Comic-Con Day 3: Iron Man's Whiplash, War Machine Bring Down the House

Plus, a clip from 2012 provides an eye-searing vision of world destruction.

Iron Man 2

Finally, Favreau walked into Hall H. And he topped the 2012 clip, big time.

After leading the Hall in a round of "Happy Birthday" to his son, Max, Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. cut right to the chase -- showing the thousands of fans in attendance about five minutes of footage from Iron Man 2.

Tony Stark lounges in his Iron Man suit, sitting in the giant donut at LA landmark Randy's Donuts (where Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans got stuck in Earth Girls Are Easy). Below him, we see Nick Fury from behind. He wants a word with Stark.

They have coffee talk inside Randy's, where Stark says, "I don't want to join your superhero boy band" -- by which he means the Avengers, the superhero team that will indeed get its own movie in a few years.

Later, Stark is questioned in a public Senate inquiry into his "Iron Man weapon," which he revealed to be his at the end of the first Iron Man. His secret's out now, and while he hams it up to the press ("You're welcome. I just privatized world peace!") Senator Stern (Garry Shandling) is most definitely not amused ("F*** you, Mr. Stark!"). When Stark refuses to hand over the Iron Man technology to the government, Stern calls in a familiar (and at the same time, unfamiliar) face: Colonel James Rhodes, now played by Don Cheadle. Favreau addresses the infamous re-casting with subtlety.

"It's me, I'm here. Deal with it. Move on," Rhodey tells Stark, in effect telling us all to quit asking about how or why Cheadle replaced Iron Man actor Terrence Howard in the role.

Next, we see a montage of Russian thug Ivan Venko (Mickey Rourke) working in a dank room papered with articles about Tony Stark and his peace-keeping crusade. Venko slaves away, soldering metal parts and welding iron; simultaneously, Stark works in his high-tech laboratory. On the speedway set, amid fresh destruction and fleeing onlookers, Stark (outside of the Mark 2 in a blue Stark Industries body suit) lays on the ground, disoriented and bloody. Venko approaches him, long haired and grimy with a cig hanging from his mouth; he's in full Whiplash mode, twirling supercharged cables in both hands. The audience gasps in delight from seeing the previously released Whiplash image fleshed out on film.

Lastly, we were given a warehouse scene, where government officials led by Col. Rhodes are meeting with weapons dealer Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell, in classic smarmy Rockwell mode). Rhodes buys everything Hammer's got. We cut to a full look at Rhodey's own Iron Man-style suit, War Machine, with automatic guns blazing in both arms and a third weapon blasting from the back of his suit!

The lights go up, and the entirety of Hall H leaps to its feet.

But while most of the Con-goers lucky enough to see it walked away raving, the Iron Man 2 footage didn't quite seem to repeat the sheer, explosive reaction of 2007's Iron Man panel -- at which Favreau debuted the first look at Iron Man, soaring above the clouds, and started a wave of buzz that Paramount rode out to the following year.

A similar thing happened at Thursday's presentation for The Twilight Saga: New Moon, where Summit unveiled two smartly-chosen scenes: one featuring Taylor Lautner, another featuring Robert Pattinson, both featuring each actor shirtless. Though Twilighters did line up hours early (some a full day ahead of the panel), the reaction to New Moon was practically subdued compared to the one that packed Hall H with -- gasp! -- women and announced to the world that Twilight was to be taken seriously.

Still, Iron Man earned the biggest standing ovation yet this year, and May 2010 can't come fast enough.

Get our latest Comic-Con 2009 updates here:

Comic-Con Day 1 News Ticker

Comic-Con Day 1 Wrap-up

Comic-Con Day 2 News Ticker

Comic-Con Day 2 Wrap-up

Comic-Con Day 3 News Ticker

Comic-Con Celebrity Gallery

Comic-Con Costume Gallery

Comments

Premo Beat

John Noto

2012 sounds... fun. Cusack should be good.

Cheadle > T-How. But Rourke (way better villain than the Dude) and Rockwell TOO?! Barring an excess of Scarlett "acting", this is going to be epic.

All that aside, I am eagerly anticipating Avatar Day!

Jul 25 - 09:29 PM

Azrael 725

Landon O'Hara

War Machine kicks ***, I can't wait!!

Jul 25 - 11:20 PM

rockclmbr6

Sean Doherty

That description of 2012 was priceless. I laughed the whole time. I probably will during the movie too...which I'll probably end up seeing, even though it will probably (definitely) be popcorn trash. The eye candy will probably be worth it and I can at least make fun of it and have a good time.

Jul 25 - 11:58 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Rockclmbr6 Tell me about it. I can't believe all of what I wrote in that description happened within only like 5 minutes. Holy crap. Can you imagine a whole movie???

Jul 26 - 03:19 AM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Haha, Jen, you're amazing. :)

2012 might just be Emmerich's best worst-movie...movie. At least, in terms of sheer awesomeness-hilarity.

Jul 26 - 01:17 PM

Ryan M

Ryan Marshall

Zombieland is going to rock! 2012 looks like basically another The Day After Tomorrow, so I'm skeptical.

Jul 26 - 06:55 AM

visio

Paulo Santos

the day after tomorrow wasnt bad, I love this kind of movies. and Cusack is a must see.

Jul 26 - 09:21 AM

Jake007

Jake Sundstrom

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, I strongly disliked The Day After Tomorrow, and if this is anything like it... I'll probably be skipping it.

Zombieland looks like a lot of fun and I could go on and on about how excited I am for Iron Man 2. I must see this footage!

Jul 26 - 09:32 AM

manwhatisthatthing

Hurjay Medilo

I detect the notes of sarcasm sprinkled throughout your 2012 recap. One can only lol. Iron Man 2 is going to be big.

Jul 26 - 08:51 AM

visio

Paulo Santos

Jul 26 - 09:21 AM

Jake007

Jake Sundstrom

Jul 26 - 09:32 AM

Jake007

Jake Sundstrom

Jul 26 - 09:32 AM

BrugesBalls

Gavin Barker

im hoping zombieland will be a huge planet sized barrel of laughs, iron man 2 is all but guarenteed to be as much fun if not more so than the first and then we have 2012, which judging by the description, is gonna be yet another "cool idea, shockingly badly executed" film by Emmerich. no problems with the premise, but a limo outrunning a freakin EARTHQUAKE?? day after tomorrow. imdependance day, universal soldier, godzilla, 10,000 bc all prove this guy is like michael bay only with a habit of making explosions really really boring

at least michael bay makes megan fox run in slomo...

Jul 26 - 09:34 AM

Premo Beat

John Noto

I loved ID4. Day After Tomorrow was not great but I enjoyed it to some extent, haven't seen Godzilla since I was a kid but I enjoyed it then. The rest of his movies may have been horrible but unlike Bay, Emmerich isn't in-your-face with the juvenile nature of his films. Cusack will likely not be the butt of any fart jokes, I doubt he'll have a 15 minute gag with him on ecstasy, and I don't think he'll be humping anyone's leg. Hoping Roland can recapture some of the ID4 magic, but I also think the cast of ID4 was far superior to that of his other films.

The description of the scene from 2012 feels to me like some souped-up amusement park ride, and if the reviews aren't godawful (i.e. 22% t-formers style) I will go see it.

Jul 26 - 09:51 AM

BrugesBalls

Gavin Barker

your 100% right with the leg humping, and i doubt 2012 will have anyone saying "im gonna pop a cap in yo ***", but when you're demolishing an entire city (or in this case the entire planet pretty much) and only the main characters somehow have the ability to outrun it (in a limo), there needs to be some feeling that this isnt being taken too seriously, or else (at least for me) its all just feels very preachy and idiotic. i always felt that independance day was waaaay to full of its own self importance bar will smith, whos performance had its tongue firmly in its cheek. the film didnt (bill paxman anyone?). at least with transformers, Bay knew he was making a film about robots hitting other robots (ignore the people, they go way past taking the piss) and just made it as much fun as humanly possible.

still ur entitled to hate on transformers and bay, the less said about pearl harbour the better *shudder*

Jul 26 - 10:40 AM

Matanuki .

Oh, so Bay was going for fun? Wasn't aware. Means his failure is even bigger than I initially thought.

Jul 26 - 07:35 PM

Matanuki .

Fu.ck Michael Bay and the attitude of his apologists! Not "fu.ck them", mind you. I'm sure some of them are great people. Hell, a few of my friends are even Michael Bay apologists. I love em to death, but I don't talk to them about movies.

Jul 26 - 07:38 PM

BrugesBalls

Gavin Barker

to be fair i did say Bay was just like Emmerich, but with a better grasp of how to blow **** up. and matanuki, whats all this about "michael bay apologists?" if you didnt like transformers 2 fair enough, but to say people that did have no intelligent opinions on films? thats dumb...michael bay dumb...if you liked the old transformers cartoon, or ever played with action figures then the new film (minus the human whining) was pretty close to capturing everything a kid hoped his toys could do if they were real.

and so far no-one has compared favreau to either of the other 2 'splosion lovers. he's in a different league altogether, proven by the fact that iron man was fun even when there wasnt stuff going boom.

i think we can all agree on 2 things: iron man 2 is gonna be pretty much awesome, and zombieland will own considerable amounts of face. woody harrelson.killing zombies.in a theme park. genius

Jul 27 - 04:10 AM

Matanuki .

You've gotta excuse my mood on this topic, Bruges. And by the way, not sure how much you've been with us on this but Tombstone very eloquently put to rest the whole "It's based on a toyline" excuse in another thread. I'd look it up. It's worth a read.

I'm not saying that people that liked this film are dumb. There's some stupid sh.it that I like too.

But yes, we can agree on the things you mentioned. And this one post, by the way, is much more than I'm giving even my closests friends. The ones that have given Transformers 2 a big thumbs up (luckily there aren't many of them), I just smile respectfully and change the topic. I simply cannot in good conscience listen to an argument favoring a film with absolutely no redeeming qualities. And no offense, but what you just did is exactly what an apologist does; offer up an excuse for why the movie shouldn't be judged harshly. Either it's a good movie, or it isn't. Subject matter is irrelevent.

It's fine for the general public to assume otherwise, but the goddamn filmmaker is supposed to know better!

This is why I am pointing ALLLLLL of my hate and contempt in the direction where it's due.

Jul 27 - 05:49 AM

BrugesBalls

Gavin Barker

Jul 26 - 10:40 AM

Jul 26 - 07:35 PM

Jul 26 - 07:38 PM

BrugesBalls

Gavin Barker

Jul 27 - 04:10 AM

Jul 27 - 05:49 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Ever since i saw the trailer for 2012 (the one where the temple gets submerged in a colossal wave like in the picture) I knew it was something i was going to check out in theaters, so the possible unintended hilarity doesn't bother me too much.

In terms if Iron Man 2, i really hope it blows IM out of the water, because that would prove that the cast and crew didn't just get lucky, and that a movie made with a lot of heart & brains really deserves to be made into a more compelling sequel.

However, i am going to have to wait to see Black Widow in action before i decide whether or not her inclusion will help or hurt the movie's chances. She has some fight scenes, which in a movie about multiple mechanical suits battling seems a little out of place. Still, as long as they don't try to make her into another Wire-Fu/Trinity character and actually choreograph her scenes well, it should be fun to watch.

One thing we can all agree: May 2010 really can't come fast enough!

Jul 26 - 10:49 AM

Allmano

Zachary Allman

I agree, The Day After Tomarrow was ridiculous...I love the scene where global warming is chasing our characters down a hallway...but its cool, the door stopped that mean ol' global warming!

And if the new ice age wasnt enough, lets bring in some hungry wolves!!! LOL....Fail..

Jul 26 - 11:10 AM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Haha, Jen, you're amazing. :)

Jul 26 - 01:17 PM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Now this Iron Man 2 footage is something i'd like to see.

Jul 26 - 02:03 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

iron man 2 all de way! i just hope that its not going to be a dissapointment cuz its hard for movies to be awesome forever usualyy movies drop by the 2nd or 3rd i hope this one doesnt and by the looks of it this movies is going to have a lot of villians. and i hAVE yet to hear about mandarin..i mean whiplash and war machine canot be his real villians theyre probably hiding him like they did with nick fury in the first one.

Jul 26 - 04:38 PM

Matanuki .

War Marchine is not a villain, chief.

Jul 26 - 07:46 PM

AniMill

Curtis Sponsler

"hungry wolves!!!" shudder... Yeah, 2012 is going to be stupid big and loud - just like Transformers 2. As for Iron Man - I fear it too will succumb to the "give the director anything he wants" syndrome of Transformers 2 (leg humping). What made the first movie so good was its heart. If the second one is all about super-bad-powerful-evil-chicks and men, it'll be utterly forgettable.

P.S. "G-Farce" beat all movies this weekend... so much for a discriminating movie-going public.

Jul 26 - 04:54 PM

Matanuki .

Ok. Enough of this. There is nothing wrong with giving a director what he wants so long as the director in question is a good one. Chris Nolan for example. Favreau too has proved himself with Iron Man. Transformers, on the other hand, DOES NOT represent the kind of achievement that Iron Man did. Not in any sense of the word. Transformers made money. End of story. Transformers 2, for many of us, was an opportunity for Bay to do something special with the franchise and bring it to new heights. Instead it was just more explosions, business as usual. It was less than the sum of the first film's parts.

Favreau has done nothing to deserve the insult of being compared to Michael Bay. So please, if you don't mind...

Jul 26 - 07:44 PM

Jul 26 - 07:35 PM

Jul 26 - 07:38 PM

BrugesBalls

Gavin Barker

Jul 27 - 04:10 AM

Jul 27 - 05:49 AM

Jul 26 - 07:44 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday