• Unrated, 1 hr. 48 min.

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Dialogue avec mon jardinier (Conversations with My Gardener) Reviews

Juli R

July 16, 2011
This is a gentle film about two school friends who are reunited and spend a summer talking to each other about where their lives have gone. The film is driven by dialogue and is in many ways quintessentially French--a disillusioned French artist on the verge of divorce philosophizes about life with his gardener. On the surface it is as simple as a glass of wine on a Sunday afternoon. But somehow it sustains itself to explore a long-standing friendship.
April 23, 2014
Remarkable film --simple story, no Hollywood fanfare, yet touching, and the final hour of the movie was just phenomenally good, complemented by Mozart's Clarinet concerto in A major. Beautiful!!
November 3, 2013
Heureusement le film est plus intelligent que son postulat de départ. Un parisien redécouvre les joies de la vie grâce au bon sens campagnard au travers des dialogues avec son jardinier, ancien ami d'enfance. Pour être heureux cultivons notre jardin... Le thème est un peu simplet et plein de bon sentiments, mais la réalisation ne l'est pas. Elle met le doigt sur cette étrangeté du caractère humain, on peut être cultivé et con, bête et intelligent, bête et con, cultivé et intelligent. Le bon sens dépend de quoi au fond ? Une chose dont je suis certain on s'enrichit toujours dans la générosité et le partage. (Pourtant parfois si difficile à mettre en pratique). Il y a autre chose aussi de fort dans l'acceptation de l'inéluctable et dans le réconfort de faire ce qu'on aime et d'être fidèle aux valeurs que l'ont s'est fixé.
November 12, 2012
I loved how the painter and gardener are both mature enough to accept each others' different values and perspectives on life. The conversations are absolutely superb. This is why I love french cinema.
anmarika
September 19, 2011
As you would expect for a Daniel Auteuil film, there are some very amusing bits. This one is slightly different from some of his previous lighter films because it is also quite thoughtful and sad. I loved how Daniel's character is impressed by his friend's ability to enjoy the simple things in life and how he expresses this is an art series - the small details of his friend's life are simply represented on canvas - like the pen knife that he carried because you never know when you might need to cut something, the slippers that he used to wear under his gum boots because they were more comfortable than socks and it meant he could take off his boots at the door and already have on the right indoor footwear, etc.

-----------
Conversations With My Gardener [French title: Dialogue avec mon jardinier], 2007, Writer / Director Jean Becker, Starring Daniel Auteuil.

Film seen by me: Sunday 15 July 2007.
February 21, 2011
Great film! Expertly done. Absolutely loved it, watching it on a flight from Chennai to New York.
rajdoctor
July 7, 2008
I read about this movie, and so deeply interested about the story line that I had to go and watch this flick. I do not understand French, nor the Dutch sub-titles. What I did was tried to search for sub-titles in English on the internet. Could not find one, so downloaded the sub-titles in Spanish, translated them to English and read the whole script of sub-titles before going for the movie. Surely it did not make much sense, but I depended on my memory to recollect the discussions between the painter and the gardener. Coming back home, I again re-read the sub-title script and recollected the images. That is how I saw and understood the movie. Though silly, that was the only and my way of doing enjoying this masterpiece.

The story is simple ? a famous painter Dupinceau (Daniel Auteuil) is fed up with life in Paris and has decided to move back to his village home to paint. He hires a gardener Dujardin (Jean-Pierre Darroussin) who turns out to me school class mate. A whole lifetime has passed from where they started at school ? remembering a prank the students played on their teacher?s birthday cake. They share their journey of life with each other ? through casual talks. The painter and gardener both experts in their fields are unique, in their perception of seeing things and understanding. Both of them become close friends ? and with ailing health of gardener, the painter takes him to Paris for treatment. A few years later when the gardener dies, the painter fulfills his wishes by drawing the common things of his gardener?s life ? to capture those memories of happiness and joys.

The simplicity of plot and the depth of discussion is so appealing that one fills fulfilled by just listening the gardener and painter talk ? you wish their talk would never end. This inspiring interest is created by Daniel and Jen-Pierre in living their roles perfectly on screen.

Seventy year old Director Jean Becker, who has also partly written the story takes us through this varied journey of life?s mysteries without letting us know that.

The innocent wittiness of gardener?s amazement and questions posed to the painter are the highlight of the movie ? that bring enlightenment of seeing things differently for painter and also for us.

The background musical score is spare, but wherever it is used, it is effective. There are a few sub-plots, but the movie does not digress from the main theme, and kudos to that track.

The most moving scene for me was when the two friends go for fishing, catch a big fish and then leave it back in the water alive and free again. Wonderful!

There are so many dialogues in questions, answers and casual exchanges ? that resonate with our souls. The last words of the gardener would ring in our hearts for years ? I would like that you painted something that I liked. And in the end - the painter does?

A classic, not to be missed ? only recommended for those who are willing to know their souls

(Stars 7.25 out fo 10)