Critic Review - Washington Post

Momoa ... speaks in one of those trying-too-hard baritones heard in young jocks whose greatest fear is being called gay.

August 19, 2011 Full Review Source: Washington Post | Comments (29)
Washington Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Theartistformerlyknownas Michael

Theartistformerlyknownas Michael

Nigga, u gay

Aug 19 - 05:22 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

and u ignant, and u stoopit

Aug 19 - 06:21 AM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

How to offend the most with the least

Aug 19 - 09:26 AM

Necro

jose pena

Yes, John you are so right. Many of these boy/men "actors" today who are miscast a lot of the times put on this voice like Jensen Ackles of crappy Supernatural and Shane West in Nikita.

Aug 19 - 05:59 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

You were doing fine until you started ragging on Jensen. That's his natural voice, don't be jealous, and that "crappy" Supernatural show (so crappy it has six seasons under its belt, hmmm) lets the naturally talented Mr. Ankles show off his acting depth each and every week. Maybe learn English before you choose to post on an American site.

Aug 30 - 05:44 PM

Kyle Maxwell

Kyle Maxwell

First of all, w@velength has clearly NEVER seen anything else Jensen Ackles has ever stared in, because otherwise he/she/it would know that it's NOT his "normal" voice. Try watching Batman: Under the Red Hood. Try picking out which character is voiced by JA. You'll never figure it out without cheating, because he's using his regular voice.

Second of all, a lot of crappy series have gone six seasons or more. "Charmed" went 8 seasons, as I recall.

Sep 2 - 01:41 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Wow, and what is your INSIGHTFUL reasoning that Jensen is using his NORMAL voice in Under the Red Hood and not actually faking it? That's right, you have none, you're just phoning it in like Jensen probably did for a silly cartoon paycheck. Maybe watch an interview sometime and come back to the big kids table. But thank you for proving my point that the quality of a television show is completely subjective (except when it comes to Supernatural; that show is just plain awesome.)

Sep 2 - 02:03 PM

David Stevenson

David Stevenson

Haha, that is so funny. I know excatly what Defore is saying.

Aug 19 - 08:15 AM

I Hate Teens in 3D

Lionel Cant

finally someone points it out...

Aug 19 - 12:11 PM

Mo G

Mo G

I have to say- Jason is an amazing person, lives a simple life on five acres, and I have never seen an actor work harder for a role and I have some purdy big credits. Its Conan for gosh sakes...Its a action fun ride and Jason looked Great. Oh - He also has a lot of gay friends.

Aug 19 - 02:36 PM

James Lassen

James Lassen

interesting...

Aug 28 - 02:45 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

That's pretty pathetic overall.

Aug 30 - 05:38 PM

RexLaboro

george glass

LMAO! Yea, momoa does sound pretty lame. I will never see this movie even for free.

Aug 20 - 12:03 AM

Warren Galloway

Warren Galloway

I played God of War on PS2 and PS3 and LOVED it. this movie on the BIG HUGE screen just empowers 'the feeling' even more. I LOVED it.

Aug 20 - 10:13 AM

Spidershrimp

J. L.

You're not doing the movie any favors by comparing it to a video game. A bad video game at that.

Aug 20 - 07:18 PM

mike w.

mike wolpoff

lol God of War is one of the best games ever made sooo

Aug 21 - 11:20 AM

Spidershrimp

J. L.

I suppose if one were to lower his expectations, you might be right.

Aug 21 - 08:17 PM

Enoch C.

Enoch Ching

it's a bad game? oh, you're opinion's suddenly written in stone in video gaming facts?

Aug 21 - 10:26 PM

Spidershrimp

J. L.

Is my opinion written in stone? Yes. Is my opinion just an opinion? Obviously, dipshit.

Aug 23 - 12:56 PM

Enoch C.

Enoch Ching

oh, i see. your edgy avatar should have tipped me off to your tryhard approach to life. next time an elitist nerd with some anime character's screen name calls me a dipshit i'll make sure to get his address down.

so what firearms do you own again?

Aug 23 - 11:24 PM

Spidershrimp

J. L.

You're obviously deeply retarded. Anime character screen name? What the fuck are you talking about?

Aug 25 - 09:12 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Don't mind Enoch, it's that time of the month for Dark Knight fanboys.

Aug 30 - 05:45 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

God of War is a pretty awesome game series, but it has nothing to do with Conan.

Nov 26 - 06:30 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Go play with your pokemons you dimwitted underachiever!!! This movie was great and God of War was great!! End of story.

Sep 24 - 08:59 PM

Jonatan Rintakoski Kjellman

Jonatan Rintakoski Kjellman

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Aug 22 - 09:21 PM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Idiot...soooo since I obviously haven't done my homework and researchd Momoa's "real" voice I'll bow to your wisdom and assume he really is changing it for the role...SO WHAT???? Isn't that part of acting?

Oh and the line should read "young jocks whose greatest fear is BEING gay" Who cares if some moron calls you gay, its being gay which should cause you to pull out the shotgun...

Oct 6 - 09:45 AM

Christofer Aiken

Christofer Aiken

he just doesn't have what it takes to play a barbarian, he's never seen the original-how lame is that? If that's the idea of the new generation of Conan, the girly men can keep it.

Dec 14 - 10:20 PM

Koop F.

Koop Fitisemanu

yep ... the point is I only agree that Momoa is not the barbarian described by R.E.Howard. Neither was Arnold waassissname. To do that, you need a movie maker who knows Howard. Not a director who is trying not to be an understudy to Chris Nolan.

Jun 22 - 05:22 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Just to state the facts, IT was his ACTUAL voice in the movie as it is in real life. He always had a deep voice. Stop being an homophobe, get your facts straight and review the movie for what it is... You're such an idiot!!

Sep 24 - 08:56 PM