Connie and Carla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Connie and Carla Reviews

½ August 1, 2007
Hi-freakin-larious! And who doesn't love a cameo appearance by Debbie Reynolds?
June 18, 2007
Borrowing liberally from Sister Act, Victor/Victoria, Some Like It Hot and Thelma & Louise amongst others, Connie And Carla was a lot better, in my opinion of course, than the extremely bad press it got in the UK suggested. Two friends trying to make it big, but failing, with their cabaret act (they play to a disinterested crowd of jet-lagged individuals at airport lounges), witness a murder, and are discovered doing so, by members of a local mob. Fearing for their lives, they flee to Los Angeles where they find success with their act by posing as drag queens (which makes them women posing as men dressed as women) at a dwindling gay bar. Inevitably, one of their pair becomes romantically interested in a straight guy, and with their act becoming more successful they risk having their secrets found out and the mob catching up with them. Things start to fall apart a bit around the time of the cameo appearance of a certain someone (whose shtick was served much better in smaller doses in episodes of Will & Grace), and it seems like the story has nowhere else to go. The film ends predictably amid much talk of the meaning of being true to oneself, but the happy ending isn't oversold. Toni Collette is good in pretty much everything she does, and I have to admit that I've probably added an extra half star because of her presence and her fantastic ad-libs. Nia Vardalos is also less punchable here than she was in My Big Fat Greek Weeding, and David Duchovny thankfully keeps it low key as the love interest. The laughs are hit and miss at times, but as a whole the film is worth a watch and passes the time quite nicely.
February 1, 2007
A weird kind of tolerable.
December 28, 2011
I don't know what to say here, it's not awfully bad or superbly good. I like the story but the acting is so bad, not from Nia or Toni off course. It's campy fun but too campy.
½ January 12, 2007
Maybe I'm enough of a sucker for Toni Collette or maybe it was my forgiving approach to the concept, but it provided me enough chuckles to call it entertainment.
August 18, 2008
Delicously campy fun. Predictable yes, but also good-hearted and highly entertaining. Toni Collette and Nia Vardalos are highly convincing drag queens in their hilarious, over-the-top performance.
iLeo
½ April 12, 2007
Love this movie. Very funny!
FanGirl
March 26, 2007
A fun flim.
May 29, 2012
Another look at Some Like It Hot and Victor/Victoria. I'd gotten to the point of turning this off when something akin to the Stockholm Syndrome possessed me. My captor turned out to be a feel-good movie with an everyone loves everyone ending. Plenty of show tunes and good drag queen make-up. Don't try this one if you're feeling snobby. Caricature people and situations. I could watch this again.
June 14, 2011
This is one funny good movie. If you like Comedies you will love this one. I don't want to describe it cause it gives the theme away but great movie. A Must See!!
½ June 4, 2010
Apparently I was one of the few to enjoy this. I am a big fan of Toni Collette and I thought she was amazing in this. It is Nia Vardalos' best role to date. The story is predictable, but along the way it is tremendously entertaining, as well as funny and touching. Some great musical performances to boot. It's a slight take off on Some Like It Hot. It's nothing too deep but good fun.
April 2, 2010
Fun, fun, fun ... loved it. This is a really cool comedy and I so recommend it to anyone. Both Nia Vardalos and Toni Collette are stars in this film and they just shine and the laughs are plenty. Check it out.
December 7, 2009
Some Like It Hot..except with girls impersonating boys impersonating girls. Victor Victoria times two!
½ June 8, 2009
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this after watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but it was really funny so long as you are okay with your own sexuality.
½ April 28, 2007
Funny, cute little movie that happens to contain three of my fav actors...Duchovny, Collette and Vardalos.
July 27, 2008
Exactly what it should/could/would be, with an amazing cast and great intentions leading to a great comedy in the vein of 'Some Like It Hot.'
July 1, 2008
Freakin hilarious. I loved it. So funny and just all around great. *Fav line* You're voice is giving me mono!!
June 1, 2008
Unlike my big fat greek wedding this is NOT "a watch it over and over movie". It was fun the first time around.
½ June 16, 2007
VERY Different movie for me! But I Really liked the singing performances, costumes and make-up!! FUN!!
April 6, 2008
I have made everyone I know watch this movie & so far Everyone loves it. This is a truly hilarious good time. Nia has a great talent for script writing. This was tons better than My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I can't wait to see what else she creates. After you are done cracking up watching the movie on 1st take, re-watch it with the commentary & have even more laughs & learn a few pretty cool background tidbits. By now I have probably seen this film about 10 times and it never gets less enjoyable! A smart witty comedy with out the foul language sex or violence. I know, hard to believe but it is true now add it to your rental queue!!!!