100% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop Reviews

Sanjay R

December 10, 2011
An interesting look into the celebrity's life and his comeback from being kicked off TV. It isn't as funny as I had hoped, but it stays interesting and keeps your attention throughout.
Matthew S

May 9, 2011
Conan said it best when speaking about his tour: this is raw Conan. He swears like a f-ing sailor and berates his s---ty staff all g-- damn day. Wink!
Joe M

November 4, 2011
If I could show up not do my job and get paid 30 million dollars I wouldn't still be complaining about it years later. Quit crying you big girl.
Ken S

June 20, 2011
While it didn't blow me away, it was great to see behind the scenes look at how Conan operates.
Sam B

October 30, 2011
Though the insight pretty much stops at "showbusiness is both good and bad," this documentary is a pretty captivating look both at what touring is like, and into the (always goofy, but sometimes surprisingly controlling) mind of the man himself. Its a behind the scenes view that remains as funny as the acts themselves, thanks to the fact that, in the end, Conan O'Brien in real life is just as funny and engaging as he is on stage.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

May 22, 2011
Cast: Conan O'Brien, Andy Richter, Jimmy Vivino, Scott Healy, Mike Merritt, James Wormworth, Jerry Vivino

Director: Rodman Flender

Summary: Following his unplanned and highly publicized departure from NBC, exiled talk show host Conan O'Brien decides to take his show on the road. This documentary captures that uproarious tour as well as O'Brien's dramatic break with his ex-employers.

My Thoughts: "My only reasons for watching this is because I am a fan of his and was interested in the way he was feeling after quiting/being let go from a network he gave so much to. It was nice to see him in a more raw, human and personal way. You see his highs and lows. How hard he is on himself. He is very honest in the film and is obviously hurt and angry as he should be. Definitely an interesting insight to the end of one journey and the beginning to another. I love his show and watch it when I get the chance to."
boxman
boxman

October 6, 2011
You'd think that a behind-the-scenes documentary in the immediate aftermath of Conan O'Brien being paid $30 million to walk away from his dream job hosting The Tonight Show would have plenty of drama and revelations. It doesn't. This thin documentary mostly just tags along on O'Brien's multi-city comedy tour during the time he was contractually obligated to not appear on TV. O'Brien doesn't go into much detail about the Tonight Show brouhaha, making only vague references to his ouster in conversations about confronting his anger. Fans of the gawky comedian will be put off by O'Brien's often hurtful, prickly behavior toward his subordinates and co-workers. He has a biting wit but often that wit has a discernible edge, making everyone feel uncomfortable, and now you too at home. His bitterness always seems to be bubbling. He's a conflicted man, bemoaning meeting and greeting fans, citing the exhaustive nature of always being "on," but then in the next moment he'll charge into a crowd to feel alive again. Conan O'Brien Can't Stop is a lackluster documentary that has a few laughs since it does chronicle a road show about funny people, but it's not too long before even O'Brien fans might wish that he'd just stop.

Nate's Grade: C
Matt G

August 6, 2011
Conan O'Brien: Don't talk to me

'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' is one of the most engaging documentaries I've ever seen. After countless LOYAL years serving NBC as a late-night talk host, Conan O'Brien was laid off to be replaced by the unfunny Jay Leno. Being furious with this, O'Brien decides to take his show on the road; performing 44 sketch shows for audiences in various states. The documentary focuses on his [short] time off air prior to his employment as a talk show host on TBS.

Team Coco at it's finest. I'm not one to watch documentaries, but it's doubtful that I'll skip something Conan related (the guy's funny to me), and I am certainly grateful I saw this one. There are countless jokes he makes throughout that only hardcore Coco fans would understand, and when they hit you, it'll have you laughing for days. There are some laughs for everyone; most notably the Jack McBrayer tease with Jon Hamm.

It's not all fun and games though; we see a much darker side of Conan that nobody expected nor wanted to see, yet I found it somewhat engrossing. It's odd; on stage, Conan's a laugh riot, and easily clicks with the audience; off stage, he's a control freak, and sort of a wreck, but always remains true to who he is emotionally. Regardless, 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' is a documentary that is good for a watch if you are at all interested in the exploits of this funny, funny man who will always be superior to Jay Leno.
Dan S

September 23, 2011
An insightful, often very funny look at the rage and passion that fueled one of the funniest men in show-biz, and how he took his anger on the road to let it all out in the open. O'Brien has a tendency to come across as a little whiny and self-important at times, but his acute self-awareness of his overall situation as well as his ability to create comedy out of something hurtful and painful (NBC's atrocious handling of "The Tonight Show", where they did not give him enough time to win back any of the Leno crowd and thus, his contract was bought-out), is definitely something to be admired. Sure, he knows he is a big deal and the way in which he talks behind people's backs after he just met and talked to them is a little distasteful, but one can understand his exhaustion after giving himself totally to his devoted fans time and time again. For Coco fans especially, it is a treat, and as said, often very funny.
Spencer S

May 24, 2011
As a fan of Coco and his gangly presence onstage and off, I knew the trailer for this debacle was no lie, but a window into the oncoming storm that is Conan O'Brien. Besides including the varied hilarity that O'Brien is known for, we are open to a Lazarus figure, rising much like a Phoenix from the proverbial flames of network TV condemnation. He is followed around by a loyal crew of writers, his big band, producer, and television sidekick Andy Richter. The documentary gives us snippets from his highly improvised show, featuring music, griping about his fading glory and subsequent isolation, and some sudden star powered cameos, including Jim Carrey, Jon Hamm, Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart, and even Eddie Vedder. As he wades through his tiring tour, some parts of him vividly unravel before our eyes. Though truly a man of a million quirks and happily plays the goon for his adoring and absolutely loyal fans, he is growing decidedly bitter, taking out his frustration with the world in various ways. Though his show is supposed to be the outlet with which he is shedding all manner of emotional disgust, it is apparent from his perfectionism and repressed passive aggressive nature that this isn't something to get over before his return to television. He even admits that some of the jokes he relates to his staff have a sharp edge, and this shows in his interactions with his staff and production crew. Really strange are the quasi-abusive remarks he makes to Jack McBrayer. That especially felt brutal and out of place since McBrayer seems to be the quaintest guy in the world. We do see the low points, his family life, and the disease of never being able to slow down and begin again. It's very evocative, crude, and lovable, all with the humor of a stark raving mad O'Brien. What's not to love?
blkbomb
blkbomb

September 22, 2011
Conan O'Brien: Should I be worried we're opening in a town where nobody lives?

"Do you think you could have fun without an audience in front of you?"

Seeing as Conan O'Brien is the only late night talk show host I watch and actually like, there was no way I was missing this. The guy is an icon. Conan O'Brien Can't Stop chronicles a music/comedy tour that Conan put on when he wasn't allowed to be on tv. He may have gotten some money to walk away from NBC, but what he really wants is an audience that he can project himself to. He is a true entertainer. He sings, plays guitar, dances, tells jokes  and converses with such ease.

There's times in the movie where it seems like Conan is being a dick, yet you don't really know if he truly is or not. It's hard to tell when he's joking and when he's not because for years all we have seen of him is joking. That's what he does; he jokes. So when he is being firm and demanding with some of the people who work around him; it still seems like he is being funny.

There's moments where he just doesn't want to go on with his shows or appearances for fans, yet every time he gets around people he turns it on. He has a skill of feeding of the fans and just appearing to always be enthused; just always looking like he is having the most he has ever had. There's a reason everyone loves this guy. He's a funny and personable guy that people just want to hang out with. And if there's one thing that this film will tell you, it is that people do love Conan and maybe more than you think.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 3, 2011
Conan O'Brien like you've never seen him before: unshaved and out of a job. Not that he's suffering much financially, but the whole mess with The Tonight Show, caused by the moronic whims of some highly incompetent TV producers, still qualifies as a travesty in my eyes. It's not an altogether bad thing though, because otherwise we would have never had this fun and inviting documentary. A very personal and humor-filled film, that lets us get to know Conan the Human, as opposed to just Conan the Entertainer. Now, I've never been a big fan of his shows, but he's always seemed like a funny guy to me, and I'll never forget his great contributions to the early seasons of The Simpsons. That owes his some major respect in my book. So regardless if you like his material or not, the all-access qualities of this delightful biocumentary, makes it well worth the view. The only thing missing is an appearance by Triumph the Comic Insult Dog. Then it would have been truly magnifico.
Lewis C

April 17, 2011
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop follows the popular funnyman after he took his show on the road after leaving NBC in 2010. Any fan of his will enjoy this at times intimate look at Conan immediately after one of the most publicly turbulent periods of his career.
Liam G

September 14, 2011
A very entertaining and insightful documentary of a very talented man who isn't performing to make money, he's performing to entertain his audience and make them have a great time.
Kevin C

August 24, 2011
An inspring portrait of one of the most hard-working and talented entertainers today.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 22, 2011
"You have forty thousand people in the palm of your hand. It's like watching Hitler... but a nicer Hitler."

A documentary on Conan O'Brien's comedy tour of the U.S. and Canada after leaving his post at "The Tonight Show" and severing his relationship with NBC.

REVIEW
TV talk-show comic host Conan O'Brien's inspired "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television" stand-up concert tour - in response to his being unceremoniously bounced from NBC's "The Tonight Show"/Jay Leno fiasco allows documentarian Rodman Flender full access to the comedian's attempts to adapt to the ongoing frustrations of performing, maintaining his sanity and daily odds-on battles with his personae - nice guy comic or misanthropic egotistical jerk (more so the former, frankly) - with his sidekick Andy Richter, special guests Jack White, Jack Black, Kyle Gass, Jim Carrey, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart and Jack McBrayer - that manages to keep tabs with the pent up anger at his mistreatment and his personal goals of being funny (sounds harder than it is). Funny, glib, witty, snarky and clever by a mile - the film, like its subject - can be pricky and sweet at the same time and trust me edgy comedy is always the best in the long run. Go Coco!
Cory T

July 13, 2011
Usually documentaries revolve around zeitgeist subject matters and wartime politics like the films of Michael Moore or the recent exposes on the economy and health-care. However, 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' is not swamped in non-escapism. In fact, it's one of the funniest movies released all year and one of the most invasive in terms of Conan's ingratiating nature in which he feels he owes the fan more than humanly possible. At several points, "meet and greets" overextend themselves and despite his fatigue, Conan never denies them access. He delegates to Sonia his assistant to filter through the guests because he has a pathological fixation with a positive self-portrait of himself through other's approval. It's a fascinating, jaunty documentary that also displays Conan's spontaneously witty rapport with his crew. Zapped of energy, Conan is still an electrifying comedian (e.g. He bitterly and hilariously berates Jack McBrayer's hayseed personality). Conan confesses that he possesses anger with the bungling NBC network but in order to stave off the sting, he thrusts himself headfirst into the creative process of corralling a crowd.
Sunny D

June 19, 2011
'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' provides an interesting look into the life of a comedian. The audience gets to see O'Brien at what had to be one of the most vulnerable moments of his life, and gets to see what goes into producing a show like the one Conan put on. The film is genuine, funny, and definitely worth seeing. Grade: B+
Everett J

July 2, 2011
I've never been much of a late night talk show viewer, but I've always liked Conan O'Brien. Last year when all that stuff happened between he and Jay Leno, I was fascinated and stayed on top of it all. I really thought O'Brien got screwed in the whole ordeal and hated the way NBC treated him. After he got the boot he went on a 32 city music/comedy tour, and this documents that tour. This is kind of like the Michael Jackson movie "This is It", as it shows O'Brien prepare the tour, rehearse, and then perform. You really get a fly on the wall view of the way Conan does things, and get a good perspective of who he is. He comes off as a charming, funny, and overall good person(at least while this camera was filming him). The movie drags a bit, but only runs around 80 minutes, so it's at the perfect length for what it is. He's a very talented entertainer, and I hope he does more tours like this, because I'd love to catch a show. If your an O'Brien fan then you will LOVE this. If your a Leno fan, then piss off or get on board with Team Coco:-p
Eric B

September 16, 2011
What's strangest about this documentary is how little it flatters its subject. O'Brien offers few laughs, and mostly reveals himself as an itchy, passive-aggressive, overly profane complainer who is desperate for an audience's approval yet is sick of having to coddle his fans. Nothing fresh is revealed about his conflict with NBC, and it's not even clear how he padded out a full evening's entertainment on all those tour dates. (Did he really do THAT much singing?) His chemistry with his staff is more about playful antagonism than warmth, and his hillbilly ribbing of "30 Rock"'s Jack McBrayer crosses the line into cruelty. Really, the only person in the film who gets a chance to be likable is his nurturing assistant Sona. Everyone else is just wearily grinding through a tough schedule.