Congo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Congo Reviews

February 6, 2010
curious to see if it's as bad as people say
October 23, 2015
Original and entertaining film based on Micheal Crichton's novel.
October 8, 2015
I'm guessing this shitslopper was made solely because of the success of "Jurassic Park." Hollywood probably thought Michael Crichton books could do no wrong. Sadly, they were mistaken as this movie is laughable on so many levels. It sucked in 1995 and it still sucks 20 years later. Just an awful movie. The book was good though so I'd still recommend that.
September 12, 2015
There is something weird, screwed up and interesting about this film -
it's mainly because it's the style of film that can't be made any more-
a massive blockbuster film with huge sets, but without CGI, with overtones of rascism and bizarre stunts, including an entire species of gorilla being violently made extinct with a giant ad-hoc laser rifle - by the main characters. It's preposterous in all the right ways, although by the end you're truly wondering what exactly the point was. I guess, don't like diamonds? Or mess with Susan Sarandan? Perhaps.
½ August 10, 2015
I'm only half way done the book and Michael Crichton makes the gorilla's more realistic than the costumes do in this film
½ March 23, 2014
When Ash is killed searching for diamonds in central Africa, Mitchell sends a small retrieval team (which includes the black Ghostbuster and Pennywise/Lord of Darkness) to locate the diamonds. They piggyback on a scientific expedition (which includes a talking monkey voiced by Fred Jones) heading into the land of heat, volcanoes, racist cannibal natives, war, corruption, desperation, and superstition. This movie was unintentionally hilarious with its deliberate political correctness and over-sentimentality.
June 8, 2015
Laden with too much action and too little of the actual things that make Crichton scripts interesting, Congo is watchable albeit just barely.
May 22, 2015
Not sure what the fuzz was all about at that time.
May 10, 2015
a good plot, and quite suspenseful, but seeing Tim Curry attempting a language was laughable
½ March 7, 2012
I always sort of liked this movie. But watching it now I realise the best thing about it is the musical score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. There's better special effects in a made for SyFy movie. To give an illusion an earthquake is happening they seem to just shake the camera.
½ April 23, 2015
The action doesn't work which makes it in perfect lockstep with a crappy script.
February 22, 2015
I just rewatched this and I'll admit, it was A LOT cheesier than I remembered, but it was still exciting and also made me laugh. I recommend.
½ November 19, 2007
Congo set itself out to be a blockbuster with a big plot, a huge jungle setting and ferocious killer gorillas. It achieved some good things but feel short in what you could tell the director wanted to really hit. The story took a long time to really get going and it had lots of filler that wasn't really necessary. The good gorilla that could communicate with humans was fun and humorous and made for a nice, soft touch to the character pool. Once the killer apes were found, they turned out to not be as bad as advertised and were not scary or threatening at all. Some of the acting was pretty bad but luckily you could look past it and focus on other things. All in all Congo had some good moments but it just seemed like it could have been so much more then it was.
November 1, 2014
A cornball good time and Tim Curry is in it.
October 27, 2014
The search for King Solomon's Mines, a sign-language-fluent gorilla, and Laura Linney saving the day with a laser gun. Just don't see it.
½ September 7, 2014
I liked this adventure film based on a Michael Crichton novel. There is plenty to gripe about - especially the poorly done apes - but the story is gripping and sentimental, the acting is decent (though the dialogue is unnatural in places), and the innocently gorgeous Laura Linney takes a lead role. You could do much worse than this.
½ September 6, 2014
bad and fun to laugh at
½ September 3, 2014
A painful adaptation of a decent Michael Crichton novel.
½ August 10, 2014
This movie will always be compared (fairly or unfairly) to Jurassic Park, and of course, in that respect it comes up way short. But it's important to remember that these are different films, with Congo trying to strike a slightly lighter tone. Of course, at points it crosses the line and comes off as a bit silly, but the movie can be fun at times, and some of the characters are interesting. Especially Winston Zeddemore...I mean Ernie Hudson.
½ July 10, 2014
Michael Crichton's techno-thriller Congo leaps off of the page and onto the big screen in this fun adventure film. In order to get into the Congo and search for a lost expedition team, a telecom security agent joins a group that's releasing a gorilla into the wild. The film has a rather interesting cast that includes Laura Linney, Ernie Hudson, Tim Curry, and Bruce Campbell. Also, the ape performers are pretty good; the ones who do Amy especially, as they make her feel like a real character. Additionally, the action scenes add a lot of energy and excitement to the film. Congo may be one of Crichton's lessor works, but it's still an entertaining ride.