Critics Consensus: Coraline Is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got dark whimsy (Coraline, with voice work by Dakota Fanning and Teri Hatcher); love mishaps (He's Just Not That Into You, starring Jennifer Aniston and Scarlett Johansson); a bumbling detective (The Pink Panther 2, starring The Pink Panther 2 and Aishwarya Rai) and some paranormal antagonists (Push, starring Chris Evans and Djimon Hounsou). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

lancerbird13

Clark Metheny

Coraline was really fantastic, with some of the best uses of 3D I've seen yet. Another Pink Panther? Meh, I'll pass.

Feb 5 - 04:42 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Coraline" looks really good, I'll be seeing it. It will probaly be the only movie I'll see this month. Better than nothing. "Pink Panther 2" has John Cleese I believe. And during his own eulogy, he bashed the first. ("Have you seen the Pink Panther?") Not interested. "Push" looks pretty unorginal, and "He's Just Not That Into You" looks like the worst of the bunch. At least there's "Coraline".

Feb 5 - 04:52 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Yeah, you're pretty much an idiot in my book if you see any of these flicks other than Coraline.

Feb 5 - 04:57 PM

MizzleBrizzle

Mike Bragg

Can't wait to see Coraline early tomorrow. Nothing else looks worth a glance.

Feb 5 - 04:58 PM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

Coraline
Taken
Where the Wild Things Are
Funny People

That's my whole "anticipated" list for 2009.

Feb 5 - 05:09 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Kill yourself.

Feb 5 - 06:38 PM

Ryan M

Ryan Marshall

I agree. Funny people didn't look amazing to me. My list is so far:

1. 9
2. District 9
3. Where the Wild Things Are
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. A Christmas Carol(2009)
6. Astro Boy
7. Avatar( not the last airbender one)

Jul 13 - 05:00 PM

the_don_of_yreka

Francisco "Kiko" Gomez

Fanboys got a rotten rating? This movie took too long to come out. Damm you Weinsteins!

Feb 5 - 05:38 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Kill yourself.

Feb 5 - 06:38 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Bruce Cambell might be overstating that, but seriously, what about "Watchmen" or "Up", just to name a few.

Feb 5 - 07:20 PM

kenny356

Kenneth Roos

I'm all about Coraline this weekend, that and the Wrestler finally mada it to my town, so I guess I have two movies to see this weekend.

Feb 5 - 07:44 PM

sergal4

John Gal

Scarlett Johansson "actress"actually is a clone from original person,who has nothing with acting career.Clone was created illegally using stolen biomaterial.Original Scarlett Galabekian last name is nice, CHRISTIAN young lady.

Feb 5 - 07:50 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I can't wait to see WATCHMEN.

Plus, I have a serious crush on Zhang Ziyi, so I'm hoping "The Horsemen" will come to a theater near me.

Feb 5 - 07:53 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I am dying to see Coraline, I am still a big Henry Sellick fan even though I hated Monkey Bone which wasn't even his fault. I am actually going to go 45 minutes out of my way to see it in 3D, I bet the movie would still be awesome in 2D but I a bet 3D is the way to see it and I haven't seen a 3D movie in years.

Feb 5 - 08:37 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Oh yeah, "Moneybone", haven't seen that in years... God I hate that. But "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is one of my favorite films, so I can forgive him.

Feb 5 - 08:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah he got really screwed over on Monkey Bone, studio tampering. He also did James and The Giant Peach which I think is pretty underrated.

Feb 5 - 09:26 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Feb 5 - 08:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 5 - 09:26 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 5 - 09:26 PM

MizzleBrizzle

Mike Bragg

Anybody who has only 4 films on his 'anticipated' list for an entire year either doesn't like movies or is being a moron. Anyway, don't let January and February get you down. Hey, Coraline is an unusual blessing for this time of year, I think (haven't seen it yet, so I should reserve judgement, eh).

Feb 5 - 09:49 PM

agtatoo@netzero.net

Angela Garrett

I'm for Coraline, it looks cool. If I don't see it in theaters, I will get in on DVD. Futhermore, I have no better expectations for Push (despite Chris Evan being the star) I'm guessing because theme to the movie doesn't seem original to me, I've seen to many movies about people with superpowers in superhero movies. And I'm just not into "He's Just Not That Into You."

Looking foward to March's line-up, which includes the "Watchmen"!

Feb 5 - 10:24 PM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

I'm very looking forward to Coraline. The combo of writer and director boded well, and it seems it will do really well. I'll def. catch in 3D. I'm still regretting missing Bolt completely, especially since I heard the 3D in that was good. We won't pass this one up!

No other new releases this week ever seemd to have been worth seeing and the reviews certainly emphasize that idea-- road trip for Phantom Meanace? How dated is that?

Feb 6 - 04:30 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

"And I'm just not into "He's Just Not That Into You."
LOL what a bad critic line

Feb 6 - 07:27 AM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

Ugh, nothing good this weekend, again. I'm with the general consensus on the garbage big three, but I am also vehemently against Coraline. It's one of those lame 'dark' animated movies that gets an annoying cult following of artsy teens who shop at Hot Topic. Yech.

Feb 6 - 09:15 AM

vitajex

Mike M

Those kids don't have time for 'Coraline' as they are too busy reading 'Twilight' books and cutting themselves.

'Chocolate' could be good if it can tap into any of that Tony Ja 'Ong-Bak' or even 'Suryothai' energy.

The Thai are making some interesting films this decade. Anybody see 'Tears of the Black Tiger'? I highly recommend it if you liked 'Sukiyaki Western Django'.

Feb 6 - 09:59 AM

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!