Como Era Gostoso o Meu FrancÍs (How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Como Era Gostoso o Meu FrancÍs (How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman) Reviews

½ September 28, 2009
How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman (1973) Come Era Gostoso O Meu Frances (1971) short film 80 minutes. Though this is not a documentary it seems like a documentary because of the harsh lighting and some what poor production values ( by todays standards). This is a film that Werner Herzog would have made in 1970. (was he making documentaries then?) Almost all of the dialogue in the film was written in the Tupi language. The actors and actresses who portrayed the Tupinambas wore historically correct attire resulting in a considerable amount of historically correct nudity and semi-nudity in ALL scenes. "How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman" is the first absolutely non-exploitative (not nonerotic) movie I have seen to require almost total nudity from its cast, both sexes. The primary point of the film is to show us the 16th century culture clash of Europeans and native South Americans but because this is a Brazilian film it's impossible to ignore any attendant political criticism of European colonial practices during that period of history (the film-makers should have taken a hearty bite out of the Spanish while they were at it) Excellent film and great look at a world that no longer exists. A Frenchman is captured by the Tupinambas Indians. They want to eat him but decide to keep him for a while and they also provide him with a wife. He adopts and joins their culture. The directors film Vidas Secas also is a wonderful unusual film. SEE MY Lists: I have 5 lists of foreign films submitted for Foreign Oscar best film (by year) I have new list of foriegn films submitted for best foreign film for 2009 (Feb 2010 Oscars) four stars. almost five stars. Fascinating film.
December 22, 2013
Very strange film works well as a curiosity, but not much more.
November 30, 2012
86%

"In this country no Governor, no Bishop or other authority could please God, Our Lord for the evil is much impregnated in the customs."-Father Nobrega
½ August 15, 2010
½ August 15, 2010
This movie is weird. Overkill on the nudity, and underkill on the plot. Has some OK points, but not recommended.