Plans for a "Darker" Teen Titans Movie

Screenwriter lays out some interesting plans...

Screenwriter Mark Verheiden spent some time at the Comic Con talking about his upcoming projects, and he shared a few ideas for his upcoming Teen Titans movie.

IGN Movies got the scoop from the Battlestar Galactica co-creator, and apparently he's hoping to make the Teen Titans a bit darker. Kinda like what we saw (and loved) in Batman Begins. Here's what he told IGN: "It's not light and frothy ... It's not silly. I want to play the characters so they feel real to us, not like people we can't understand. And I think Nightwing is a great character for that."

Nightwing is the grown-up version of Dick Grayson (aka Robin), for those (like me) who know nothing about the Teen Titans. Mr. Verheiden certainly does seem raring to go on this project.

Source: IGN Movies

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sounds like he's going to completely ignore the cartoon series and kinda go with his own thing. I'm not a huge fan of TT's, but Nightwing and Arsenal and those guys were never those characters while they were with the TT's were they? I thought that came many years later when they weren't really teenagers anymore.

Jul 27 - 10:38 AM

CannibalPenguins

Jaja Jaja

I smell [b]Fail[/b].

Jul 27 - 10:51 AM

sickofitall

b x

i smell troll

Jul 27 - 02:53 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Man, I want TEEN Titans, not VERHEIDEN's Titans! This sucks! There was no reason for why they pulled the cartoon off TV, and there will be no reason behind letting Verheiden have his own way with what is already a well-established, proven-that-it-works storyline.

Dammit I hate it when studios do this...

Jul 27 - 11:07 AM

evanset6

Jason Bolinger

Ugh I don't know what you people's problem is... the cartoon was dumb as hell and campy... it'll be nice for someone to take the material seriously finally.

Jul 27 - 11:12 AM

wallstreet_jony

Jonathan Estrada

Actually, it seems like the appropriate treament. Who the hell wants to see a 4 foot robin and a purple/green goblin looking kid fight crime? It sounds like Sputnik99 does. Thats who!

Seriously, who wants a kids movie? If you do, then transcreating the cartoon onto film is probably your kind of thing. It will look just like FF but oh yeah, even moe ridiculous.

A film version needs to have a "film" treatment, its already on cartoons.

Jul 27 - 11:17 AM

Chim

Robby Robertson

"there will be no reason behind letting Verheiden have his own way with what is already a well-established, proven-that-it-works storyline.

Dammit I hate it when studios do this..."

That's the problem with studios. Always giving directorial freedom. ****ing studios.

Jul 27 - 11:23 AM

TeaWhyEllieAre

Tyler Crea

You, sir, are all too true.

Jul 27 - 11:40 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Awesome. NOW I can't wait for a Teen Titans movie where the titans bust an underground hooker ring while spouting off ****ty one-liners.

Jul 27 - 11:34 AM

TeaWhyEllieAre

Tyler Crea

You, sir, are all too true.

Jul 27 - 11:40 AM

DeathByRabbit

Paige Matthews

All comic book movies take liberties, even the successful ones. I'd say wait and see what he has in mind before you make any conclusions.

Jul 27 - 11:52 AM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Great, so replies still list comment numbers, but the original comments don't? How the hell are we supposed to tell who is replying to whom?

Also, how seriously are we really supposed to take a bunch of costumed teens fighting super-villains? It's Teen Titans, not Crime and Punishment.

Jul 27 - 11:56 AM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

completely agree with Brad 3000, i truly am lost with this stupid new format. why the

hell did they change it, we really can't figure who's who now?! Jeez r.t. really let

everydown big time. thank you for being one of the great ones and pointing this out.

everyone should start complaining to the big tomatoe about this immediately.

And, this movie sounds awesome and like i said before, starfire better be smokin hot,

cyborg cool, and dick grayson as a great heroic example why this team was as in demand

as the x-men were in the 1980's comic book scene or this movie wil fail, unfortunately.

Jul 28 - 12:13 AM

clotho

Emma Palemma

For god's sake, it's at COMICON. Of course they're talking about the actual Teen Titans, which WAS dark, not your popped up anime-derivative dribble. (Which, okay, I actually liked.) But for the love of god, there have been hundreds of kid's series based on comics; but nobody gerned when superman got serious- and look at batman! I mean, for crying out loud that's where the concept of Robin originated, and you really don't get much darker than some of those comics. I for one welcome the change. I mean, alright, they'll have to seriously de-camp some of the characters, otherwise it'll be a total joke, but this really has got potential.

Jul 27 - 11:57 AM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

right on! this comic bok rocked like no other in the eighties and it still does pretty well today! the titans have an incredible comic book lore that should provide dare we say it... the next successful SUPERHERO TEAM franchise because x-men is dead now,quality and integrity, thanks to RAT-ner. and JLA and Avengers still seem a long time away from hitting the big screen.

Jul 28 - 12:18 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

*yawn* ....... *thud*

Jul 27 - 01:41 PM

Paul_Is_Drunk

Paul Andersen

So, some of you people realize that the anime derived cartoon was a re-imagining of the source material, right? Just like this movie will be?

If you're a fan of the cartoon, demand more of the cartoon.

But... yeah... this will probably suck. Sounds like this joker has no idea about the core ideals of the comic (which the cartoon did have), and just wants to make a comic book movie since they're so en vogue. *cue Madonna*

Jul 27 - 01:52 PM

sickofitall

b x

i smell troll

Jul 27 - 02:53 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

"Holy poop splatting the fan, Batman!" I've never been crapped on so many times. (Dang, I wish I knew what # my comment was...)

Look, change can be good. I'm hip to that. But when it's done by someone who has no knowledge of the material, THAT'S when I get worked up. It's just like what's happening to he G.I. Joe movie (a subject that I am a passionate fan of) and now it is happening to Teen Titans.

They wouldn't even be making this movie if it wasn't for the sake of the "4 foot robin and purple/green goblin" being so dam popular, so I think there is something to be said about sticking to the cartoon series' formula.

If they want to take a different look at Teen Titans, fine. But I would only make ADDITIONS to the stories, like they did to the Superman and Batman movies. (crystals, Bruce the ninja). But think about if they were to change the basic Batman or Superman stories even one microbe. There would be a lot of super-pissed-off people in this world. I think Nightwing as a Teen Titan is too big of a change.

Jul 27 - 03:30 PM

Armless Penguin

Charles Hollingsworth

Sputnik99, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Try reading THE JUDAS CONTRACT, from NEW TEEN TITANS VOL. 1. You know what happens in that story? Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing. Then head on over to NEW TEEN TITANS VOL. 2, where he's Nightwing from the first issue. Then maybe check out THE TITANS, where, again, he's Nightwing.

Also, Bruce as a "ninja" has been highly ingrained in the canon of BATMAN. Hell, he was trained by people like Kirigi, a master of Ninjutsu, and David Caine, a professional assassin, and even has a (supposed) kid with Talia al Ghul.

Jul 27 - 10:08 PM

Huntressmoon13

M. K.

*Snap Snap Head Swivel* Armless Penquin :)

I enjoyed the anime and even the lighter nature of the Teen Titans, but as I've read more into comic and the history of the characters I too would like some of the darkness to return (backstories of Starfire or Raven, anyone?)

Hopefully, they won't make it out to be some X-Men-meets-Dawson's-Creek crap. We'll see...

Jul 28 - 05:25 PM

iakobos

J Taylor

Here's my $.02. I never was in to Teen Titans much but as I recall the original comic was more serious than the one everyone is familiar with now. Originally, it was not anime but drawn just like the other DC comics. I don't know anything about the modern incarnation of TT but the original took itself very seriously. So, if that is what Verheiden is going back to then count me in.

Jul 27 - 05:22 PM

ComicCONartist

Brian Jarchow

is this new movie going to be animated or is it going to be a live action?

Jul 27 - 08:26 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

i'm pretty sure its live action and that's the way it should be. hey, if they can make four guys in turtle suits into a great movie in the original tmmnt then they should with anything worthwhile let alone the titans where the question should not even be asked frankly. this will rock, folks. sign me up as a believer!

Jul 28 - 12:24 AM

wallstreet_jony

Jonathan Estrada

Sputnik99 you should sign up for the petition going around begging for a SPY KIDS 4.

the green/purple golblin and 4 foot robin running around with capes and Hoodies = Spy Kids part 4.

Nightwing in Teen Titans is perfect.

The cartoon is inferior to the original comic drawn teen titans. Darker and more human.

If you get your way though, Antonio Banderas is apparently looking for work.

Jul 27 - 08:38 PM

Armless Penguin

Charles Hollingsworth

Jul 27 - 10:08 PM

Huntressmoon13

M. K.

*Snap Snap Head Swivel* Armless Penquin :)

Jul 28 - 05:25 PM

Mavent

Juan Valdez

Personally, I think the world would be a better place (and movies, at least, would be better) if Directors stopped worrying about being "dark" and "edgy" and instead just focused on making decent movies.

Jul 27 - 11:40 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel