New Conan the Barbarian Film Finds a Home

Who's taking over for Arnold?

If there are two things we've learned about Hollywood this year, they are: 1) No license is too old, or too strange, to adapt for the big screen; and 2) The studios never met a franchise they didn't like. The folks who manage the film rights for Conan the Barbarian are aware of this, and after trying for seven years to get a new Conan film made at Warner Bros., have taken their marbles and gone home. Or to Millennium Films, as the case may be.

According to Variety, the relationship between Warners and Conan's team at Paradox Entertainment broke down this spring, when Paradox's CEO declined to renew the studio's option and placed the rights back on the open market. Though finding a new home took a little doing -- Paradox is looking for a quick turnaround, and was asking for a lot of money besides -- the potential franchise has landed at Millennium (home of Sylvester Stallone's forthcoming Rambo sequel), and is scheduled to start production by next spring.

The folks at Millennium have their work cut out for them; as the article notes, the project had no shortage of would-be shepherds during its time at Warners:

Putting together a big-scale project from scratch on such a tight timetable won't be easy. WB invested seven years of sweat, with top-shelf names like Larry and Andy Wachowski, John Milius (who directed the original from a script he co-wrote with Oliver Stone) and Robert Rodriguez all writing drafts. Boaz Yakin penned the last one.

One factor the article doesn't mention is casting, which will present its own challenges. Not only was Arnold Schwarzenegger about as perfect a Conan as Hollywood's ever likely to find, but action stars in general aren't as big as they were during the muscled-up '80s. So we ask you, residents of the Vine: Who would you cast as the axe-wielding, loincloth-rocking barbarian?

Source: Variety

Comments

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

Maybe it's me, but I don't think Arnold was the best choice for Conan. They needed someone tall, charismatic, and physically fit - but not necessarily a body builder who struggled with the language and his acting. I like Arnold and enjoyed him in other roles, but I am sure there were - and are - better choices for this role. I think Eric Bana showed how you can be in a swords and sandals film and still show great acting and action - as he did in (the mediocre )Troy.

Aug 13 - 07:44 AM

LAZARUS007

Stephen Abang

Have u seen how muscular conan is?? My bet Micheal JAI WHITE, OR THEY CAN FIND A NOBODY; NEW FACE!!!!

Aug 15 - 12:28 PM

LowBalls

Django Reinhardt

I am pretty sure Gerard Butler would be good. I bet he's siked to be type-casted.

Aug 13 - 08:26 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Arnold was perfect as Conan. Conan is not charismatic, nor should he talk correctly.

Erin Bana would be terrible; he's too goddamn stoic. Conan is a brute, a BARBARIAN. Let's not forget that.

Aug 13 - 08:33 AM

dewright23

Don Wright

Did you ever read any of the books? He was never described anywhere similar to Arnolds physique. He was tall and muscular, but not that large. While I enjoyed the first Conan, the second was ridiculous, and I never liked Arnold in the role. But a lot of people do, manly those who never read the books.

Aug 13 - 05:28 PM

TheMidwestKid

Clay Woodral

In the original stories, Conan was intelligent, sly and even educated. They're great reads, too. Check out Robert E. Howards work. He created the character and no other writer even comes close. Arnold was okay, but not great.

Aug 16 - 04:38 PM

bigteddyt

Jeremy Thompson

I thought Arnold was ok, and today there really aren't any body-building brutes out there.

Eric Bana would be good, but a bit stoic (and I actually enjoyed Troy).

I think Heath Ledger would be a good Conan. I actaully thought he would be a good He-Man, but I'll say Conan as well.

Aug 13 - 08:44 AM

SociallyVolatile

Mitch Malone

They may have to subvert the franchise to deal with the lack of muscle in today's actors. This wouldn't be the first time, I mean, look at Casino Royale: The new James Bond isn't the suave martini drinking ladies man anymore. Well, he is but he's also a lot darker and rugged. He's almost and anti-hero.

So I think Conan could be done the same. Add or subtract or change something to his character to make it fresh.

I want to say Ron Perlman but he may be too old. One that fits the part well would be Kevin Durand (big Tremor Brother from Smokin' Aces) but I don't know if studios would cast him in such a huge role.

Aug 13 - 08:45 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! Arnold Schwarzenneggar IS Conan the Barbarian! He can NOT and should NOT be replaced!!!

If they do a kind of CGI version i may watch it i guess, but i do not want to see a remake of this classic. I would accept a sequel IF Arnie was in it, even if to pass on the mantle to a Son of Conan? Isnt that what the original rumours were? King Conan. Wasnt he supposed to pass on the mantle to his son (the rock?)

Even there, i dont think the rock would have worked neither. Scorpion king was OK but only OK. It didnt shine with respect like Conan did.

And i do wish people would stop throwing names like Heath Ledger around! OK he is the new Joker, we get the message! That doesnt mean i wanna see him in every role up for grabs.

Think people! Who would make a good son of conan? (Not Heath ledger or Christian Bale before someone says that too.) Show some respect.

Aug 13 - 09:07 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Personally, I would rather see a "King Conan" movie with Arnold back. The first two movies alluded to that story at their conclusions.

But since that film would never happen, I think it's better if we left this character alone. I'd rather rewatch the first movie than see a new film with a watered-down version of a barbarian.

Aug 13 - 09:11 AM

RussRuss467913

Russell Brown

Arnold was terrible. Conan isn't a dumb lug. He is a craft bastard who cut's mffers heads off constantly. They need to find some giant no name with with black hair for the ladies to swoon over, sorta like brandon routh but bigger.

Aug 13 - 09:42 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

For the ladies to swoon over? Get out of this conversation. You have no idea what Conan is about.

Aug 13 - 11:21 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

truebutthead, I'm pretty sure you were replying to me. If not, my apologies.

You don't think the ladies liked looking at Arnold's ripped body? He was hired almost entirely for his looks, not his acting skill.

Dude, you don't know what Hollywood is about.

Aug 13 - 01:37 PM

Eldorado

Eldorado shwankers

For all the wrestling fans... Triple H is Conan.. looks wise is absolutely perfect and even dressed like him as the 'King of Kings' at a wrestlemania or 2 back

He is good on the mic, lets see what he can do on the big screen?

Aug 13 - 09:46 AM

BigTanc

Trevelin Prysock

Eldorado writes:
on Aug 13 2007 09:46 AM

He is good on the mic, lets see what he can do on the big screen

I was just thinking that same thing. He looks like he could be Conan the Second they should give him a shot at it. The lines are short and he is a bruit like Arnold was. No new age hollywood types would even fit the roll for his son or him. Keep it with the big guys. Triple H would be a good look.

Aug 13 - 10:28 AM

LAZARUS007

Stephen Abang

Aug 15 - 12:29 PM

Typhoon20

Tyrone Jackson

The Rock ?

Aug 13 - 09:56 AM

djadeli

Daniel Gutierrez

I think they should cast Rick Moranis as Conan and make it a spoof movie like Spaceballs. I really don't think a movie like Conan should be remade, especially if anybody expects it to be better than the original. Arnold was perfect for the role. So perfect it catapulted his career. I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody now who's career would be helped by it. Then again, I bet I'm putting my foot in my mouth and it's going to be the biggest movie of the year. We'll see.

Aug 13 - 10:00 AM

gmbobbymac

bobby mccormick

maybe i'm crazy but how about the guy from prison break dominick something, or even vin diesel. but if you want someone muscular and speaks bad english like arnie, sly has already made to remakes why not throw him in the mix. at anyrate i dont think the movie will do a lot of business, probably top off at the 40 mill. mark so they would be better off casting a lesser known actor and save on the budget

Aug 13 - 10:04 AM

gmbobbymac

bobby mccormick

Aug 13 - 10:18 AM

BigTanc

Trevelin Prysock

Eldorado writes:
on Aug 13 2007 09:46 AM

He is good on the mic, lets see what he can do on the big screen

Aug 13 - 10:28 AM

BarbarianMonster

Michael Schaefer

Arnold has always been the clear choice, however his days playing a young or even middle aged Conan are long gone. He would make a very good King Conan since his speech and confidence have gotten considerably better. Anyone saying Arnold is a big Lug is full of crappola... Arnold as Conan coming down from Cimmeria venturing into Civilization was perfect. Now... as King, he would also be perfect. I like their movies a lot Bana is too puny and Butler might be able to do it but I'm not convinced. Vin is too short. Maybe the 6'5'' Vladimir Kulich ( http://www.slayage.com/news/images/vladimirkulichpic.jpg) who played Bulyvai in 13th Warrior, though he'd have to tighten up the muscles. Conan is supposed to stick out in a crowd... must be very imposing. I'm hoping they find some unknown that doesn't make us think of any other character other than Robert E. Howard and the character he created. The script is going to be the key.

Aug 13 - 10:42 AM

Callpacas

Khim Lo

Please cast a relatively unknown actor, and plead of you not to do it in a green screen stylized (300) manner. Real gore. real extras, real scenery real props and real sets please.

Aug 13 - 11:05 AM

Barry_WC

Barry Clevenger

I agree that Arnold was born to play Conan. To me there could not have been a better choice. If the new movie is done like 300 and an unknown is cast as Conan I think it could work.

Aug 13 - 11:05 AM

nihilisteyes

Ron Diaz

Conan almost never spoke in his native tounge (Cimmerian) since he was always in other various countries of the Hyborean world, so he would have an accent.

Aug 13 - 11:14 AM

ClericPreston

N G

I like the Arnold as king idea. Triple H grew on me as I thought about it more. A random unknown huge guy who could be decent for it (I doubt he can actually act though) is Nathan Jones of The Protector and Troy (Huge guy Brad Pitt killed with no trouble at the beginning). http://imdb.com/name/nm0428923/.

Aug 13 - 11:15 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Brad Pitt might make a good Conan. I liked him in Troy and Fight Club, and I think he's awesome in fight scenes. He might have a hard time slowing down his speech, though...

Aug 13 - 11:17 AM

LAZARUS007

Stephen Abang

Aug 15 - 12:30 PM

LAZARUS007

Stephen Abang

Aug 15 - 12:30 PM

LAZARUS007

Stephen Abang

He was horrible in blade trinity; NEXT!!!

Aug 15 - 12:32 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer