The Consequences of Love (Le Conseguenze dell'amore) Reviews

June 27, 2015
There's something about the way Sorentino films Toni Servillo. Something extraordinary. Something wonderful. Something that turns a shallow scenario into a the life story of a normal man. Something that expresses so strongly the feelings of that man. Something hauntingly beautiful.
½ June 2, 2015
C'è molto del cinema di Sorrentino in questo film: la fotografia in primis e i tempi della scena, i pochi dialoghi sempre molto interessanti e pregni di significato. Il titolo del film potrebbe sviare sulla tipologia di film in questione perchè, seppur vero che l'amore è azione scatenante e presa di coscienza del protagonista, non è quello il vero punto che Sorrentino vuole approfondire, ma il film vuole farci riflettere sul tempo sprecato e le occasioni mancate.
March 2, 2014
Molto bello e intrigante
½ February 24, 2014
Bello nel suo genere. Molto bella la fotografia. Per me è no.
Harlequin68
October 22, 2013
Made at a time when everybody was not an open book due to the internet, the ever unpredictable "The Consequences of Love" recreates the pleasure of getting to know somebody for the first time. Even if that is the dour faced and middle-aged Titta di Girolamo(Toni Servillo) who has been staying at the same Swiss hotel for the past eight years. Since he cannot sleep, he eavesdrops on his neighbors Isabella(Angela Goodwin) and Carlo(Raffaele Pisu) who used to own the hotel.

I have heard that insomnia occurs to people who stay in hotels, probably due to a routine being broken or just sleeping in a strange bed, but have never had a problem sleeping in one myself. For the record, Titta has a routine of always using heroin every Wednesday at 10:00 am. As much as he admits that other people would frown at this habit, the movie in its own unique way shows the perils of breaking up a routine, starting with a suitcase being noisily dragged across a rumble strip that ends the opening credits.
½ March 18, 2013
a masterful piece of cinema.
chilling. intense. contemplative.
i have a feeling this one will linger with me for quite some time...
½ January 15, 2013
The film equivalent of the exponential function: Its pace is really slow at first, but increases... increasingly. Sorrentino's distinctive directing style is a personal favorite since I saw the magnificent 'il Divo' and he didn't disappoint me here either. Toni Servillo also did an excellent job, don't be fooled that for the most partit comprised of expressing absolutely nothing, because his voiceovers are haunting.
September 9, 2012
This film felt a lot smarter than me. By that I mean, whilst I was entertained, it was the lingering emotional impact the film has that has the greatest effect. All the relationships are intriguing and somehow meaningful but I'll have to play with the ideas for a while in my mind before deciding exactly how and why they are meaningful.
May 4, 2012
its like hypnotism.... watching this flick is like a person is hypnotizing you slowly and after a while you don't even realize what is happening around you. impeccable performances from top to bottom.
May 1, 2012
½ March 26, 2012
turn out to be good one ... loved it :)
February 10, 2012
This is a deep, Italian gem.

This film won't appeal to the mass, but I must have been in the right mood as I thought it was excellent. It is understated, deep, intelligent and arguably a suspenseful insight into an odd character's world. It's qualities were that it was so different, complex, well-paced, intriguing and well put together on many levels.

The film features a look into a mature, shy, reserved man. He is a safe-cracker, a father, a mob hand, and he also possesses a few other secrets too (not wanting to spoil the plot). The story involves this man falling for a hotel bar waitress, and how this and another event lead up to a finale demise.

The film is purposefully slow, exploiting silences and building tense situations before diving into a final deep end of momentous gangsterism.

If you like world cinema or can tolerate subtitled foreign films then this little unknown classic will hopefully please you.
January 22, 2012
We saw this film last night. Although it is set in Switzerland it is very much an Italian film, about a strange man who drifts around in a hotel. What is he doing there? Why does he engage in such odd activities? Why is he so shut off and aloof? As the film progresses there is a slow and tragic revelation, which depicts the consequences of getting mixed up in Mafia business and of course the consequences of love. Highly recommended.
½ January 19, 2012
The director succeeds in keeping you in suspense from the start of the movie till the very end. Toni Sevillo is convincing in the lead role. Don't miss it.
½ December 12, 2011
Fantastico, stiloso e con una colonna sonora eccezionale.
½ August 23, 2011
Brilliant psychological crime thriller.
½ March 1, 2011
Haunting! I was seriously impressed, and that is very rare.
February 18, 2011
My absolute favorite Italian movie...hilarious and tragic all at once, modern and backward with the good old Mafia twist. Progetti per il futuro: non sottovalutare le conseguenze dell'amore. = Never under estimate the consequences of love.
½ June 7, 2010
Effective cinematography and very skilful camera work, but ultimately lacking much potency in the plot. A minimalistic script can be fine, but when the strength of the film is its character interactions (both subtle and powerful when needed), why neglect that strength to instead focus on a weak mafia storyline just to throw in a bit of violence and quirkiness?
½ March 11, 2010
With his second direction, Sorrentino erases the little imperfections of his first work and realizes an incredibly deep travel in a soul of a man who is scared by life and from everything is not in his mysterious, quite and pragmatical routine.
A magnetic Servillo makes this mixture even better.