The Company of Wolves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Company of Wolves Reviews

garyX
½ June 18, 2007
An adolescent girl dreams of a fairytale world inhabited by werewolves in this Gothic horror reinterpretation of the Red Hiding Hood story by Neil Jordan. The Company Of Wolves is loaded with metaphors and sexual symbolism, featuring snakes, hedgehogs, girls climbing tall trees and pure whites tainted by blood reds at every turn. Visually it has been rather influential; Tim Burton is clearly a fan and Ridley Scott's Legend owes a great debt to Jordan's vision. Some of the effects have not dated so well but the elaborate studio bound sets still look good and there are striking images throughout. Unfortunately the plot is little more than a montage of stories within stories that lack any kind of narrative coherence which failed to engage me in any way beyond an intellectual level. An interesting rather than entertaining film that is soaked in atmosphere but lacks the required structure to hang it upon.
puffchunk
½ October 25, 2007
I was really excited for the old skool special effects, but the lack of interesting story finally caught up with it by the end.
½ December 21, 2007
A wonderfully designed mixture of fairytale and pure psychedelic fantasy. The transformation dinner sequence is worthy of werewolf legend and the whole film feels like some possessive dream. A wonderful oddity even if it doesn't feel like a traditional film.
August 12, 2007
The company of wolves is very far from being the typical movie about werewolves, it's very different from films such as An American Werewolf in London or The Howling. This film is full of symbolism, it's a kind of rewriting of Perrault's Little Red Ridding Hood with Freudian elements. The film was directed by Neil Jordan, but in it we can notice the writing of Angela Carter, an author who is mainly interested in rewriting folklore myths from a feminist point of view. If you see this film you will enter a world of magic, of dreams, not only by means of the script, but also by the settings, which are really wonderful. The film itself deals with the end of childhood and the beginning of adolescence, with all its sexual connotations, and the loss of innocence. When we become adults we realize life is not a magic tale. All this is treated from a feminist point of view, the main character is a girl who dreams about several stories with werewolves. Visually the movie is incredible, and it manages to reflect the symbolism of woods, the mixture of light and darkness, the magic creatures which live there during the night and the dangerous inside them especially for the girls who don't follow the path. From my point of view the film is one of the best dealing with the myth of werewolves, mainly because the film is a metaphor of life, of the human specie, all of us have an animal inside.
½ June 18, 2007
I really like this movie. Great sets, good effects (brought to you without CGI enhancement), a little spooky and just a touch erotic. A fairy tale story for adults.
½ June 9, 2007
A series of poetic vignettes about werewolves. It's very much an anthology of werewolf tales, much how the Broadway musical "Cats" is about cats. There are horrific elements within, but I would classify this as a "dark fantasy". Many have mentioned sensual overtones, but I focus on the imagery, music and atmosphere each time I watch this film. It was sadly misrepresented in how it was marketed. I like this movie for its atmosphere. The ending is fantastic when the wolves enter the mansion.
April 3, 2009
Neil Jordan should do more fantasy, he has a perfect eye for it. Here he retells Little Red Riding Hood, and then some. It's a gorgeous, sumptuous film with beautiful production design (Furst works the same magic he did with Batman), and some fucking amazing werewolf transformation scenes. Only An American Werewolf In London has done it better.
October 8, 2009
One of the most imaginative and original films I have ever seen!

Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) tells a very detailed and vivid story about a girl who has shut herself off in her room from her pesky and bratty sister. As she lies sulking in bed she slips into a dream state that transports her back to a simpler time where she is told fantastic stories of witches, and werewolves by her Granny (Angela Lansbury). The film is loosely based on several well known tales mostly Little Red Riding Hood. As with most fairy tales their are morals to be learned as is the case in The Company of Wolves as this little girl slowly learns who and who not to trust. Sexual undertones also run throughout the film giving it a romantic and eerie look and feel. What sets the film apart from most is just how detailed and imaginative the film becomes in it's 95 minute run-time their so many wonderful shots and effects that make The Company of Wolves a real treat for anyone who enjoys a very fantasy heavy horror film. These are the kind of movies that make wanna be filmmakers like myself very happy because with a bit of imagination something like this can get made, and it is a really great movie to watch especially with Halloween so close.

Also just a little FYI, amongst all the great actors the film has you get a quick glimpse of Terence Stamp as The Devil so if you watch the movie keep an eye out for him and some other familiar faces as well.
½ April 6, 2009
Saw this many many years ago and its a very weird version of Little Red riding Hood.
June 12, 2008
This movie felt artsy, with all the crazy imagery. I just thought it was okay. The special effects don't age well.
shannylee38
½ February 5, 2008
Considering that Neil Jordan worked with the fairy tale writer Angela Carter for this film, the director adapts the Little Red Ridding Hood story. But it has a different twist to the film which is a very nice and beautiful. Similar to all fairy tales, it always has a moral at the end (for children). But the ending of this film has a different moral. Although it is based from a children's book, the film is not dedicated for children under 13. It has many sexual references which relates to the young girl childhood phase going into her adulthood phase.The setting is very colourful, mostly red, which can represent many elements of a teenage girl.
Basically, the film has a mix of Labyrinth and Pan's Labyrinth. All in all, it is visually attractive and the story could relate to many young women. But it always depends how you see the film.
January 10, 2007
Gave this another look for the Halloween '09 season, and man it's every but as eerie and surreal as it was all those years ago on VHS.

Dreamy and unsettling, drifting through a world of fantasy, this is a wonderful mood piece, filled with practical effects, old world superstitions and Gothic style to burn.

Happy to finally have a Blu-ray release of it, even if it had to be imported.

Highly recommended.
½ August 3, 2012
The cover for this always freaked me out whenever I would see it at the video store as a kid. What kid wouldn't be afraid of Little Red Riding Hood imagery mixed with werewolves? The sets are good and I like the look of this but it was kind of dull.
½ April 4, 2012
Poetic, beautiful and weird. The special effects are dated but still rad and intense. The pacing of the movie start to drag it down a bit, but the uniqueness of the movie still make it a strong and original werewolf film.
January 19, 2012
An incoherent, boring take on Little Red Riding Hood.

It's about as frightening as the awful 50 cent cover art.
July 8, 2011
A deliciously dark, atmospheric dreamworld filled with the dangers of sexuality, nature, and straying from what it known to be safe. Sarah Patterson is remarkable in a lead role that requires strength and venerability, and the special effects, while dated, are pretty damn swell. Easily one of the best film adaptations of Little Red RIding Hood, alongside the criminally underrated FREEWAY.
½ March 15, 2011
Because Red Riding Hood was released in theaters this week (and I am not going to throw the money down to see what is most likely a horrible movie) I rented The Company of Wolves instead. This movie confused the hell out of me. Its lead actress, Sarah Patterson, was fantastic and it turns out she only acted in one other film before quitting the business and supposedly starting a family. What a shame; she held her own against Angela Lansbury and easily out-acted David Warner.

The movie is a dream/nightmare within a dream, hence all of they symbolism, imagery, and resulting confusion. After reading about this film, it appears its whole double meaning went right over my head. It turns out that Red Riding Hood is about the emerging sexuality/menstruation of a girl. Who knew? The girl must not 'stray from the path', the beasts will abuse you after they have had their way with you, the death of granny and the burning of the red shawl is really her saying goodbye to granny's protection and accepting the onset of adulthood, etc... I suppose it does work at that level, but was I really supposed to pick up on all of this during the film? If I was, I absolutely failed.

I will never think about the Red Riding Hood story the same way again now that I know it's really a Brother's Grimm meets Judy Blume scenario. When it comes time to teach my daughter about the birds and the bees, I'll just tell her to read Red Riding Hood, but between the lines.
June 6, 2010
If you want to feel superior in front of your TWILIGHT-loving "friends" who are going to see RED RIDING HOOD this weekend, mention this title