Weekly Ketchup: Arnold Schwarzenegger to Reprise Role as Conan

Summary

This week's Ketchup covers a week packed nearly to the full ten stories with high profile affairs that are much more typical of the blockbuster days of Summer than pre-Halloween Autumn. Included in the mix are news stories about Arnold Schwarzengger's return to Conan the Barbarian, James Bond movies #24 and #25, and three different Marvel superhero movies (The Wolverine, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier). James Cameron, Johnny Depp, Jeremy Renner, and Adam Sandler get name checked in this article too. Back to Article

Comments

Chase Tinnell

Chase Tinnell

I honestly thought Tom Cruise was in talks for Bond, you may want to take that picture down

Oct 26 - 06:18 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Was a bug, fixed now !

Oct 26 - 06:30 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Was a bug, fixed now !

Oct 26 - 06:30 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Animal Farm is in the wrong category. That or anything Sandler comes up with makes it look like that.
So James Cameron is leaving his comfort zone, good to know...to bad Arnold isn't XD

Oct 26 - 06:47 PM

LeVar Marklar

LeVar Marklar

A family friendly, apolitical "Animal Farm" is just a generic talking animals farm movie.

Oct 27 - 05:45 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah this just seems like a basic dream works script (I don't fit in with all this Communism, why don't I fit in! It's important to fit in...oh wait it's important to be your self! THE END!)

Oct 27 - 11:35 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

But I'm sure whatever Adam Sandler whips out will be more Blazzing Saddles and less Wild Wild West, amiright?

Oct 27 - 04:13 PM

Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris

Agreed. Animal Farm is a DARK BOOK. Full of betrayal and deception and murder and whatnot. Trying to make a happy version would be like trying to make a happy Watership Down. Bleh.

Oct 28 - 06:59 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Bt they kind of did, at least with the TV show.

Oct 29 - 07:43 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

#1 There will come a time when nothing about Adam Sandler ever gets mentioned, and the world will instantly become a better place for it.

Oct 26 - 06:58 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

00 - That is awesome, I'm not even gonna lie. Who doesn't wanna see a 70-ish, barely-walking Conan?

01 - Yeah, keep 'em coming! Skyfall is, by all accounts, really good, so as long as the quality keeps up, I'll keep watching them. Hopefully Quantum was a fluke.

02 - Uh huh... WHERETHEFUCKISBATTLEANGEL

03 - Eh, dunno. These sappy, melodramatic family plots do nothing for me. Good actors, shame to see them wasted on such a shitty concept.

04 - I always get a little apprehensive when reading "directorial debut of [insert other job in film-making that is not directing]." I can picture it now: a gorgeously-shot film with a horrid, malformed Frankenstein* of a story that is tonally jarring and under-written/over-explained.

*Yes, I know Frankenstein was the doctor.

05 - Great actor, interesting topic. Sugar Ray was a phenomenal fighter, it will be interesting to see how Oyelowo handles the movement and technique he will need to display on camera.

06 - I wonder if the route they take is more Jetsons/2001 or Alien? Either way, this is definitely one to keep an eye out for. An alternate reality sci-fi sounds promising. Too bad Liv Tyler is in it, she has the screen presence of a potato sack.

07 - Oh, no. I missed that news. I thought Wolverine was gonna be stand-alone. Being associated with Last Stand cannot be good for the screenplay. That Singer is possibly gonna do 2nd Class is sweet, he's probably kicking himself for choosing Superman over XMen 3, thereby dooming both projects to failure. And seriously, fuck Brett Ratner.

08 - Yeah, that's... weird. Why even spend money on the license then, if you're not making Animal Farm?

09 - I'm not even reading that story. Adam Sandler can kiss my ass.

Oct 26 - 07:18 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

---Watcher I JUST KNOW you're a Mitt Romney supporter if you are even eligible to vote in this country. Let me set you straight on one issue:
FREAKING CONAN IS ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER!!!!! There can be no other . . . just as FRANCO NERO IS DJANGO . . . you can have a hundred Django-movies with 4 different actors (including Terrance Hill [Mario Griotti]) yet have only one actor capable of fulfilling the requirements of the role. Another for-instance: Sean Connery IS James Bond more-so than Timothy Dalton.

Oct 27 - 09:59 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Uh.. if I was a republican I'd support Arnold. Because, you know... he IS a republican, and was the republican governor for Cali. I refuse to accept that you didn't know that... and if you didn't, then jesus christ, read a book or something.

Oct 27 - 08:06 PM

CyborgUnicorn

Cyborg Unicorn

I have slightly mixed feelings about Conan. As the Watcher said, who doesn't want to see a 70-ish Conan barely walking? I sort of don't... Last Stand looks dumb, the Tomb sounds interesting but I'll wait for a trailer. A sequel to True Lies would be great, that movie still holds up today.

As for Wolverine being a sequel to X3 not a prequel, I suppose that makes sense. It would be a good time for his character to be bummed out.

Oct 26 - 09:07 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Arnold Swartzenegger resprising the Conan role = soggy nipples!

Oct 30 - 11:48 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

The Conan news actually has me interested. The potential is definitely there, and I am sure Ahnuld can still hold the screen like he did back in the day, so it will really come down to writer, director, and whether or not the studio is going to tone this down for modern audiences or go for broke with a hard-R Conan. I am betting on a PG-13 rating due to Lionsgate's Conan flick bombing massively, though.

I do not want Craig to be doing Bond films for another decade, but this two movie idea sounds pretty cool, and the screenwriter sure as hell has a lot of great projects on his resume. As long as we get two full fledged Bond films, and not a first entry that is great, with a half baked sequel, or vice versa, it has a lot of potential.

As long as Cameron gets around to making Battle Angel before he dies, I will be happy.

Oct 26 - 09:09 PM

This comment has been removed.

Logan L.

Logan Locke

Someone needs their medication. How about Vicadin?

Oct 27 - 03:43 PM

Total  S.

Total Stranger

Arnold back as Conan has SO MUCH potential. Perhaps Arnold is soft at 65 but you damn well know that 65 year old Conan is still formidable. I always imagined him in a massive castle with more gold and servants then he knows what to do with, like 5 wives he'd loved and lost since we've last seen him, and now he's just bored as shit. He hears about some sort of trouble at the edge of his kingdom, grabs his sword and walks out to find a good death...Crom.

And Jason Mamoa's Conan was trash. The sequence in the woods with young Conan was pretty dominant though. After young Conan dropped those heads at his dads feet and spit the bird egg out, it should have just faded to black and ended. It could have been called Young Conan and the Robins Egg. That part was so awesome. It almost felt like it was written by someone else who knew what they were doing, then they got up from the typewriter and someone dumber sat down to finish the script.

"Uh, then Conan grows up and fights creatures made of sand that are exactly like what Brendan Fraser fought in the Mummy Returns back 12 years ago." Brilliant.

Oct 29 - 07:26 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Arnold Schwarzenegger being Conan is the only interesting news this week. Anything with Adam Sandler is now rotten news; after watching Grown ups, You don't mess with the Zohan, & the trailer to Jack & Jill, I finally realize why pretty much everyone on the Internet hates him.

Oct 26 - 09:09 PM

Cal Doritosaurus

Cal Doritosaurus

I wouldn't call #2 a Rotten idea.

Oct 26 - 10:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Animal Farm" divorced of its Cold War, Soviet-specific allusions is STILL a phenomenal and compelling allegory on the temptation and corruptions of power. The only problem with the "family" focus is wondering how it pass the focus groups without a happy ending. But it's still a timeless, essential lesson for older children to understand.

I've been hoping for King Conan since the original. It should go witout saying that I hope they retain more of the Milius script than rely on the guy who wrote some of the lesser "Fast and Furious" films. My biggest fear is that Arnold will mug and add terrible jokes into the script.

Bryan Singer is miles ahead of Matthew Vaughn in terms of talent. So that's good news. Mangold is more faceless but competant. And I'm not happy to hear "The Wolverine" is deviating from its original source (for no apparent reason).

"Trancendence" might be OK, and it seems to be attracting a talented cast. And let's be honest, the cinematography in "Avengers" sure wasn't brilliant exactly. "Imagine" sounds stupid. For many nostalgic shmucks, the song is no deeper than an emotional cue. The song is a refutation of patriarchal institutions, from nations to religiin, so why would it be an appropriate ode to a father-son bond? Because Lennon has become an empty nostalgic brand name, as traditional to Boomers as any other heirloom or dogma. (Like Super 8, nostalgia for the sci-fi 70s among Xers is also endemic, with Spielberg-Lucas stepping in for Lennon-McCartney) And I'm a Lennon fan, but I also tend to listen to him in more than pop soundbites.

Too bad about Oyewole. He really looks a lot more like Sugar Ray Leonard. JB Smoove could play Marvin Hagler. There's a movie!

Oct 27 - 12:37 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

*Oyelowo. Rather than ponder just how many young black actors are immigrants, I'll add a suggestion for the casting of James Bond: Isaach De Bankole. He's the Daniel Craig of immigrant black actors.

Oct 27 - 12:50 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

There is no Milius script... Although this is a movie about King Conan, it's not his King Conan: Crown of Iron. Too different approaches to the same concept.

Oct 27 - 04:25 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Ah. I was confused by the "except for the Milius part" to mean that "part" was his original script, or at least some structural elements from it. Wishful assumption on my part.

Oct 28 - 10:01 PM

Oct 27 - 04:13 PM

Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris

Oct 28 - 06:59 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Bt they kind of did, at least with the TV show.

Oct 29 - 07:43 PM

Chris Mackowiak

Chris Mackowiak

Whos funding these terrible Adam Sandler movies?? Please stop!! If you love just giving $ away send it to me

Oct 27 - 07:10 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Sony, and they fund his terrible movies because they make money. It's sad

Oct 27 - 01:49 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Sandler produces his own movies, it's the only reason they still get made. The baffling part is that people (if they can be called that with an IQ of 10) still go see them.

Oct 28 - 05:57 AM

Dave J

Dave J

I think the real question is whose paying to see Adam Sandler's films because "Hotel Transly..." is making a killing at the boxoffice adding 262 more screenings, and is performing better than the much positive reviewed "Frankenweenie"!

Oct 29 - 01:37 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Haven't seen Hotel Transylvania, but Frankenweenie was un-good.

Oct 31 - 04:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Conan the Hemorrhoidian

Oct 28 - 10:03 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Not really sure about The Legend of Conan. Conan the Barbarian was a classic piece of 80s fantasy, so it's going to be tough capturing that cheezy charm of the original and not ending up with something bland like what we got last year. Also, how many movies has Arnold announced being interested in over the past few months? This could be yet another development that we never hear from again.

I'm really excited about Skyfall, especially with early word of mouth being so fantastic and I'm interested in this plan of making #24 and #25 a two film story arc. Yeah, I know that's been tried before with Quatum of Solace, but then again plotwise that film had very little to do with Casino Royale. Also, as has been pointed out before that is one impressive resume for screenwriter John Logan.

Okay, I've loved everything James Cameron has directed so far (that flying fish movie doesn't count) but common when are you going to get to doing Battle Angel? If he does proceed with The Informationist, then hopefully it's just a one-off film he does in-between his big budget science fiction epics.

Of course they're gonig to compare Transcendence to Inception and 2001 and not the Tron films. As you pointed out in you last article, when are films in development ever compared to films that weren't critically acclaimed and/or massive box office hits? As for Transcendence, as with all directorial debuts I'm taking a wait and see approach. Being a great cinematographer doesn't mean you'll be a great director (remember when they got an oscar winning visual effects guy to do Eragon? Yeah that turned out great).

Out of the three Marvel movie news anouncements this week, Days of Future Past is easily my most anticipated. I'm probably in the minority, but I really liked Superman Returns, so I'm not bummed about Bryan Singer replacing Matthew Vaughn. The first Captain America was no Iron Man or Avengers but still a solid superhero movie and hopefully Winter Soldier follows the trend of superior superhero sequels, while The Wolverine is the one I'm most catious about. I mean if you're going to set it after First Class, why not just bring together the other X-men from the first three movies and call it an X-men movie rather than The Wolverine. Also, the director has been a little too hit and miss.

Oct 27 - 07:35 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

"The Wolverine will be predominantly set at some point after all the previous movies, including X-Men: The Last Stand, and the deaths of three of the major characters". It is probably more of a conclusion to the original trilogy, which makes more sense why Wolverine is the headliner of the film.

Oct 27 - 08:51 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Is it just me or was Wolverine the Headliner of All the X-men Films? (First Class excluded)

Oct 27 - 11:36 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Oct 27 - 08:51 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oct 27 - 11:36 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Oct 27 - 09:59 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Oct 27 - 08:06 PM

This comment has been removed.

Logan L.

Logan Locke

Someone needs their medication. How about Vicadin?

Oct 27 - 03:43 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oct 27 - 11:35 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oct 27 - 11:36 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships