Cook County - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cook County Reviews

LWOODS04
January 17, 2013
"Sick and disturbing. Those are the two words that I was left with after seeing this movie. The things that Bump does in this film made me absolutely sick. Its like a train wreck, you don't want to watch, but you can't seem to look away. I had a hard time with one scene in particular. I won't give it away, but I'm sure if you see the movie, you might guess which scene that was. I would like to think that these things are far from how it is with real drug addicts, but it's not. Those who have been around this kind of scene will know that it doesn't trail too far from being absolutely true to the behavior of someone who's addicted to methamphetamine. It's sad. See it if you want. I know I won't be watching it agian. Once was enough for me."
Harlequin68
½ August 22, 2013
In "Cook County," Bump(Anson Mount) spends most of his days either cooking meth or consuming it with what he would loosely call friends. He employs his teenaged nephew Abe(Ryan Donowho) to run errands while Bump's infant daughter Deandra(Makenna Fitszimmons) runs free on the property. After two and a half years, Bump's brother Sonny(Xander Berkeley) is released from prison but has to turn down his brother's offer of drugs due to his peeing in a cup for his parole officer who also wants to make sure his charge gets an honest job.

The strength of "Cook County" comes from its performances which are so lived in that they positively reek which is a compliment, by the way. If it had stopped there, this still might have been worth a recommendation but there is also a great sequence of crosscutting between two very disparate households that is the movie in a microcosm. The whole purpose of which is to show the dangers and decay of drug use without being preachy. At the same time, considering how bad the adults are(Sonny has some perspective but not quite enough), one wonders what hope there is for the children in this harrowing world.
½ January 1, 2013
This movie really captures the destructive things meth addicition can do to ones life. Great performances and directing by Pomes here. This movie isnt for everyone but it is a good one. Not for the fainted heart but if you want to see a good film this worth seeing. It will leave you on edge waiting for bad things to happen which do over and over again.
October 23, 2012
Anson Mount is intriguing, but otherwise this movie is completely unbelievable and never really captures your attention. It's nothing but bleak, depressing characters yelling at each other and doing drugs, with no resolution and no purpose.
½ December 16, 2011
Rather than viewing moral chaos from the eye of a storm, director David Pomes watches his movie blow off into the storm itself.
½ February 25, 2014
3.75/5 --- Drugs are bad for you, especially meth. This movie shows you why, how and who you hurt. Honest portrayal, great small cast - Xander Berkeley always impresses me (see him in a great series "The Booth at the End"), and so does Anton Mount, who has an uncannily resemblance to actor Henry Cavill ("Superman")...he does what Christian Bale did in "The Machinist" for his character, who you will grow to hate during the movie. Well done script and superb acting, just found it a bit slow...but you do get a feel for what it's like for the addicted.
September 9, 2013
Too flat, too plain; even too real, too disturbing & depressing to watch.
Harlequin68
½ August 22, 2013

July 29, 2013
This should be shown to all teens! Acting was par at best but the message was 5 stars! Go John McClain! Nice job.
June 15, 2013
The Critic Reviews of this movie are so far off. I was surprised at the quality of this film and just sorry i didnt catch it on the big screen. Anson Mount gives an incredible energy to the film and thought Xander Berkeley was fantastic. The writing of the script was superb and shines a light on the stark reality of drug addiction and the many tragedies that occur daily in this country and particularly in the South and what effect it has on communities and particularly the innocent. Truly brilliant film.
LWOODS04
January 17, 2013
½ January 1, 2013
½ November 16, 2012
very dark but i love it
October 23, 2012
½ October 15, 2012
A visceral look at how meth culture is inherently destructive.
½ September 7, 2012
This movie is incredibly bleak, and powerful. It doesn't shrink away from the depraved world it portrays.
½ July 7, 2012
Well acted solid put predictable story. The movie was well directed and the best with what they had and this story came with very little. Its a movie about a meth lab in the middle of nowhere backwoods and two kids being raised in the mess that surrounds it. It is tough to see what the kids are going through in a no win situation. I wasn't looking forward to another drug tweaker movie but I watched it anyhow iof the story is what you are into you will appreciate it more than I did.
½ December 16, 2011
December 17, 2011
I loved this movie. Tough subject and hard to watch at times, but filled with great performances.
December 14, 2011
No interest in the movie other than one of the co stars is Houston Chronicle's John McClane