Top Ten New Moon Facts Revealed at Comic-Con

What we learned about the Twilight sequel from panels, press conferences, and more.

Having read the books, visited the set, and devoured everything the internet already contained regarding The Twilight Saga: New Moon, you'd think there'd be little left for a Twilight fan to learn. Thankfully, you'd be wrong. As we found while tracking New Moon's cast and director through last weekend's Comic-Con appearances, the New Moon publicity machine is chugging as smoothly as Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner's bare chests -- two things which made our list of the Top Ten New Moon Facts Revealed at Comic-Con. (Catch up on our Comic-Con coverage here.) Read on for this week's installment of New Moon Monday and check back each week for news, interviews, and more to keep your Twilight obsession blazing.

1. Summit Entertainment knows its audience, evidenced by the two scenes they brought to Comic-Con. Whether you're Team Edward or Team Jacob, there was a shirtless scene for you. Who wanted to see the birthday party scene or the cliff diving scene, when they could get their first peek at Jacob Black hopping valiantly off a bike to strip naked to tend to an almost-drooling Bella? Or watch as Bella raced across Volterra in vain as Edward opened his shirt, stepping into the sunlight? It was such an amazing sight, Bella started running in slow motion. (Click above for more celeb pics from Comic-Con; full scene descriptions here!)

2. Director Chris Weitz will use a lot of dialogue straight from the book. This was one of the biggest points of contention with the first Twilight, into which screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg had written quotes directly from Meyer's text -- with varying results. ("And so the lion fell in love with the lamb," to which non-fans groaned inwardly.) In both scenes shown at Comic-Con, the majority of dialogue was taken from the pages of New Moon and filmed quite closely to what we imagined. (Agree/disagree? Tell us below.)

3. Taylor Lautner is the press-friendly celebrity star that New Moon needed. Compared to his co-stars Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, Lautner has just the right youthful vigor and enthusiasm (read: he's not jaded yet) to turn Twilight press events into, well, downright energetic press events. Deposited between Stewart and Pattinson in Thursday's early morning press conference, Lautner picked up the slack whenever his co-stars trailed off; the kid's been well prepared. I mean, have you seen that Sharkboy-era dancing video?

4. Kristen Stewart knows that Bella is a head case in New Moon. Critics who thought Bella was unhealthily dependent on Edward in the first Twilight film, or even that his behavior was borderline stalker-ish, will likely seize on her obvious psychological issues in the sequel. When those criticisms come, Stewart's fully prepared. "This is a severely emotional movie," she told journalists. "That's the one big difference. This movie is not about discovery or falling in love, which is sort of just an intense emotion, but this is low and there high points for her, too. She's a manic depressive, basically."

5. A year later, Kristen Stewart's life is just as crazy and her answers just as wry as they were during Twilight. The build-up to the first Twilight film transformed its stars' lives into a constant media circus, with fans even stampeding a mall just to see Pattinson. Asked if life was any different with the sequel on the horizon, Lautner said now he was "really, really busy" and Pattinson noted that he walks down the street hoping not to be noticed. Stewart deadpanned that her only life change was the stylistic kind: "I cut my hair off."

6. The New Moon kids like it when their characters suffer. Asked which scene in New Moon was their favorite, each star picked one in which their characters broke up with each other. "I walk her up to her door and say goodbye to her and I'm going off to fight in the woods and she's worried," Lautner answered. "She's scared for me. I thought that it was kind of cute, but I also like the breakup scene."

"That's my favorite scene in the movie," Stewart said, her face lighting up. "We call it a breakup scene because he basically tells her that they can't be friends anymore and he's transforming. If you ever, ever treated me like that you would kill me."

And Pattinson's favorite scene? "I think my breakup scene was my favorite scene," he said. "I mean, hopefully it'll come off as having quite a few more levels than the relationship in Twilight. It was interesting. It was like a five page long dialogue scene. That didn't happen at all in the first one and it's quite an interesting little moment. It completely bypasses all the supernatural elements of the story as well, which I found quite interesting."

7. Kristen Stewart can't wait to have Rob Pattinson's baby! (Just kidding.) When asked what scene she's most looking forward to filming over the course of Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, Stewart let out a spoiler of sorts. "I can't wait to get pregnant!" Stewart joked, referring to her character's storyline. Pattinson's response: "I can't wait to perform the Cesarian." Taylor's most anticipated scene? The one where he gets to strip naked and cuddle with Bella in a sleeping bag, naturally.

8. If you post a New Moon reaction video to YouTube, Chris Weitz is probably watching it right now. During the panel discussion, Weitz revealed that he and the editing crew have watched many of your screaming, breathless fan reaction videos. He's even thinking of making a reaction video to the reaction videos!

9. Twilight fanaticism was as strong as ever this year. While nothing could top the ear-piercing and unexpected sounds of thousands of girls at the Twilight panel last year -- where fan boy culture's hold on the Con was hijacked by a vampire romance, of all things -- 2009 sure came close. And Twilighters were better prepared for the challenge of getting a coveted seat in Hall H for Thursday's panel; a few fans camped out a full two days ahead, and by Wednesday morning, Twihards were Twittering from the line.

10. The anti-Twilight backlash finally has a name! You know your favorite fantasy property has really made it when entire Comic-Con costumes are created just to complain about it (i.e. the mostly-male Con attendees sporting "Twilight Ruined Comic-Con" signs).

That's it for New Moon Monday! Check back every week for something new from RT's resident Twilight expert in Jen's Twilight Corner. (Have a suggested topic? Leave a comment below.)

Comments

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Hey RT, 100% of the posters here are straight males who are not only throughly uninterested in anything Twilight, but show outright hostility to this romance franchise thinly veiled as a vampire saga.

Jul 27 - 08:05 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Then now you know what sign to make when you go to Comic-Con next year!

Jul 27 - 08:06 PM

Nine Oh Two

Nine Oh Two .

Sometimes I swear I accidently went to the official Twilight web site instead of RT. I'm sure they get plenty of hits, but do we really need a new Twilight article everyday? I swear, if I didn't know any better, I would think RT has a designated staff to cover this movie, kinda like how newstations have their iraq news team or something.

Seriously though, I think we're running out of things to report on this movie, they should title the next article "Top 10 reasons your gonna be sick of this movie before it even comes out"

Jul 27 - 08:24 PM

nogard46

joe smith

Bloody you make so many false generalization its beyond absurd. where did you get 100%? Have you polled the people in RT? Even if you are correct, so RT should continue to only target 49% of the population? (Yes males make up 49%) and isn't Twilight just giving what the fangirls want, what they long for? You fanboys got your TDK fix why can't the females have something to call their own? Can you not allow them to have that 1 movie, 1 franchise?

I'm a straight male and I'm not a rabid fan of Twilight but I enjoy it and I have no issues liking it. And yes I know what your comment and response will be an immature attempt to question and knock down my sexuality just for the small miniscule reason I like a certain movie.

Sigh, and you want question and ask which sex is more mature and more intelligent?

Jul 27 - 08:44 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

How was New Moon one of the show's best?

I'm pretty sure shirtless men =/= quality, yet that's one of the sole reasons RT mustered up for putting New Moon next to Iron Man II as best of Comic-Con in their previous Comic-Con article.

Also, nogard46: WHY!?!?!?! How could you change your avatar from awesome Danny McBride holding a shotty and super hot Sarah Roemer to THIS? No offense, but I lol'd the second I read "I'm not a rabid fan of Twilight" and looked back to see your avatar.

Jul 27 - 09:17 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

Dammit.

RT you need an edit function for comments.

Jul 27 - 09:18 PM

Karina Q.

Karina Quintana

lol
u guys r silly

Jul 30 - 07:14 AM

Kelly O.

Kelly ODonnell

It's insane... the craziness that surrounds Twilight and it's Saga... however.. I find it fascinating that people can be that passionate about it all. These books have touched people in a strong way and we're not talking about one age group here.. it spans 7 to 70.. that's amazing. Can they put their finger on why they react the way they do to the books, no they can't... but then neither can they understand why fans of Star Wars, Star Trek, Iron Man, Transformers, or any others films, why they show up at these conventions dressed as their favorite characters.

A love, adoration, for anything isn't a bad thing.. and, just as many would dress up as their favorite Sci Fi character, so too would a Twilight fan do a little screaming when they see their favorite character brought to life.

I really don't see any difference in what they do and what the rest of you do.. other then perhaps one way or "worshiping" is a bit quieter than the other... but neither is wrong.

Those fans are there at Comic Con to see their story brought to life.. just like any other fan of any other movie there. Don't begrudge the fans their moment...

Sometimes I think people slam the Twilight Fan reaction simply because they have never felt such passion for ANYTHING... it's not that these fans are "Hopeless" They are full of hope.... their reaction is all the more reason to believe that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.. just just because you are threatened by or don't understand something isn't a reason to knock it.

Jul 28 - 12:17 PM

kayla d.

kayla dicki

you are so right. woman should have the right to go crazy over a book or show. whichever without men knocking it. I know other woman knock it to though.

Jul 29 - 12:43 PM

Cristy B.

Cristy Busto

nogard46 You tottally rock! I saw your comment on the top 10 new moon comic con article. thank you for sticking up for twilight fan girls and girls in general. i am a twi fan girl and it make me mad to hear guys say that twilight is stupid. every person on the planet has there own opinion on the subject of there likes and dis likes on books, movies, and ect. it was awesome that your a guy and can admit that twilight is not that bad. since i first read the books when they came out in 2004. i have had to argue with alot of guys over the suject of twilight. it's true what you said guys have alot of franchise and things. we girls don't have anything to really call are own at all when it comes to suff like this. so to sum it up your the coolest guy in the world. Thanks again.

Jul 31 - 11:23 PM

red_wine

ankit jhunjhunwala

I personally don't care about Twilight but this site is run by people, not robots. They have their own passions and their own movies which they anticipate. If you don't want to read an article, don't click on it. As long as they are getting hits, its perfectly justified.

Jul 27 - 08:50 PM

WalkingAfterFoo

Dana Vikander

I have to take offense to Bloody Mathias's comment. Firstly, I am a woman so obviously 100% of the people who post aren't men. Second, why can't people like comic books, sci-fi, movies, and all other acceptable forms of nerdiness, and not Twilight? Honestly I love the Twilight books, and I thought the movie okay. Honestly if it was a movie you were excited about, wouldn't you want a lot of information and updates? Seriously, if you hate Twilight so much, why take the time to comment on an article about it?

Jul 27 - 08:54 PM

kayla d.

kayla dicki

well said! I totally agree with you.

Jul 29 - 12:41 PM

shoutsma

Schuyler Houtsma

I won't knock anyone's sexuality down. I think that's pretty low. But I will knock people down a little for liking a movie that has such a rabid screeching-banshee fan base over not a lot, in many an opinion. And yes, Rotten Tomatoes and websites similar are posting way too many Twilight stories. I would be alright with them if they actually said something worthwhile, and if the 3-4 stories a day wouldn't push actual worthwhile stories out of the feed.

Jul 27 - 08:58 PM

Tara R.

Tara Raque

I'd much rather listen to screaming fangirls than read whiny little boys comments. If you don't like Twilight or articles ahout Twilight....here's a suggestion....DON'T READ THEM

Jul 28 - 08:29 PM

shoutsma

Schuyler Houtsma

This is actually the only Twilight article I commented on, ever. And listening to whiny little fan boys comments will be better for your hearing in the long run anyways. If you don't like what people's opinions... here's a suggestion... go cry about it.

Jul 28 - 09:11 PM

denise k.

denise k

so you'll "...knock people down a little for liking a movie that has such a rabid screeching-banshee fan base over not a lot..." but i bet ten years ago you were probably one of those dumdasses who slept on the street waiting for phantom menace to come out. ****ty movie with ****ty fans, like you.
these movies have themes that many girls can relate to, and don't involve drugs, booze, or sex. so what if there are a couple of femme's at your beloved convention. maybe now you can meet a human with breasts, who has a vagina too.

Jul 29 - 01:12 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Emmm Twilight actually has quite a bit of sex in Breaking Dawn, but it's not going to exactly encourage women to do it. Lets just say it's not a smooth pregnancy.

Jul 29 - 03:27 PM

Lee C.

Lee Corr

nicely put you show em.

Jul 29 - 08:08 PM

Lauren T.

Lauren Taylor

Shoutsma, if you don't like it, then don't read about it; simple as that. Also, why can't us girls get excited about something like this?? All you boys get excited about Iron Man and Star Wars and Transformers and what not, this is the one GIRLY "sci-fi" thing that is out there, let us have it and don't criticize us for getting excited about it.

Jul 29 - 04:37 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

How was New Moon one of the show's best?

Jul 27 - 09:12 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

How was New Moon one of the show's best?

Jul 27 - 09:17 PM

RE4P3R

Alejandro Marquez

Dammit.

RT you need an edit function for comments.

Jul 27 - 09:18 PM

Karina Q.

Karina Quintana

lol
u guys r silly

Jul 30 - 07:14 AM

WalkingAfterFoo

Dana Vikander

I think when they were making their list they were factoring in the amount, and quality of footage that was shown. Like how getting a look at War Machine and Whiplash was amazing for Iron Man fans, the scenes they showed from New Moon were great for fans of the book. With The amount of information and footage shown from Avatar, it deserves to be at the top of the list. I lked the way they determined the best and the worst, and honestly I agreed with the list, but I would have put Alice in Wonderland up there too.

Jul 27 - 09:21 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

Yay! More Twilight! I have to admit, Jen, you're actually making me want to watch Twilight on demand and then see this in theaters, if only to provide my own biting commentary on it (though not in the theater, I may hate Twilight, but I'm not going to talk through New Moon in the theater, even if it is as horrible as I'm sure it will be).

Jul 27 - 09:28 PM

Heather

Heather Gallay

Oh, wah wah wah. Cry me a river. So sorry that CC isn't just for the boys, these days. You geeks should be happy -- it's probably the closest you'll ever get to real life women, anyway.

Jul 27 - 09:40 PM

Heather

Heather Gallay

Why, thank you. ;)

Jul 28 - 02:19 PM

Heather

Heather Gallay

Here's the thing, GUYS. Stephenie Meyer is a terrible writer -- I admit that, as I consider myself a literary snob. But what she does well is tell a story that appeals to a side of us that still believes -- or wants to -- in true love, soulmates and romance. It's sappy, it's silly and it's certainly not intellectual ... but it's escapist fun, and there's no harm in that.

You boys are entitled to make informed, educated opinions -- but I take issue with the notion that Twilight ruined Comic Con simply by luring more women there. I know that, historically, geekdom was a male domain, but times are changing.

Jul 28 - 02:25 PM

shoutsma

Schuyler Houtsma

Comic Con is pretty sad to begin with, but just watch and listen to the sneak peek videos of New Moon on Youtube. It's pathetic.

Jul 28 - 02:33 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

There's the great irony Heather, these supposedly enlightened examples of the male gender would be delighted to have more women there if they were dressed up as mini-skirted elf women in tank tops or big busted Japanese anime school girls who'd let them take a picture with them. You're all sad, sad little men...and you have my pity.

Bigbrother highly endorses more ladies on Rotten Tomatoes, unless you want to redecorate the bathroom here. That is forever a man's space and Bigbrother can't endorse that endeavor. :)

Jul 28 - 02:39 PM

Allie 2.

Allie 2911

Ouch! haha

Jul 28 - 07:14 PM

Patty H.

Patty Horine

Heather I couldn't have said that better myself. Although I do wish we Twilight fans didn't have to deal with all the screaming 14 year-olds.

Jul 29 - 03:37 PM

corrina c.

corrina chisholm

SOOO right get a life and STOP trashing twilight

Jul 29 - 06:03 PM

Commissar Pepsi

Ryan McPhail

Wow, what a *****.

Jul 30 - 03:00 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Oooh!...cold.

Jul 27 - 09:53 PM

Shauna R.

Shauna Rutherford

Thanks for the updates Jen, you're doing an awesome job of getting cool new information. I love to hear the actor's opinions on things.

Isn't it funny that people don't gripe about having an Iron Man 2, Alice in Wonderland, or Harry Potter article everyday? I guess there is just really something about Twilight that drives them insane. For example, I don't really have an interest in the new Green Lantern movie coming out but there always seems to be new info on here about it. Do I go on their forums and whine about it? Nope. If you don't like the movie, please move on and leave us the f*** alone.

Jul 27 - 09:55 PM

Wissmongler

xou xiong

and the battle of the pale faces start agian

Jul 27 - 10:03 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

*grabs popcorn and shares with Million Dollar Boy* This should be fun!

Jul 27 - 10:23 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

While Meyer's books are some of the worst written mass-market POS I've read (well, I've only read snips here and there, but enough to get the stink of it), they are some of the most recognizable and most popular pieces of media (I won't use the term literature) in recent years and thus having an article a day (or more) is justifiable. RT's goal, I imagine, is to appeal more to the masses and not just the cinemaphiles, etc who might grow weary of continuing coverage of SM's teen-clean-porn for women.

Jul 27 - 10:15 PM

Kachina L.

Kachina Lively

I registered just so I could respond to your message.

I have read the entire Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers, three times now. I LOVE THEM ALL! I loved the Twilight Movie and expect New Moon will blow Twilight out of the water! I am not sure who you are to be so critical but then again as you stated, 'I've only read snips here and there'... Who would listen to you??? You have NO idea what you are talking about to begin with!

Why has Stephanie's work sold so many? Why are all her books being made into movies, now? OH, Bane of Anubis...you are wrong to be critical of great works! It shows how small you are...

I am a Mother of Two and Grandmother of Five and I love Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Series! Oh, by the by, I have a Master's Degree...too

STEPHANIE MEYER'S ROCKS!!! Go Team Edward, Go Team Jasper... Go Team Jacob...Go Team Bella, Go Team Cullens...I LOVE THEM ALL!

Take yourself down the road...little girl...Twilight Series AIN'T Just For Teens!!! Grandma's Love It, too!!

Jul 28 - 05:36 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

"OH, Bane of Anubis...you are wrong to be critical of great works! It shows how small you are..." I may be small, but I pack a big punch 8) -- just b/c something is well-received doesn't make it a great work... my wife, who hasn't read twilight, but has heard the buzz, wanted to know what the big fuss was, so we went to a store and picked up the last in the series and flipped open to several different pages... the person who said her 13 year old brother could write better sentences was spot on...

Now, she obviously can strike a nerve w/ storyline/characterization or what have you; that, however, doesn't make it a well-written book (albeit an entertaining one for many)... Soap operas do the same thing and they're not exactly high quality H20... Ask authors (big and small) if she can write and most will tell you that she can write a story, but that she can't write a sentence...

Stephen King was pitch perfect w/ his analysis -- JKR is someone who can write a story and a sentence.

I'm guessing you don't have an MFA -- and, for the record (for everyone), multiple ??? and !!! don't emphasize points (NEITHER DOES CAPITALIZATION), they devalue them.

All this being said, good on SM for getting more people to read. Unfortunately, if you hold her writing as great literature (or even close), you probably need to visit your local library and check out a few different books not in the YA section.

Jul 28 - 10:12 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

*grabs popcorn and shares with Million Dollar Boy* This should be fun!

Jul 27 - 10:23 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships