97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber Reviews

ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

February 26, 2013
I have been a huge fan of Ghost Whisperer and then saw alot of Hewitt Movie, but this was a very interesting Performance. Rude, Mean, Lier, etc, just to climb up in high society. A nice mix, with a little romance.
Leigh R

December 5, 2006
Kinda funny.
Janice :

January 5, 2008
HORRIBLE!
June 30, 2011
OMG Jennifer Love Hewitt & Joey Lawrence in the same movie, ...LOL too cute. (can she guest star on Melissa & joey!?!?) Joey plays her gay best friend 'Fergie' (Ferguson) who always shows up to the clubs/bars not quite dressed to the theme of the place. She's always telling him to just be himself....(she needs to follow her own advice) Jen plays Katya Livingston a cutthroat advertising exec. She's willing to do anything to climb to the top.She's so good that even when she's not pitching she still gets the deal done!~ The big event of the movie is the 'Royal Ball' given by a rival that she is trying to get the invitation to. One day she bumps into her dream guy meanwhile her friend keeps trying to hook her up with her Lawyer. They're quite handsome and even share a few things in common. However due to her social climbing personality, she may have lost the one thing that matters most. I enjoyed the movie, esp. 2 of my fave actors (esp. Joey since he's only a year or so older Its like he lived next door) It was a fun & cute comedy Tho' I don't think it merits better than a C+ but maybe close to a lowercase b...
musicofthenightangel
June 12, 2010
Really wasn't a good movie, but it kept my attention most of the time. I liked the character of Katya, although she is an extremely unlikable person.
August 4, 2009
Jennifer Love Hewitt is hot and it is displayed well in this movie. Many different outfits and undergarments. Joey Lawrence is a gay dude, so that's pretty funny. Not too bad, but I see why no one ever heard of it...
jamilyn0276
July 22, 2009
This was the story of a snotty social climber, who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted. In this case Cinderella wanted a royal ball with Thor the love God.
Bet you can't guess how this one ends....
Jennifer Love Hewitt looked fabulous as always, but much like any episode of Ghost Whisperer her acting left something to be desired. Luckily, her breasts were very prominent in this film. Oh you noticed I can't act, here look at these...Even I have to admit, they are a good distraction.
Joey Lawrence was some what amusing as her gay escort best friend. Other than that, the cast was abysmal.
We have all seen this story before, nothing new or original. Sort of cutesy but mostly boring. At best this movie is a mediocre cure for boredom.
As a bonus, the only special features on the DVD are pictures of Jennifer Love Hewitt. I did find that kind of comical in a totally vainglorious way.
nusuhill
May 22, 2007
Set in San Francisco. A bitchy, materialistic and divalicious Katya Livingston grows to find a true love in this hot guy Charles after she bumps into him at the elevator. After going through some serious turmoils, Katya confesses her wrongdoings to the public at the annual ball. This scene is quite moving, but the MOST MOVING SCENE was saved till the end, where Charles shares his BIGGEST SECRET (he uses fake tan) with Katya. The movie ends with the narration style as seen on the Mastercard commercial.
March 16, 2007
Not gonna lie, only one reason I saw this-JLH. She is just so cute & funny. It was a pretty good movie though-really.
jokzsukazz
January 20, 2007
Haha. She does everything in her power to get this key which is an invitation to some party and 'anyone whos anyone' will be there
Marter
January 31, 2012
I know that you don't have to make your lead character in a movie completely loveable, but making them interesting is generally a must, especially if you're going to include them in every single shot you take. In the case of Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber, we don't get an interesting protagonist, and as a result, the film isn't enjoyable. Well, it's also that way because it's a standard, clichéd romantic comedy, but that almost comes with the territory.

The film stars Jennifer Love Hewitt as Katya Livingston. She works in advertising, although the amount of work she accomplishes is debatable. Apparently she's quite good at her job, as she is always claiming so while nobody says anything to the contrary. However, we only see her take long breaks, talk on the phone about personal business, and kill her boss' pets. That's a running gag in the film, although it's a sadistic one if you ask me. She ends up getting an assistant at one point, but apart from a late game decision, he's more or less a pointless character. Then again, her boss and friends also fit into the category.

The only other person that matters is a man we don't actually get to properly meet until nearly the end of the film. His name ends up being Charles (Colin Ferguson), although he also goes by the name "Chuck." Remember that, as it's quite important (no, it's not actually, although if you want to be "in" on one of the gags before the film tells you, it'll serve you well). She first sees him walking into the building that her office is in, before envisioning him walking up and kissing her. Of course, that doesn't happen. But this vision makes her decide that trying to win his affection would be in her best interest, even if she doesn't make much of an effort over the course of the film.

There's also a major party coming up. You need a golden key in order to get into the party, and those keys (it seems everyone but Ms. Livingston has one) act as our MacGuffins. She isn't invited, but is determined to get one. Most of her actions over the course of the film are driven to either get a key or win the heart of Charles, although which one is more important isn't made particularly clear.

At the end, we end up getting a slapdash romantic comedy. It doesn't seem that way throughout; for most of the film, we just watch Katya go about her daily life while trying to procure a key for herself. And then at the end, well, I'm sure you can guess what happens. Picture a generic romantic comedy, and you've probably figured out how Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber. If you want a hint, just look at the title.

There are a few reasons why this isn't a good film. The first is that it doesn't stay true to itself. If it wanted to go the romantic comedy way -- and I generally don't particularly mind the formula rom-com -- then it needed to do that the entire time. Let us get to know the love interest before two-thirds of the film are over. Show us that the lead character has some sort of inkling to change herself. Actually allow for the romance to be built so that if/when it falls apart, it'll matter. We don't get any of this, so the attempt at the end to turn the film into a romantic comedy falls flat, especially because it relies on genre clichés.

The second reason is one that I mentioned earlier: The main character. She's a one-note character whose sole characteristic is that she's self-centered. That's as deep as she gets, save for one turn that happens late in the film that you will expect and won't surprise you at all. That turn also comes out of nowhere, which is why I stated earlier that having hints regarding how she's feeling about herself would have improved the film. Unfortunately, none of that happens, and were are left with a character that doesn't make sense despite being incredibly simplistic.

Finally, it simply isn't funny. I think that I might have laughed once, although that might have been a pity laugh -- I'm not sure. I can't remember any of the jokes or lines throughout, and I sat there most of the time just having a lousy time. It's entirely possible that other people will find this film funny, and if that's the case, they might have a good time. I just didn't see the humor in this one, leading to an unenjoyable experience.

Is there anything to like here? In short: No. I can't think of a single moment when I enjoyed watching this film. I guess having the camera always focused on Jennifer Love Hewitt is a good idea, despite her not being a particularly good actress. (Just look at the roles she picks; how can we really know if she can act?) Anyway, the opening title sequence has her bouncing around in her underwear for a couple of minutes, which comes close to being something I could call a highlight.

Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber is a mess. It doesn't stick to a genre, which makes the ending come out of nowhere, it doesn't allow any development for its characters, and it isn't funny. When the opening title scene is the best part of the film, you know you're not in for a good time. If you've heard of this movie, and you were curious about it, stay far away. If you hadn't heard about it, forget I said anything and continue your ignorance -- it'll be better for you than wasting 90 minutes with this eyesore.
June 27, 2011
Actually i think people should be framed for making movies like this one.
peter h.
March 19, 2011
THE SOCIAL CLIMBER /CONFESSIONS OF A SOCIOPATHIC SOCIAL CLIMBER [2005] Jennifer Love Hewitt stars as self centred 28-year-old ad sales exec stops at nothing to climb her way to the top of the San Francisco social ladder. It's a predictable and dull film which is just a giant cliché of a film; my rating is a measly 50%.
Rye
November 8, 2010
Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber (2005) was quite entertaining though would've been better without the cheesy OTT romance 3.5/5
nixon k.
November 22, 2009
Yo can't complain too much about this movie because it was direct to dvd so what do you expect? Jennifer Love Hewitt is real eye candy in this movie and that's its only real drawing card. Badly done and just plain boring honesty.
Wissmongler
August 30, 2009
This is my favorite Jennifer Love Hewitt film not because its good but it shows off her sexiness in a variety of outfits.

Thus entertained. Besides....the bunny scene where Jlove wears this cute bunny outfit often gets me a boner.
Aeon
September 26, 2007
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]A few comedies I've seen in the past few months, but never bothered to post about. Mostly because they weren't good & very forgetable. But you can't have a well rounded film journal without including the bad with the good...[/font][/b]

[b]My Super Ex-Girlfriend - I don't know what Uma Thurman's been doing since this bomb. If this wasn't a career killing role, it sure seemed a poor choice at least.[/b]

[b]Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber - Again the talents of a fairly decent (?) actress are wasted. Jennifer Love Hewitt...what was she thinking?[/b]

[b]You, Me and Dupree - Another comedy that I didn't find so much funny as just a waste of time.[/b]

:rotten: :rotten: :rotten: :rotten: :rotten: :rotten:
jazza923
February 16, 2006
What an obnoxious piece of tripe. Jennifer Love Hewitt is stooping real low here. Well, not as low as her portrayal of Audrey Hepburn...

It reeks TV. Utter garbage.