Congo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Congo Reviews

½ July 22, 2007
A remake of the original King Kong, which was a standard adventure tale until the big fellow was introduced. It's the same here, an adventure tale, a safari into darkest Africa (with Hudson's head of the safari quite good actually). Only by now its all been done before so you know what's coming an hour before it arrives. They leave out the lust in the jungle angle, I don't know why.
December 20, 2009
Michael Crichton is probably not happy that his thriller book converted into an intentionally humorous playful action movie. This movie has its own campy charm and when taken for what it is can be good fun. It helps that the director and cast do not approach it too seriously. Tim Curry and Joe Don Baker in particular, have just the right amount of crazy cartoon character in them. The settings of the African jungle and ancient ruined city of Zinge look great. Making a gorilla interact in human ways and using sign language is not easy. Simple sign language would be better than the special computer gloves that convert and translate in robot voice for everyone to understand. The makeup and costume team did a decent job of making an actor seem apelike enough without becoming a distraction. It is not a highly crafted movie, but it knows what it is. I do not understand why the jungle romp replaces the excitement and violence of the Crichton story. It would be nice to see a more serious and faithful adaptation of the book in the future. As long as you do not enter this movie looking for a realistic or suspenseful thriller, it should entertain.
January 30, 2016
I have no idea why this movie got bad reviews, this movie was awesome! š???
December 29, 2015
Bom filme, mas muda o ritmo. seria melhor seguir o ritmo terror do final e sem a macaca falante. Bruce Campbell deveria ter tido um papel maior
February 6, 2010
curious to see if it's as bad as people say
October 23, 2015
Original and entertaining film based on Micheal Crichton's novel.
October 8, 2015
I'm guessing this shitslopper was made solely because of the success of "Jurassic Park." Hollywood probably thought Michael Crichton books could do no wrong. Sadly, they were mistaken as this movie is laughable on so many levels. It sucked in 1995 and it still sucks 20 years later. Just an awful movie. The book was good though so I'd still recommend that.
½ September 13, 2015
Holds up well scary and a fun adventure
September 12, 2015
There is something weird, screwed up and interesting about this film -
it's mainly because it's the style of film that can't be made any more-
a massive blockbuster film with huge sets, but without CGI, with overtones of rascism and bizarre stunts, including an entire species of gorilla being violently made extinct with a giant ad-hoc laser rifle - by the main characters. It's preposterous in all the right ways, although by the end you're truly wondering what exactly the point was. I guess, don't like diamonds? Or mess with Susan Sarandan? Perhaps.
April 18, 2014
Awesome movie! Definitely one of my all time favorite childhood movies and still is to this day!
January 12, 2008
Wowza. If you like corny, Congo is for you. Hudson is fun enough, but this film is a tough sit. Congo is slow, cheesy and escalates to one of the goofiest third acts I have ever seen. Only watch this film ironically, I beg you.
½ August 10, 2015
I'm only half way done the book and Michael Crichton makes the gorilla's more realistic than the costumes do in this film
½ March 23, 2014
When Ash is killed searching for diamonds in central Africa, Mitchell sends a small retrieval team (which includes the black Ghostbuster and Pennywise/Lord of Darkness) to locate the diamonds. They piggyback on a scientific expedition (which includes a talking monkey voiced by Fred Jones) heading into the land of heat, volcanoes, racist cannibal natives, war, corruption, desperation, and superstition. This movie was unintentionally hilarious with its deliberate political correctness and over-sentimentality.
June 14, 2015
It has it's charms. It has some great dry albeit awkward humour. For the most part it's clumsily written with half assed performances and bad gorilla costumes.
June 8, 2015
Laden with too much action and too little of the actual things that make Crichton scripts interesting, Congo is watchable albeit just barely.
May 22, 2015
Not sure what the fuzz was all about at that time.
May 10, 2015
a good plot, and quite suspenseful, but seeing Tim Curry attempting a language was laughable
½ March 7, 2012
I always sort of liked this movie. But watching it now I realise the best thing about it is the musical score by the late Jerry Goldsmith. There's better special effects in a made for SyFy movie. To give an illusion an earthquake is happening they seem to just shake the camera.
½ April 23, 2015
The action doesn't work which makes it in perfect lockstep with a crappy script.
February 22, 2015
I just rewatched this and I'll admit, it was A LOT cheesier than I remembered, but it was still exciting and also made me laugh. I recommend.