Movies Like The Company of Wolves

The Company of Wolves Reviews

garyX
garyX

June 18, 2007
An adolescent girl dreams of a fairytale world inhabited by werewolves in this Gothic horror reinterpretation of the Red Hiding Hood story by Neil Jordan. The Company Of Wolves is loaded with metaphors and sexual symbolism, featuring snakes, hedgehogs, girls climbing tall trees and pure whites tainted by blood reds at every turn. Visually it has been rather influential; Tim Burton is clearly a fan and Ridley Scott's Legend owes a great debt to Jordan's vision. Some of the effects have not dated so well but the elaborate studio bound sets still look good and there are striking images throughout. Unfortunately the plot is little more than a montage of stories within stories that lack any kind of narrative coherence which failed to engage me in any way beyond an intellectual level. An interesting rather than entertaining film that is soaked in atmosphere but lacks the required structure to hang it upon.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 25, 2007
I was really excited for the old skool special effects, but the lack of interesting story finally caught up with it by the end.
Luke B

December 21, 2007
A wonderfully designed mixture of fairytale and pure psychedelic fantasy. The transformation dinner sequence is worthy of werewolf legend and the whole film feels like some possessive dream. A wonderful oddity even if it doesn't feel like a traditional film.
Cassandra M

August 12, 2007
The company of wolves is very far from being the typical movie about werewolves, it's very different from films such as An American Werewolf in London or The Howling. This film is full of symbolism, it's a kind of rewriting of Perrault's Little Red Ridding Hood with Freudian elements. The film was directed by Neil Jordan, but in it we can notice the writing of Angela Carter, an author who is mainly interested in rewriting folklore myths from a feminist point of view. If you see this film you will enter a world of magic, of dreams, not only by means of the script, but also by the settings, which are really wonderful. The film itself deals with the end of childhood and the beginning of adolescence, with all its sexual connotations, and the loss of innocence. When we become adults we realize life is not a magic tale. All this is treated from a feminist point of view, the main character is a girl who dreams about several stories with werewolves. Visually the movie is incredible, and it manages to reflect the symbolism of woods, the mixture of light and darkness, the magic creatures which live there during the night and the dangerous inside them especially for the girls who don't follow the path. From my point of view the film is one of the best dealing with the myth of werewolves, mainly because the film is a metaphor of life, of the human specie, all of us have an animal inside.
Dr Blood

June 23, 2007
Although made more horrible by the participation of the hateful Angela Lansbury, this is supposed to be a fantasy rather than a horror film.
Cindy I

June 18, 2007
I really like this movie. Great sets, good effects (brought to you without CGI enhancement), a little spooky and just a touch erotic. A fairy tale story for adults.
Lafe F

June 9, 2007
A series of poetic vignettes about werewolves. It's very much an anthology of werewolf tales, much how the Broadway musical "Cats" is about cats. There are horrific elements within, but I would classify this as a "dark fantasy". Many have mentioned sensual overtones, but I focus on the imagery, music and atmosphere each time I watch this film. It was sadly misrepresented in how it was marketed. I like this movie for its atmosphere. The ending is fantastic when the wolves enter the mansion.
Marcus W

April 3, 2009
Neil Jordan should do more fantasy, he has a perfect eye for it. Here he retells Little Red Riding Hood, and then some. It's a gorgeous, sumptuous film with beautiful production design (Furst works the same magic he did with Batman), and some fucking amazing werewolf transformation scenes. Only An American Werewolf In London has done it better.
Jason R

October 8, 2009
One of the most imaginative and original films I have ever seen!

Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) tells a very detailed and vivid story about a girl who has shut herself off in her room from her pesky and bratty sister. As she lies sulking in bed she slips into a dream state that transports her back to a simpler time where she is told fantastic stories of witches, and werewolves by her Granny (Angela Lansbury). The film is loosely based on several well known tales mostly Little Red Riding Hood. As with most fairy tales their are morals to be learned as is the case in The Company of Wolves as this little girl slowly learns who and who not to trust. Sexual undertones also run throughout the film giving it a romantic and eerie look and feel. What sets the film apart from most is just how detailed and imaginative the film becomes in it's 95 minute run-time their so many wonderful shots and effects that make The Company of Wolves a real treat for anyone who enjoys a very fantasy heavy horror film. These are the kind of movies that make wanna be filmmakers like myself very happy because with a bit of imagination something like this can get made, and it is a really great movie to watch especially with Halloween so close.

Also just a little FYI, amongst all the great actors the film has you get a quick glimpse of Terence Stamp as The Devil so if you watch the movie keep an eye out for him and some other familiar faces as well.
Lee K

April 6, 2009
Saw this many many years ago and its a very weird version of Little Red riding Hood.
Marion R

June 12, 2008
This movie felt artsy, with all the crazy imagery. I just thought it was okay. The special effects don't age well.
shannylee38
shannylee38

February 5, 2008
Considering that Neil Jordan worked with the fairy tale writer Angela Carter for this film, the director adapts the Little Red Ridding Hood story. But it has a different twist to the film which is a very nice and beautiful. Similar to all fairy tales, it always has a moral at the end (for children). But the ending of this film has a different moral. Although it is based from a children's book, the film is not dedicated for children under 13. It has many sexual references which relates to the young girl childhood phase going into her adulthood phase.The setting is very colourful, mostly red, which can represent many elements of a teenage girl.
Basically, the film has a mix of Labyrinth and Pan's Labyrinth. All in all, it is visually attractive and the story could relate to many young women. But it always depends how you see the film.
January 10, 2007
Gave this another look for the Halloween '09 season, and man it's every but as eerie and surreal as it was all those years ago on VHS.

Dreamy and unsettling, drifting through a world of fantasy, this is a wonderful mood piece, filled with practical effects, old world superstitions and Gothic style to burn.

Happy to finally have a Blu-ray release of it, even if it had to be imported.

Highly recommended.
rodjeckrich
August 3, 2012
The cover for this always freaked me out whenever I would see it at the video store as a kid. What kid wouldn't be afraid of Little Red Riding Hood imagery mixed with werewolves? The sets are good and I like the look of this but it was kind of dull.
September 16, 2010
This work was fantastic in every sense of the word, a delicious, thrilling, and often humorous tale full of winks and nods to the powerful symbolism of fairy tales. It is not simply a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, but several tales within tales, metaphors within metaphors, replete with dirty side-glances and alluring rosy-cheeked virgins. Lest we be disgusted or bored with the broad strokes, they are equally matched with unspoken truths and fast-paced plot twists, leaving resolution always just tantalizingly out-of-reach. And even though the special effects are somewhat crude and low-budget, they are stylized correctly. And yet, on another level, it was a grand fable, an adult morality play...and perhaps a bit of a confession.
May 2, 2010
i had never heard of this movie until recently when looking up werewolf movies. I must say the transformation sequences are about second only to the ones used in American Werewolf In London. They are THAT good, THAT gory, THAT surrealistic/nightmarishishly good.
Too bad the rest of the movie sucks major ass. If I could edit together the good wolf parts, it would be a 15 minute movie, tops. The movie itself is an adaptation of 3 wolf stories by a particular writer whose name escapes now, and I will not google it. They are mainly metaphors for men's sexual and predatory characteristics and little girls' innocence being tainted by said wolves upon the time of blossoming into womanhood.
There is a "Chinese box" story structure where the main story is branshes off into 4 other stories being told by a character; and on top of all that; the entire movie is merely a dream. No, I have not spoiled anything since this seen from the very beginning. And you cannot spoil a story that just isn't there to begin with.
Too much European foreign style, not enough substance. Supposedly the director or producers were upset because it was marketed in the US as a 'horror' movie. If it wasn't, I'm darn sure the few people over here in the states who have seen this film WOULDN'T have seen it in the first place.

Rent it, if only for some awesome non-CGI effects (aka TALENTED PEOPLE).
October 22, 2006
Loved this film. I was a little unsure about watching it since I had previously read the short story it is based on and was worried that the movie would destroy it. However, while it is different it was well worth the watch. Overall the acting, sets and costumes were good. The special effects may not be spectacular when compared with today's but are still very good especially when considering this was filmed in the 80's. The is definitely a version of the little red riding hood tale that I would suggest giving a watch.
jes25924
November 14, 2008
Alot better than I imagined it. Stories within stories within dreams, all about werewolves, wolves, and a certain girl in a red hood on her way to grandma's house. Not as stylish as "Interview With The Vampire" would later be, but Niel Jordan does merge, a fairy tale whimsy with 80's special effects driven gore (there's very little violence, just alot of graphic, long, and bizzare transformation sequences).

From a novel by Angela Carter(who co-wrote the script with Jordan), it's an entertaining werewolve fairy tale movie, made so by it's novel structure, and decent(most of the actors) to pretty good performances(Angela Lansbury as Grandma).

Also for like the first 2 or 3 minutes, every frame no matter how brief has an animal in it, in the corner, or foreground, or background, don't know why I liked that so much, but it was nice, made me pay quick and close attention.

You could view it all as a sexual metaphor for budding adolesence (it's all framed as a dream), but it would be one of a few themes lightly touched here and never developed.

Very imaginative and stylized though. I'd watch it again.