Exclusive: The Art of Coraline with Henry Selick

The director takes us through the visuals of his masterpiece.

Coraline

"It was very challenging to shoot in 3D at first; it took four months to work it out. I know a lot about 3D, I know Lenny going back 20 years, but the main thing is that it's like learning a language. It's easy to use too much because it's cool. For me it was about coming up with a script for when and how to use it based on story. Then it wasn't so difficult. It's easy to get carried away, and I'm especially happy we kept a lid on it."

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

Oooh, "My Bloody Valentine 3D" got dissed!

May 9 - 10:28 AM

mssk8erboy

First Last

That was an awesome article, nice job RT.

-MIKE

May 9 - 12:20 PM

Chaotic

Chris Burge

So when is the DVD/Blu-ray coming out?

May 9 - 12:55 PM

Colin W.

Colin Williams

DVD/Blu-ray is out July 21 according to releaselists.com

Coraline only came out here in the UK this week (May 8) so maybe thats why it's taken five and a half months for the home release.

May 12 - 11:50 AM

WallEField

Matt Welch

"Coraline is out now."

Umm...where?

May 9 - 01:42 PM

mpchitown

Matthew Phillips

When are we going to be able to get movies like "Coraline" with the option of viewing it in 3D? I think it would be a great idea if with the dvd or blu-ray purchase there would be a second disk or something that had the movie in 3D. I mean if they can get people to get 3d glasses for a stupid superbowl commercial why can't we get the 3d glasses for a beautiful movie like "Coraline?"

May 9 - 03:03 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Coraline is awesome! Great article Joe, but yeah when is this hitting Blu-Ray?!? It's been over 3 months since it was released, there should be an announcement soon! Plus I bet it holds up well on 2D.

May 9 - 10:38 PM

pinkincide

jon doe

The garden scenes in particular were gorgeous, and a nice surprise since they weren't in the novella. Just about all the story "additions" were great. When's the last time that happened in a movie? The only other example that comes to mind was the surprisingly good Stardust--also a Neil Gaiman story.

May 9 - 11:06 PM

HyperionChild

Warren John

Exactly. I think that's because both directors are personal friends of Mr. Gaiman who respect him and also respect the source material.

May 11 - 09:31 AM

HyperionChild

Warren John

So that when they add things they don't "clash" with the spirit of the source material.
(Hit SUBMIT too soon dammit!)

May 11 - 09:39 AM

jpotter

John Potter

this is probably my favorite movie of the year, so far.

more info on the dvd here: http://www.cinemablend.com/dvdnews/Henry-Selick-Sheds-Light-On-Coraline-DVD-Details-16201.html.

one edition of the dvd will be sold this year with the red-and-blue 3D glasses.

May 11 - 12:16 PM

Thorsten K.

Thorsten Krause

Just viewed it yesterday at the Festival of Animated Film in Stuttgart, luckily in a 3D screening. They already had to do an extra viewing two days ago and still turn many people away yesterday. Despite having a crappy position at the side of the room I got totally sucked into the movie. It was all fantastically fitting together - amazing visuals, great voice work, the according music. I enjoyed it extremely.

May 11 - 01:07 PM

Colin W.

Colin Williams

DVD/Blu-ray is out July 21 according to releaselists.com

May 12 - 11:50 AM

kally l.

kally lee

My friend recommended me a very interesting place *** WealthyFinder COM *** It's where wealthy singles and celebrities looking for someone to enjoy their wealthy lifestyle with.

May 14 - 08:18 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel