Con Air (1997)
Average Rating: 5.7/10
Reviews Counted: 62
Fresh: 34 | Rotten: 28
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 5.1/10
Critic Reviews: 13
Fresh: 4 | Rotten: 9
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 415,255
Former war hero Cameron Poe (Nicolas Cage) is sentenced to eight years in prison when he accidentally kills a man in a barroom brawl while defending his pregnant wife. When his release comes through, he's eager to see the daughter he's never met. However, Poe's original flight is delayed, so he's put aboard a flight transporting ten of the most dangerous men in the American penal system to a new high-security facility. One of the criminals, Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom (John Malkovich), is a serial
Jun 6, 1997 Wide
Mar 24, 1998
Cyrus (The Virus) Gr...
Ramon "Sally-Can't D...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
They're 'the worst of the worst.' So's the movie.
Numbing but not boring, it's finally more dispiriting than exhilarating, like a wild night of debauchery that leaves only a fearsome hangover for a souvenir.
All of the principals normally work in films more interesting and human than this one, which gives Con Air a touch of the subversive and turns it into a big-budget lark.
The movie is essentially a series of quick setups, brisk dialogue and elaborate action sequences.
This frankly silly action movie scores major points for bordering on self-parody.
It's not exactly a spoof of action flicks, but everyone involved clearly has tongue wedged firmly within cheek.
Rude, crude, mindless action and nonstop gratuitous violence just don't get any better.
Bruckheimer may be the only producer working in Hollywood today who deserves the auteur treatment.
Director Simon West pulls off the impossible task of having the film make constant fun of itself and its viewers while keeping the storyline grounded enough for emotional payoffs.
This is a big, silly film. Is it full of explosions and one-liners? Of course. Is it entertaining? Of course.
The Hollywood ending hurts the film's integrity, diminishing what could easily have become a classic of the genre.
With West's confident competence, and Bruckheimer's reliable slickness, Con Air gets out of its own way and becomes a trash classic.
Jerry Bruckheimer should be thankful for the modern audience's short attention span.
I don't know how it happened, or what Simon West was thinking, but the first half of Con Air is brilliant and the second half is a non-stop climax, and a dimwitted one at that.
Cage carries the first action flick of the year that's worthy of topping the box-office charts.
Has a strange air of nonchalant wackiness about it that makes it hard not to like.
It's slapped together childishly and has no real foundation to render it even vaguely capable of withstanding a lapping wave of intellect or logic.
Audience Reviews for Con Air
Movies Like Con Air
- Cameron Poe: You don't treat women like that.
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: I am not plausible as a tough guy because I have an effeminate voice.
- Vince Larkin: When are you going with my plane, Cyrus?
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: We're going to Disney Land.
- Vince Larkin: You're lying, Cyrus.
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: So are you, Vince.
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: Oh. Nothing makes me sadder than the agent lost his bladder in the airplane!
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: Do you fly, Johnny?
- Johnny 23: No.
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: You keep that in mind when you look at her, because if your dick jumps out of your pants, you jump off this plane.
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: I despise rapists. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty. But, in your case, I'll make an exception.
- Cyrus (The Virus) Grissom: Make a move and the bunny gets it.
Discuss Con Air on our Movie forum!
Latest News on Con Air
March 5, 2012:John Cusack Is Up for Con Air 2
He says he'd do it, but no one has asked him.
July 27, 2011:Nicolas Cage and John Cusack Test The Frozen Ground
The "Con Air" stars are in talks to star in Scott Walker's based-on-a-true-story thriller.
June 30, 2011:Comic-Con 2011: What RT and Friends Are Most Anticipating
Every year, San Diego's famed Comic-Con brings curious collectors and fervent fans the latest news...