—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Coraline Reviews

John M

July 21, 2009
When they put Neil Gaiman on screen we get magic. Again an amazing adaption of an amazing tale. Me and my daughter enjoyed every second of this one.
Spencer S

July 29, 2010
Very much like Neil Gaiman's book of the same name, "Nightmare" director Henry Selick imagines a world that is black, bewildering, and ghoulish. Drawing on our worst fears, and the intensity of childhood wonder, the film follows Coraline, a little girl who moves into a new apartment with her parents, and finds her new world wanting. Faced with a parallel universe and a ghastly villain named "Other Mother" Coraline must put on a brave face and end the monster's reign. Completely filmed in stop-motion animation, the world is even more beautiful and ghastly than it ever could have been in another medium. The characters are just as bodacious as the book, there's the same level of terror as in the original text, and there's a sense that Coraline is the only one who can save the day, even though she is a child. It's adventurous and dark, which more children's films should aspire to be.
Red L

September 10, 2013
Enjoyed it - not sure how my kids would have felt about it if they would have seen it as kids.
Christian C

May 18, 2013
Interesting story and fabulous animation. Not your usual animated feature -- a bit darker than I expected.
Anthony L

January 21, 2013
I enjoyed Coraline and loved the story and the animation but I have to say I expected more from a collaboration between Henry Selick and the brilliant Neil Gaiman. Unfortunately Selick made such an impact with Nightmare before Christmas and Coraline isn't Gaiman's greatest achievements (it's not bad, it's just not my favourite of his) that Coraline just doesn't live up to what has come before. Maybe I'm being unfairly tough, it's certainly tons better than most other Children's films of late and really does bring back that horror and fantasy element of the classic fairytale that is overdue a return.
EightThirty .

December 11, 2012
03/1/2012 (BluRay, 3D)
Jens S

February 10, 2009
The creators of "Nightmare before Christmas" return with the adaptation of a Neil Gaiman children's horror novel. Once again, the animation is breathtakingly beautiful, even if in a creepy way. You can see that this was certainly a beauty in 3D and on the big screen. The imagination and love that went into the creation of each of those characters and settings clearly is showing. While the plot starts out as a mystery adventure, the second half is nothing short of horror and not for younger kids at all. Which clearly shows the film's dilemma. It's a bit too hysterical and silly for grown ups and way too creepy for the younger kids. Everyone between that who likes Tim Burton-esque weirdness could have a great time with this, it's definitely very entertaining, even if it all doesn't make all that much sense.
Tyler K

January 19, 2012
This wasn't directed by Tim Burton, nor was it directed by David Lynch, and of course, it wasn't directed by me (must get through the Police Force until then), no... we have a new Tim Lynch on the loose... his name is Henry Selick. And man Henry, you dream of some of the most creepy, bizarre things at night. Coraline is by far the most traumatizing children's film since The Adventures of Mark Twain, which for your information, has the Devil murder allot of innocent clay people in a greedy clay world. Creepy stuff, but Coraline kicks it up a notch. Like you all know, Eraserhead is one of the 5 fav films I have. These are Saw, Eraserhead, Ghost Protocol, Matrix, and Terminator. Eraserhead is number 2 of awesomeness, must mean I like surrealness in my movies. Oh yeah, I said it, I made up a new word. This is a great movie if you love Tim Burton or David Lynch, or if you just love original films that are really eye catching and weird, watch this movie
Daniel P

August 14, 2011
So this is embarrassing: I didn't really get it. I was waiting most of the movie to find out that Coraline's parents acted the way they did because they were getting a divorce or something, only to find out that the point really was just about the difference between reality and fantasy. My first reaction was that the story was a little rough around the edges, unfinished and ambiguous and therefore (possibly) too complicated for its target audience (kids); however, given some time to think about, I've started to piece it back together, and I think I really should have watched this at home and not on an airplane. That's what I'll do the next time. And if it's no better, so what? It's still great to see a Tim Burton influence layered on a Neil Gaiman story: it's in the margins where the best work is always being done, and sometimes it takes a long time for the "normal" movie watcher to understand.
maxthesax
maxthesax

November 9, 2011
In this stop motion film, you have a marvel of imagination, hemmed in by a story that is all too predicable in spite of some wondrous flights of fancy.

A young girl from Michigan is uprooted to Oregon by her parents, who seek peace and quiet to write some kind of gardening book. Ignored by her parents, and resentful for the move, the young girl Coraline Jones (hmm, and how come no-one has mentioned the alliteration to Carolyn Jones who portrayed Morticia Adams???) is bored and yearns for a better life. Low and behold, while asleep one night, she is led to a door that opens upon an alternate reality where her mom is especially loving and attentive - or at least so it seems at first.

When she awakens, she is back in her dreary room, so one wonders, Is it just a dream? This is a great idea, but due to the surreal effect of the animation, I started to question; what is real to the surreal? For sure, the doppelganger doll with the button eyes doesn't look that much different from the artistic cartoon of the girl herself - which makes the effect much less jarring.

Going into the technical aspects of the film, the voice acting is fairly solid, though Dakota Fanning as Coraline sounds very out of sorts in places and though I love French and Saunders with a passion (think Ab Fab) I often had problems understanding what the heck they were saying (a problem I never had with Ab Fab, oddly enough). The stop motion is very fluid with a few jarring exceptions - just when you start to lose yourself in the film there's a scene that's just too herky jerky - bringing you out of your reverie and back into "?hey, I'm just watching a film".

And yet, there are moments of pure magic, especially concerning Mr. Bobinsky (voiced by my hero Ian McShane, who will forever be Al Swearington to me). The scene with the jumping mice is almost worth the price of admission by itself, and the operatic/vaudeville/ trapeze scene with French and Saunders, while superfluous, was still a lot of fun - it was almost as if the director asked the pair "ok, we're going to let you riff for awhile, what can you come up with".

There are inventive touches galore, and yet the motis operandi of the final third of the film is based on a hokey convention, and unfortunately the final coda is hackneyed at best, making you wonder, as with so many animated films, who the target audience is supposed to be ? once again we seem caught in the middle, between an adult and a children?s film; and once again, seeking the middle ground muddies up what by rights should have been a classic film. This is certainly a worthwhile view, but rests firmly in the good, but could have been great category.

For the record - I saw this in 2d, so can't comment about the 3d version.
Sophie B

October 10, 2011
A fantastic and original stop motion animation. I was interested throughout the film and loved the aesthetics of it. They really did put a lot of work into this and it completely paid off. Reminds me of my childhood...
Lady D

February 8, 2009
Predicted rating: 4 stars

Coraline is really a Horror film for young children, it really does play on many fears that a young child may have, with a very dark side to the story, it carries itself in a Burtonesque style.

There are clear signs of influence of Henry Selick's earlier film The Nightmare before Christmas.

Coraline starts off slow, but soon becomes an interesting adventure of two parallel worlds merging together.
Matthew S

June 24, 2011
Wonderfully imaginative art style. There is so much detail, detail that is worth noticing, that even multiple viewings will not capture it all. Every character is full of unique personality. The same can be said of the soundtrack. Everything about this movie seems antithetical to the safe and bland "mass appeal" approach of most animated movies today. It feels unique and genuine all the way down to its stitching.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Beautifully constructed and totally original, not to mention genuinely terrifying at times. Full review later.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

June 8, 2009
Cast: Dakota Fanning, Ian McShane, Teri Hatcher, Keith David, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, John Hodgman, Robert Bailey Jr.

Director: Henry Selick

Summary: In this stop-motion animation Oscar nominee, curious young Coraline (voiced by Dakota Fanning) unlocks a door in her family's home and is transported to a universe that strangely resembles her own -- only better. But when her Other Mother (Teri Hatcher) doesn't want Coraline to return to reality, our heroine must summon an amazing amount of courage to go home and save her family.

My Thoughts: "A good film to teach you that having it all perfect isn't always perfect. I liked that it was a bit dark and creepy. The animation was really good. The film has beautiful colors and I loved the garden. Dakota Fanning is great as Coraline. She fit the character wonderfully. I loved the story. I think it may be for older children though. My seven yr old newphew found it a bit scary. Plus there is a burlesque performance with an old lady wearing some pasties. My nephew was pretty grossed out. But I think ten and older will be OK watching this."
Conner R

January 28, 2010
Coraline's actually a great movie when you are able to see its true beauty in 3D. It really takes animation to a new level; somehow the claymation works even better. Usually it's not that big of a difference when it's 2D or 3D, it's the true imagination and good storytelling that should hold up no matter what. However, 3D is such a vital part to the story of Coraline that it's hard to appreciate it as much in any other platform. This has a great story, characters (voice talents as well) and Selick's great use of music.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
It is not really that what I expected but it was not boring. Full of Phantasy and funny moments. What I liked about the Movie was there was not much musik (background sound) *humph* these days the Movie are added so much which backgournd sound you can hardly hear actors talking. Gee, it sometimes badly annoying. If I want to watch a musical Movie, I d go watch a Bollywood Movie.

What brings if you cannt hear the actors talking only sound. In theater its even worster.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 13, 2011
A cool movie, but maybe too scary for kids, and this is coming from me, the guys who never cares if kids will find it scary.
michael e.
michael e.

January 1, 2011
A dark and suspenseful film, but what did you expect from the director of "Nightmare Before Christmas." Though there were some unnecessary things in the movie like, the whole scene with the two busty old ladies, it was funny, but it was unneeded in the film, especially in a kids film.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 6, 2009
it was alright, i found it quite predictable but it was interesting enough!
i like the tim burton feel altough not a tim burton film it gives us a quirky and interesting concept which is wonderful to watch this animated cartoon.
Its interesting that should be watch even if its for a simple easy to follow movie.