43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Constantine Reviews

Bob S

March 25, 2007
What do you figure the chances are for my last two movies to both feature automatic crucifix firearms?

Well, I watched this piece of Hollywood blasphemy just before dropping Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain. Hmm..., maybe there is a God.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 24, 2014
Prime example of a film that should have been much better than what is presented on-screen. The film tries to be far too ambitious than what it actually is, and in the long run, it loses track of its ideas and it ends up being a ridiculous mediocre outing. The film could have been quite good considering some of its ideas, but overall, it never becomes anything watchable and the cast here just deliver bland, over the top performances which make you lose interest. I really wanted to enjoy the film, and I went into this one with an open mind, unfortunately, this film was a letdown. The concept had the potential of being a great film going affair, but this was a poorly executed movie that quickly loses its spark of energy, and it tends to rely more on its visuals to make things engaging for the viewer. The power of a good film lies in its ability to tell a great story, but with Constantine, we don't have that vibe whatsoever, and it just ends up being a waste of time. I really wanted to enjoy it, but couldn't as there were too many lacking ideas in the film to really make it a watchable affair. Constantine is a mediocre film, a visual feat that is hollow in its story, yet tries too hard at grabbing your attention with a good sense of visuals, which is pretty much what this delivers in. Constantine is a mediocre film that is more ridiculous than anything, and it should have been much better than this.
garyX
garyX

November 4, 2006
John Constantine is trying to save his soul by hunting down and "deporting" demons who intrude on human affairs when he stumbles across a psychic whom the son of The Devil intends to use to escape from Hell. Keanu Reeves revisits Neo as the chain smoking anti-hero of Constantine, a film that can be thought of as "The Matrixorcist". It's a comic book adaptation that blends religious mythology with superhero conceits and the format of Noir thrillers. Since The X-Files, this idea has been done a hundred times, but rarely so well; the plot is a lot more involving than most of this type of thing, Constantine is a far more interesting central character than that of the usual super hero schtick and the mythology is used very creatively. The visual effects are also great having a really nice interpretation of Hell which looks like those old videos of nuclear blast zones and the quality cast (including Pruitt Taylor as Constanine's alcoholic priest side kick, Tilda Swinton as Angel Gabriel and Peter Stormare's wonderfully creepy Satan) draw you into this dark underworld of demons and angels. Stylish, inventive and with a lot of atmosphere, Constantine still stands up as one of the best films of its type. If you're a fan of Guillermo Del Toro then you should definitely check it out.
Apeneck F

July 5, 2007
A guilty pleasure as Keanu Reeves plays a noirish detective who also sidelines on paranormal cases. The angel Gabriel (a wonderful Swinton) is surprisingly up to no good, and somebody's got to stop her before ... wait for it ... the end of the world. Weisz competently fills in the bill as the girl in danger.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
I love this movie and im glad others agree!
God knows what the critics where watching in order not to be able to enjoy and appreciate this movie. Its exciting and breathetaking and has just one of the best storylines and unique storylines ive watched in a while.
Great cast and Tilda Swinton is the perfect choice to play angel gabriel, a really stunning and visual movie thats worth a chance!
Letitia L

December 23, 2011
Everyone loves to hate on Keanu but he makes John Constantine an appealing anti-hero to me (I liked him wayy better than Neo, seriously). The action and chemistry with Rachel Weisz made me rewatch the movie the next day.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Don't let my rating fool you; 'Constantine' is a very special effects laden film, with a surprisingly quality performance from Reeves. The problem with this film was that it wasn't very good. There is a certain amount of fun watching Reeves in a non-Matrix role (minus The Day the Earth Stood Still remake), as well as seeing him kick the asses of a bunch of demons, but I felt that the Hellblazer comics could have been adapted a bit more, a bit grittier, and stayed true to it's source material.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

February 16, 2008
Based on the comic book Hellblazer series, John Constantine (Keanu Reeves) is a globe traveling misfit who investigates supernatural mysteries. He teams up with a female police detective, Angela (Rachel Weisz), who seeks Constantines help while investigating the suicide like death of her twin sister.
Conner R

December 21, 2009
While this in no way resembles the true spirit of the Hellblazer comics, I'll admit that i've always been a pretty big fan of this. Keanu Reeves might not be the John Constantine that you're used to, but he gives a really strong performance and interesting take on the character. He's like the American, slightly more sympathetic and good-natured version. Tilda Swinton's Gabriel was probably one of my favorite part, she was just ridiculously cool and made the character so much more dynamic and powerful. With great supporting roles like Shia LaBeouf, Peter Stormare and Djimon Hounsou as Papa Midnight, it's really hard to not appreciate the surprisingly great acting for an early comic book adaption. While some of the concepts being dealt with might be odd and silly, the execution is so perfect that it works. Visually, Constantine is pretty much a flawless movie. It manages to get down a gothic style for LA that really sets a proper atmosphere for the subject matter. While it's not Hellblazer, it's still a great movie in its own right and incredibly fun.
3niR
3niR

June 9, 2010
If I judge this movie by the story, I would have to disagree with many things that they have shown here. But if I put that beside and judge everything else, it's really good. The performance, special effects, fighting, etc.
Coxxie M

June 10, 2009
LA BEOUF. why? why.... why.
Christopher A

January 6, 2011
As long as you take the material with a pinch of salt, Constantine proves to be an exciting flick with a good mixture of drama, action and violence. Keanu plays a chain smoking, angry version of Neo but in a way that you never once think about the Matrix. Instantly forgettable but stil a lot of fun.
Jason R

November 11, 2010
Chalk this one up as a "bad movie that I would watch over and over again." It's got the consistently lovely Rachel Weisz, Keanu being Keanu, and his Holy Cross Sawed-off Shotgun. Honestly, I don't know what more the critics want.
Mark W

August 22, 2010
DC Comics' "Hellblazer" gets the big screen treatment with the chain-smoking, existentialist detective John Constantine and although it may not appeal to some fans, there's no denying it has style.
Keanu Reeves plays the paranormal man in question, who after having visions of entities all his life, attempts suicide. Having been revived from his unsuccessful attempts, John Constantine is then doomed to an eternal waking life of demonic confrontations. This being the case, he attempts to make a deal with God, (in the knowledge that he has lung cancer) that if he can help in the eradication of demons from Earth, he may get a reprieve and be able to enter Heaven when he dies.
"Constantine" has a very imaginative and stylish look to it, mainly down to music video director Francis Lawrence. He uses several unusual camera angles and great use of atmosphere, showing exactly where he learned his craft. However, some inexperience is visible, the tell-tale signs being style over substance. It just so happens though, that the style is magnificent and has some similarities with the low budget Christopher Walken gothic/horror flick "The Prophecy". Lawrence's take on the biblical characters are very creative, from Tilda Swinton's androgenous "Angel Gabriel" to Djimon Hounsou's "Midnite" a guardian between Heaven & Hell and Peter Stormare's looming, well-dressed "Lucifer". Mixed up in all of this is a very mixed bag in Reeves as "Constantine". He's strangely brooding and appealing, yet also woefully bad in his selfconscious overacting. It's a very frustrating performance and a constant reminder that your watching a film, which ultimately isn't a good thing. The inclusion of Shia LeBeouf's comic sidekick "Chas" isn't a good thing either and seriously jars with the tone of the film. Really, we should be able to immersive ourselves in Lawrence's wonderfully atmospheric (under)world but get held back from full immersion to these visual treats by a lead performance that's not much better than Schwarzenegger would have delivered and a new director that is still finding his feet.
Brilliant characters nonetheless and although comic fans may not be happy, it's still very hard to resist it's visual splendor.
KJ P

July 24, 2010
I absolutely hated Constantine with my life. Not even the visuals could really save this piece of crap. This is filmmaking at it's highest low point. Keanu Reeves should be ashamed to be in this spiral of confusing nothingness!
Richard C

June 24, 2010
I loved this movie. A-
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
When a friend once recommended it to me, I read the plot and even the trailer seemed promising, but when I finally watched the Movie I just to myself never again.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 5, 2007
inaccurate spiritual concepts all the way through, kind of silly and poorly concieved with lackluster performances.
Anthony L

September 18, 2009
I liked it but graphic novels are so much better. It should have been set in England and I would be more upset about that but unfortunately, I really don't think there are any English directors good enough to take on the project. Harsh but true!