33% As Above/So Below Aug 29

38% Taxi Brooklyn: Season 1
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Cop Land Reviews

August 24, 2012
A good drama with a stellar cast of actors and characters. The build up is slow, but the ending does not disappoint.
February 18, 2010
(First and only viewing - 4/10/2010)
fordmarkII
July 7, 2014
Good old cop flick with mob elements. Nostalgic win.
June 22, 2007
Director of 3:10 to Yuma's cop drama features an impressive ensemble cast. How corrupt are these cops?

"It sizzles toward an explosive and satisfying climax in which everything -- Stallone included -- fully bursts into life."
? Sandra Contreras, TV Guide's Movie Guide
June 23, 2014
Interesting, dark, and tragic look at the corruption cops tend to deal with and even allow to happen. Great performances by Stallone, Liotta, and Deniro.
May 10, 2014
I first saw this at the cinema in 1997. Could hardly remember it until I watched it again last night. Damn good! Stallone is quite impressive. But top acting all round.
William C.
April 21, 2014
Copland is a slowly paced story that although may lack the massive thrills some other films promise, you still get a smartly written story intertwined with some vicious characters and a small town Cop that just want's some justice and respect in his community.

The story as I say is smartly done and can be very much enjoyed(I mean that in the way that it is interesting more than fun). Stallone's character seems composed and I felt he knew what he was doing even when the cards are against him it seemed, but yes all round the story is good and I think this film is underrated as I have seen some say it is just Stallone walking around a lot, it it much more than that.

The Director James Mangold well to say this his first punt at directing it goes down very well and expectant things were thought of him, now whether not he ever did do better it doesn't matter because this film is a solid kind of good film. I particularly liked the script as without it the film would have crashed, thoroughly written well and seemed to match each character perfectly which I guess goes to who ever cast such actors.

Stallone and Keitel are the stars in truth of this and they perform well throughout the entire film, now with Keitel it is maybe known for him to do such things but Stallone is playing in a slightly subdued role from some of his others and we really see the range of which he can act and that he doesn't require violence in every film he's in. A mention to one of the best that is Robert De Niro who plays his character with mystery and intrigue who knows something is wrong before we seem to know.

It is not without it's criticisms as it can seem to lack revelations, you know what the deal of the film is and who is bad and good within the first quarter of the film, but we don't get shocks and I felt there was space for such things. I also will say that although it is thrilling, the thrill side is more Drama than action and well I say this to anyone who wants' to see it, don't expect loads of action from this.

The most memorable thing about this film to be fair is Stallone's performance in a light role but also I thought a lot about the mystery surrounding it not finding out who is bad but the mystery of saying to yourself "how will it all end", you won't predict it all because just as you think the film is ending it throws a curveball and put's you off course, just watch it and you will definitely see what I mean by that.

So overall a good film and moving upwards towards being very good rather than falling to being just pretty good, I recommended this for any person who enjoys a good police drama with just a little action dabbled in. People expect too much of Stallone action wise well don't I mean as I say he is subdued and is basically in invisible chains in this from breaking free and killing Keitel's character right where he stood.

I give this a 7.3/10, that overall give's it a Solidly Good film rating and moving towards being very good indeed as well, I suggest renting it or whatever you can do to see this, but have a look and see and I feel you will enjoy it, well maybe.
April 12, 2014
Somewhat engaging but mostly average corrupt cop stuff you've seen before.
March 29, 2014
Written and directed by James Mangold (Girl, Interrupted (1999), Walk The Line (2005) and The Wolverine (2013)), this cop drama has a top notch cast to it's name, and Mangold set out to do a modern day western set in New Jersey. It has Sylvester Stallone playing against type as well, and showing he can be a terrific actor with the right material, and working with the right people. In the small town of Garrison, New Jersey. Local Sheriff Freddie Heflin (Stallone) finds himself embroiled in a case of police corruption when New York cop Murray Babitch (Michael Rapaport), nephew of Lt. Ray Donlan (Harvey Keitel) is caught up in an altercation with an African American gang on the George Washington Bridge, but when the gang end up dead, Babitch seemingly commits suicide by jumping of the bridge in despair. However, it's all a cover-up, Babitch did it on the orders of Donlan to cover up a potential racist incident. But, Babitch is being hidden in Garrison, and it's not long before Heflin gets involved in it all. Made on a very meagre budget, and with the cast all working on a scale salary, it has some brilliant performances and it manages to do quite a lot with so little. This should have put Stallone on the path to a new phase in his career, but after this, he couldn't get a break until he did Rocky Balboa (2006). Shame really.
November 2, 2013
Decent good cop, bad cop movie. Fairly predictable though but a fantastic cast.
May 15, 2007
fantastic film,with a great cast,stallone steals the film the ending feels like a western with the shootout
one of stallone's best roles/films
William C.
February 22, 2014
Not a bad thriller, De Niro does well as the city detective and the entire cast do well. The story is a good one albeit a bit drawn out but overall would recommended to people who enjoy a good thriller or crime movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 12, 2014
Impressive action drama that has gotten an unfair reputation, Cop Land features an ensemble cast lead by Sylvester Stallone in one of his finest roles since the 80's. This a highly entertaining cop movie, and I must admit, I was skeptical about seeing it at first, but I was surprised at how good it turned out. There are parts in the film that good have been reworked, just make it a bit more fleshed out in terms of story. As it is, it's a good story, but it could have been done a bit better as well. Now, that doesn't make Cop Land a movie, but it does leave you wanting a highly memorable picture. Cop Land has an ambitious scope for a storyline, and it does work for the most part, but at times it doesn't unleash its full potential of what it could have been. Luckily the great cast of varied talent more than makes up for the films shortcomings and there is enough intrigue to keep you involved from start to finish. Director James Mangold directs this action drama, and he manages to pull something quite good here, and Cop Land is a film that though could have been better, isn't as bad as you might think. Overall, this is an entertaining thrill ride with a great cast, but like I said, at times it could have been better. Nonetheless, this is worth watching, and this film features of Sly's best performances. If you're looking for a well layered and engaging picture, Cop Land is a worthy film to watch. With a cast like this, it more than makes up for its few weak moments, and you can easily enjoy a feature film that has enough action, thrills and entertainment to keep you on the edge of seat till the very end.
January 15, 2014
A great little cop drama flick with a stellar cast & a strong story at it's core. Entertaining.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 13, 2013
Sheriff Freddy Heflin: I look at this town, and I don't like what I see.

"No One Is Above The Law"

Cop Land is a solid, suspenseful, and thrilling cop/crime drama. It has a large and great cast, including Sylvester Stallone(in one of his best roles ever), Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel, and Michael Rapaport. This is also one of the first films from director James Mangold, and his writing, while slightly messy at times, is what manages to make the movie more than just a star driven vehicle and into a truly good film.

Cop Land is about a city in New Jersey, where most of the residents and NYPD officers that live there despite working in New York City. The reason they live there, they say, is to get away from a city that calls them the filth. Early on, a young officer nicknamed Superboy is driving home when a car sideswipes him and rushes off. He gives chase and mistakes something in the passengers hand for a gun, after his tire blows. He ends up shooting at the vehicle and killing both black passengers. His uncle is a big name cop in New York, who started the cop movement into Garrison, New Jersey. When no gun is found in the car of the deceased, Superboy is claimed to have jumped from the bridge to his death to avoid the investigation that was to come. But there's a lot more at work here than that. Soon a internal affairs officer shows up in Garrison to talk to the sheriff, and tells him he believes Superboy is still alive and that there's a lot more going on Garrison then meets the eye.

When I see movies that have such a large and great cast, I expect them to be character driven all the way. But characters don't drive this film, Mangold's story does. The story is well thought out and executed, and I enjoyed all the elements of it. It was as satisfying of a film of this genre type that I've seen.

I can't recommend this one enough, especially if you are into crime, cop, or mob films. It's a film that is extremely underrated and never really talked about, but one that definitely packs a punch and is engrossing and entertaining throughout. Do yourself a favor and give this one a look.
December 14, 2013
Despite its glaring predictability, this is good stuff.
May 16, 2011
Subtle, deep and gradually very intense. Stallone's acting is on par with his role in First Blood
Dann M

December 2, 2013
Dark and gritty, Cop Land is a compelling and intense crime drama. The sheriff of a small New Jersey suburb outside of New York City comes to realize that the cops living in his town are dirty and on the take from the mob. With an all-star cast that includes Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, and Robert De Niro, the performances are especially good. And, writer/director James Mangold does an impressive job at developing the characters and at building suspense. Additionally, the costumes and set designs help to create an authenticity that really helps to draw the audience into the time period of the film. Cop Land has some issues, but delivers a remarkably captivating thriller.
October 24, 2013
Stallone was very impressive. I never knew he could act.