Exclusive: Sneak Peek at Coraline! (Video #5)

The animated collaboration between Henry Selick and Neil Gaiman!

Nick Park's working on a new Wallace & Gromit. Wes Anderson is creating a hand-animated adaptation of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. But it's director Henry Selick's latest project that announces stop-motion is back en vogue. Selick's last feature-length project (James & the Giant Peach) was over a decade ago, while it's been 15 years since he revolutionized the medium for modern audiences with The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Selick's return to the movie fold comes in the form of Coraline, a marriage of his knack for dark whimsy and novelist Neil Gaiman's gently twisted sense of humor. The plot details a young girl named Coraline (voiced by Dakota Fanning) and her descent into a fantastical alternate reality that will require all her brains and resources to escape out of and back into our world.

Every day this week we'll be unveiling exclusive videos that feature clips, behind-the-scenes footage, and interviews with the cast and crew, including Selick, Gaiman, and Ian McShane.

Click on the links below to watch the exclusive videos!

Coraline will be out in theaters February 2009.

Comments

Veritablian

John Quinlan

Exceptional.

Aug 11 - 11:53 PM

gigaherc

Michal Jakubowski

I sooo wish they made Gaiman's Neverwhere and American Gods into great epic, dark masterpieces - these stories are so well written. Last year's Stardust wasn't bad but I had the feeleing it could be better.

But maybe Coraline is a good start, I'm sure it will be warmly welcomed as something different in CGI cartoons era.

Aug 12 - 12:15 AM

necron91

Michael Clulee

Neverwhere was written as a TV series on the BBC, the book was written at the same time, there are clips of it on youtube floating around, hope that helps.

Aug 12 - 02:43 AM

Danrisulfr

Daniel Engelmeier

This will be staggeringly awesome, I have no doubt, but American Gods should never leave the realm of books, there's no possible way to translate that truly.

Aug 12 - 05:58 AM

vaodsi

john irvine

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ticket is sold.

Now i just have to live every day in boring anticipation for february..........

Aug 12 - 01:19 AM

harrismonkey

chris harris

Granted the consensus was that it was terrible, but Monkeybone was actually Selick's last feature (like JATGP, it also mixed stop motion and live action). I've never read it, but the rumor is that the Monkeybone script was brilliant and that studio interference was the issue.

I am kind of excited about this film. I hope it's good!

For stopmotion fans, some of my work is on youtube (as well as a trailer for my now available feature):

Aug 12 - 01:26 AM

necron91

Michael Clulee

Aug 12 - 02:43 AM

HyperionChild

Warren John

February 2009....what a great birthday gift to me!!!
Where would we be without the great works of people like Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker?
Bored! That's where we would be!!
Gaiman's "Smoke and Mirrors" remains one of my all time favorite short story compilations. I recommend this collection as a starting point for those who have never read Gaiman. The man is nothing if not versatile.
Thank you RT and Alex Vo for these exclusives.

Aug 12 - 03:42 AM

Danrisulfr

Daniel Engelmeier

Aug 12 - 05:58 AM

grimsreaperX

Benjamin Crais

Looks lame. Loved the book, though. It does not look nearly creepy or surreal enough. Also, just wait for the crowds of twittering fan girls wearing Coraline shirts now, thinking they are goth or something.

Ugh.

Aug 12 - 06:58 AM

Veritablian

John Quinlan

It looks lame because they don't want to give the entire movie away, it's just a glimpse at the animation.

Aug 13 - 01:12 PM

tancredo

Tancredo Cortizo

Man... Just awesome. This videos could be downloadeable.

Aug 13 - 06:01 PM

grimsreaperX

Benjamin Crais

Ugh.

Aug 12 - 07:01 AM

Kudama

Kudama Johnson

I just picked up the hardcover comic drawn by P. Craig Russell on Friday (mostly for the art-sorry Gaimanites). I wish I could see the preview but my home computer is kaput and I work behind the iron curtain firewall-wise.
I'll probably let the comic decide whether or not I see this in the theater.

Aug 12 - 08:17 AM

trgdr777

C Ferguson

I love stop-motion, and this certainly looks interesting. Still, the footage didn't give me that same sense of awe that movies like Nightmare Before Christmas did. I will wait and see though.

Aug 12 - 09:32 AM

Mriae

kristins craig

I thought of that! Seriusly i luv coralin the book and im gonna LOVE it in theters. Im going opening night. Oh and Agust 20 somthin nighmare before x mas is cummin to DVD YALL

Aug 12 - 11:50 AM

Mriae

kristins craig

Aug 12 - 11:52 AM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

I have high hopes for this one. Maybe it'll be what Corpse Bride should'a been.

Plus, it being in 3D will be cool. Nightmare was excellent in 3D and it wasn't something that was initially planned for it. The model puppets look more natural in a 3D plane as opposed to a 2D, standard one.

In other words, WIN!

Aug 12 - 08:28 PM

Veritablian

John Quinlan

Aug 13 - 01:12 PM

tancredo

Tancredo Cortizo

Man... Just awesome. This videos could be downloadeable.

Aug 13 - 06:01 PM

tancredo

Tancredo Cortizo

Man... Just awesome. This videos could be downloadeable.

Aug 13 - 06:01 PM

Chipotle

Watts martin

Hmm. While it looks promising, am I the only one unsettled by the release date? February is traditionally the Dumping Month, when movies the studio has lost confidence in get shoveled out. Sure, sometimes you find gems that the studio apparently just had no idea how to market, but let's face it: most of the times the studios are dumping the movie in February because it's worthy of being dumped. Finding a movie that the studio really has confidence in and is releasing in February as an example of quirky counter-programming? Well... if you can think of a single one, that's one more more than I can.

Aug 13 - 11:43 PM

firecover098

fire you

Just want to date a rich man on 'Ric h ki ss. co m'. So many certified millionaires there. I'm also a quality single. Let me meet a real millionaire. LOL.

Aug 14 - 12:22 AM

Haskonflip

Andreas DR

Love Nightmare, love Corpse Bride, love James ... and I really like the way this is looking already. Super nice animation, extremely nice puppets, great story...
I do have to agree on the bad release date.
I hope they promote this movie in a better way than they did with Corpse Bride for example. Because although it was a really good movie, not many people seem to know it. And that's how it is with most of the Stop Motion movies nowadays. (at least here in Belgium, don't know how it is in other countrys)
I hope it's gonna be good and many people will be interested.

Aug 14 - 03:02 PM

josuepilk

Josue Pilk

Is Danny Elfman doing the soundtrack? From what I hear in the three previews it sounds like he is. Dude is amazing, "The Nightmare Before Christmas," the Tim Burton Batman movies, "The Simpsons" theme, all Danny Elfman. He is a genius when it comes to musical scores.

Aug 14 - 03:43 PM

sectaur

First Last

They Might Be Giants and Bruno Coulais do the music.

Aug 14 - 06:28 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel