMonster

Michael Schaefer

Actually, Batman Begins, 300, A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, Sin City, Ghost World, American Splendor, Lone Wolf Cub, hell I enjoyed Constantine, Tank Girl, and Ghost Rider as much as SM2. Many of those mentioned had better casting, better action (where action is involved), more faithful adaptations, better writing, etc, etc, etc... Toby Maguire stinks as Peter Parker and Kirsten Dunst as frumpy Mary Jane Parker is overrated. I dunno man... At this point, I'd rather see a bad Iron Man movie than another mediocre Spider-Man. If it wasn't for Alfred Molina in SM2 that movie would have been below average as well. Why are the villains in SM2 always the highlight of the movies?

Jul 27 - 07:53 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

hahaha, Tank Girl. Constantine? haha. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but your point would have been taken better had you not tried to up the hyperbole with a few of those movies. Hopefully this thread won't descend into another "Spiderman 3 sucks/No it doesn't" thread. I am very much looking forward to Iron Man. Looks to be shaping up nicely.

Jul 27 - 08:32 AM

rikpepe

Richard Pepe

Jeesh, why are you whining? Was your precious "SM" violated? If they stay away from silly scripts like the Mandarin IM will be better off in the long run and much more credibility.
Ou yes can you say SM#3 w/o smirking?

Aug 9 - 10:59 PM

The Great One

A Z

Look I liked Raimi before he made Spiderman 3.. but that movie was just a corny little kiddy version of what it could have been..yes he delivered on Spiderman 2, a great superhero movie, but Ill take Batman Begins any day

Jul 27 - 07:45 AM

JpPrewitt789

joe fish

Awesome.

Jul 27 - 08:46 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i'm diggin' this movie more and more...the more i hear about it. but the storyline sounds too similar to Begins-- rich guy experiences turmoil, then becomes hero by mooching off the weapons from his father's company? maybe its cuz i see Downey in that tux and it reminds me alot of the Bale-Bruce Wayne scenes in the mansion. i know the storyline isn't exactly the same but...the jist sounds familiar, thats all. as long as they keep it REAL and don't do the corny stuff with bad dialogue, i'm all for it.

Jul 27 - 09:11 AM

MattBaerFTW

Matt Baer

Dude if on Favreau took ntoes from the spiderman franchise then Robert Downey Jr. would be dressed in black and crying and his hair pushed to the front with a little eye then later apologizing to the bad guy. i hope he doesnt take any pages from Raimi's book even spider-man 3 a side i want something a little more mature.

Jul 27 - 09:28 AM

MattBaerFTW

Matt Baer

Dude if on Favreau took notes from the spider man franchise then Robert Downey Jr. would be dressed in black and crying and his hair pushed to the front with a little eye then later apologizing to the bad guy. i hope he doesn't take any pages from Raimi's book even spider-man 3 a side i want something a little more mature.

Jul 27 - 09:31 AM

Artanis3

Edward Nie

This movie sounds pretty cool...

Jul 27 - 11:17 AM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

Jul 27 - 11:24 AM

michael3205

Jarvis Waters

"Spiderman is weak sauce, compared to Batman Begins. If Favreau can do anything half as good as Nolan did, then this film will be awesome. It looks promising so far. I can't wait to see the results."

As much as I like Favreau & as enthusiastic as I am about Iron Man...there is NO WAY in the sunny side up of Hell that Fav can touch on half of what Nolan can, did, & will with Batman.

I hate to sound so snippish...but Nolan's got his schtick down to a tee. I want Iron man to be stellar, great, or even good...but I am a slight bit nervous about the payoff. If Rob Downey Jr can deliver (& we all know that he can) convincingly enough...this movie should be a hit but I believe that it might have issues being a blockbuster unless they pull some serious marketing & adverts.

Still excited...but I aint gettin me hopes up.

Aug 5 - 06:19 AM

Starseeder

Martin Bois

Iron Man will own 2008 !

Jul 27 - 11:44 AM

Baccus83

First Last

We give all the credit for how good Spider-Man 2 is to Raimi, but let's not forget that that film owes a huge debt to Michael Chabon, who helped pen the screenplay. Maybe if he had been involved with SM3, it wouldn't have been so overstuffed and unfocused.

As for Iron-Man, I've always been excited about the prospect of Jon Favreau doing a comic-book adaptation. This just kicks up the anticipation even more!

Jul 27 - 12:24 PM

Galactica

Greg Carr

Iron Man/Tony Stark's origin dates back to the 1960's, whereas Batman Begins is only a couple of years old. The "Waynetech already had all the cool gadgets" angle you are referring to is new with Begins, and was never part of Batman canon before. Previous Batman origin tales had Bruce inventing the gadgets himself in the Batcave as he needed them. So if Iron Man seems derivitative of Begins, actually the reverse is true.

Jul 27 - 12:25 PM

Metatron

Troy Tyler

One hopes that the Iron Man movie goes with the idea that Tony Stark is a brilliant inventor in his own right, not someone "borrowing" company technology like Bruce Wayne in "Batman Begins". While I certainly like "Batman Begins", I didn't care for the fact that Wayne lacks the technical skills of Batman from the comics.

Jul 27 - 01:37 PM

Goosemagnetic

Mike Gainer

You bet your balls this looks good! Anyone have a youtube link to the footage of this????

Jul 27 - 12:26 PM

Baccus83

First Last

And also, lest I forget...

Black Sabbath? Really? That was too easy.

Jul 27 - 12:29 PM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

I doubt it was as easy as you think. It's obvious, sure, but it's also the sort of thing that's so awesome that Hollywood would completely turn its nose at it. I'm glad they went for it.

Jul 27 - 12:38 PM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

Jul 27 - 12:38 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer