Compound Fracture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Compound Fracture Reviews

½ April 14, 2014
Loved it! Supernatural scary! Edge of my seat type of movie. Would watch it again and again. Love that Tyler Mane, Derek Mears and Muse Watson!
October 9, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. Tyler gets to show off his acting skills, and does an excellent job. It's the story of a man trying to come to terms with the weight of his family's sins and secrets as he is forced to confront a father he left behind many years before. AND it stars some pretty heavyweight horror legends, Muse, Tyler and Derek. It's not a slasher, but there is a lot of suspense, blood, and action. I hope there is a follow up. Great job, Mane Entertainment!
June 28, 2013
What fantastic film! From the start it commands your attention and never lets go. The performances by Tyler Mane, Muse Watson, Renae Geerlings, Derek Mears and Alex Saxon were spectacular! I want to say so much more but I will spoil it for those that have yet to see it. If you love horror/thriller/suspense type movies, you will love this movie! I highly suggest this movie!
June 27, 2013
Going into the theatre last night, I wasn't sure of what to expect. With the names tied to the film, I naturally thought "slasher" film faceoff with a high gore factor. I was pleasantly taken in a different direction entirely and, let me tell you, the ride was incredible!
I would categorize this film as a rich, well-built and suspenseful, ghost story. It was like sinking into quicksand, but in a good way. At first, the situation seems familiar and easily dealt with, but as the story unfolds and the characters sink into your mind, you find yourself being sucked in and increasingly unsettled by your surroundings. By the point in the film when all hell breaks loose and the cards are all on the table, you are on the edge of your seat, gripping the chair and enjoying the ride. You may notice that I'm not spilling a lot about the actual story, but this is a film you'll want to see without spoilers or a clear breakdown of plot, so you're getting nothing from me!
I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed the build of this film. It is rare that you see a story structured this well. It is a fresh departure from the Hollywood formula that often leaves the viewer two steps ahead of the movie. I was taken along with the story, not the other way around, and it was fun.
The performances were spot on with each performer uniquely suited to their role. For example, Muse Watson is solid as the fading head of the family with a violent past and numerous demons in his closet. Who better to compliment this than Mane as the son who is now the alpha male in the house, capable of going down the same abusive road (and perhaps a hair away from doing so), but fighting the urges to continue making the same mistakes as his father. And who better to threaten these two powerhouses than the menacing figure of Derek Mears. This type of past/present reflection is also seen wonderfully in the characters portrayed by Leslie Easterbrook as the weary step-mother and Renae Geerlings, as the son's fiancÚ, as they explore exactly what being a part of the family truly means.
Acting was grounded and sincere with a script that tapped into a natural dialog in spite of the supernatural circumstances in the story. To point out shining spots would be to name everyone in the cast. Is it perfection? No, but even the imperfections seems a bit crafted. Any wooden or awkward interactions to be found happen within the first 15 minutes of the film, but seemed stylistic and purposeful. Like a slight-of-hand that sets the viewer up for one film, then rapidly pulls you to a place you don't expect.
On a side note, it was great to see the actors in the film given an opportunity to stretch their skills beyond the "masks" we may be accustomed to them wearing. The fact that Mane was a major creative force on this production speaks volumes for his potential and leaves me looking forward to his next work.
May 28, 2013
When a son returns home to his father after twenty years of silence, he doesn't come alone. Showing that horror does not require excessive blood, gore and sex, this film spins a tale of abuse, redemption, and family as Gary, a father plagued with progressive dementia, faces a threat he helped create. Not knowing exactly how to combat what can hardly be touched, Gary throws everything and the kitchen sink into his fight against this evil spirit to save what family he has left. From the amazing mind of Renae Geerlings, and starring Tyler Mane (Rob Zombie's Halloweens), Derek Mears (Friday the 13th 2009), Muse Watson (I Know What You Did Last Summer), and introducing Alex Saxon, come along and battle your own demons as you watch this masterpiece in action. Filmed in only 18 days, what this cast and crew have done is remarkable and inspiring to say the least, making this the perfect film to debut Mane Entertainment. I for one am looking forward to their next addition and you should be as well.
March 25, 2013
Excellent movie. Kind of a creepy thriller with all sorts of interesting plot work. I saw it at a screening with the writers, I look forward to seeing it again. Thinking about driving an hour or so just because I feel like I should see it again since I went in thinking it was going to be something entirely different then what it turned out to be.

EDIT: I actually drove close to 2 hours with traffic and am still very impressed with this movie. If you get the opportunity I would highly recommend checking it out.
½ November 28, 2015
Interesting idea, good acting, decent tension. Worth the watch.
July 23, 2015
Compound Fracture is what I'd imagine would happen if Rob Zombie's Halloween and the Supernatural TV series had a movie baby. It has tons of horror movie star power and is quite efficient at using it's low budget to make a film that rivals the big boys. It starts off slow for about the first 20 minutes to give weight and legitimacy to the story and its characters before leaping head-first into the action and suspense which is generously served up for the duration of the movie. You really start to care about each of the characters, which is rare for most horror films. The writing and directing are solid and I really enjoyed how the subdued color palette gave the story an even creepier vibe. The bulk of the film takes place in one location, but each scene is laid out in such a way that you barely notice that they've never left the compound. It was very reminiscent of movies like Saw and You're Next. Overall, I highly recommend this movie to anyone who has enjoyed any of these actors' other work and want a refreshing change of pace from the typical haunted house stories that are out there already. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
June 20, 2015
Interesting. It keeps your attention and draws you in.
½ June 7, 2015
A fun little movie that plays with the traditional horror constructs. It's low budget, but unique enough to keep you watching.
½ April 15, 2015
Bad acting,special effects and plot and cheesy action sequences...and that's not the good cheese.
December 21, 2014
This is playing soon in a week or TwoI can't get it or rent it anywhere so please If it's on contact me here online!
June 2, 2014
It's in the family's blood !
½ April 14, 2014
May 23, 2014
LOVED it and highly recommend it!
May 15, 2014
Went and saw this movie in Dallas! It was one of the best suspense movies I've seen in a long time! It makes me want a sequal and not allot of movies do that to me. Bravo 5 stars!!!
November 1, 2013
Saw the movie was good I would see it again.
October 9, 2013
½ September 14, 2013
My wife and I saw the movie last night. My wife is not a horror movie fan so there was very little expectation from her. By the time the movie ended we both thought it was very good. Well written and the concept was original, it wasn't another movie just repackaged. Tyler Mane and Renae Geerlings make an excellent team and delivered a great movie. It has plenty of suspense to go around and Derek Mears did a fantastic job as the villain in this flick. Start to finish the movie keeps you interested.
September 14, 2013
Brilliant! Tyler Mane has taken it to the next level.