50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Core Reviews

Phil H

March 17, 2012
I dunno why but I do like this disaster film :) yes its totally stupid, totally unrealistic and completely along the lines of 'Armageddon under the earth' but to hell with it! its a fun ride.

Part of this is down to the likeable cast of science bods for me, Eckhart has always kinda been the bigger version of Scott Bakula in my humble view, a nice guy with floppy hair haha Karyon and Lindo are both solid as always and Tucci is fully enjoyable as the whiney scrawny egghead who will obviously kick the bucket hehe. Only downside is the Justin Bieber lookalike Swank who is just too damn wholesome and American to stand for so long.

The film is simply fun from the get go really, your typical disaster scenes across the world to the cool ideas the film makers came up with for the earth's interior, it really does feel like an updated 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' when the crew break into a huge geode which then begins to leak lava. I think the creative team did well with whats shown as the crew progress deeper, I'm sure its wrong but it looks cool.

As you near the climax the plot does get a little more emotional as members fall by the wayside one by one much like all disaster flicks do and this does keep you glued to the screen somewhat, its very predictable but you wanna see it through.

I think the plot is well worked in this film, it seems like an impossible task but the theories of how you could actually jump start the center of the earth are clever I guess, you know its not real but it looks and sounds like it could be. I also liked the craft design they use, the 'space' suits and all the science guff they babble when the heat is on (no pun intended), a shame the ending is so flat but it beats the over blown all American showboating you got in 'Armageddon'.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 24, 2011
The Core is one perfect example of a terrible film that should've never been made. What's stunning about this film is that it has a good cast of talented actor, aside from D.J. Qualis, who was always a terrible actor. I can't believe the amount of really good actors who acted in this pile of junk. The film is yet another "save the world" type of film and is focused on reigniting the earth's core. However, the films plot is so poorly conceived that you lose interest in watching the film, and wonder why you even bothered with the film in the first place. This cast cannot save the world or this film for that matter, and when you have a seventeen year old as the head of the operation, you know you have a really bad film in the can. This film fails as a disaster film and as an action movie. When I originally saw this at the time of its release, this was the worst that I had seen. The Core has a great cast of talented actors, but even that doesn't save this lacking, and mediocre story. This is one of the worst action films that has come out of Hollywood, and really makes the disaster genre an irrelevant bad joke. This is a film that should be avoided. The great cast is wasted here, and they shouldn't have ever made this stupid, ridiculous.
Apeneck F

June 26, 2011
Action/adventure sci-fi about an intrepid team of scientists who must journey to the center of the earth in order to save the world. I wonder what can happen? Summer movie fun.
Coxxie M

June 9, 2009
i was just waiting for Alan Jacksons "where were you when the world stopped turning" to play over the end-credits.
Sophie B

July 21, 2010
The only thing that makes this film worthwhile is D.J Qualls. He plays a great and interesting part which holds the film together. The narrative was weak and way too fast moving. One minute they've got no idea what to do and the next they have this massive machine all built and ready to use. It's too unbelievable and I just didn't care for the characters or what happened to them. The CG was ok.
3niR
3niR

June 8, 2010
I did liked this movie when I watched this. But the whole storyline was so-not-okay. I mean it was a serious type of movie. I learned some stuffs from it. But the thing is, whatever reason they stated was not so agreeable.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 14, 2007
i loved this movie, but im a sucker for these type of mvies anyway!
its a thrilling and intresting and intriguin movie that keeps you on the edge of your seats as they take there journey into the core of the earth!
when the earths core stops workig a electro field thingykills all people with a bypass monitor in them, so high scientists and people o fly the space shuttle/craft thing they fly into the core but it has its differcultes an bad things happen! good ovie wort a watch!
Jason O

August 18, 2009
Awesome, deserves more attention and praise than it gets for sure
Wildaly M

July 24, 2007
I thought it was pretty good as well. Entertaining. A little bit too unrealistic for my taste. I mean really... going to the center of the Earth and surviving the trip, was a bit of a stretch. But then I would be kinda dissapointed as well that the movie would've ended with everyone dead. No one wants that so the unrealistic survival of those characters was reasonable. But I must admit it was a good concept and a tad original as well with all of it's ideas about how electromagnetic waves would affect the Earth. Now I am not a physicist so I do not know if all the things presented in the movie concur with actual physics law (I hated that class!!)... and frankly I really don't care that much. It's just a movie. But I guess it's curious to think about such things.
Dean !

April 29, 2007
An ok action/ disaster film. If you liked The day after tomorrow you will like this.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 12, 2007
Where to begin? This movie is so bad on so many levels it makes you cringe. There is much worse out there though.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 11, 2007
respected actors in a stupid movie
Jason S

December 27, 2006
Action and a little camp thrown in.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
Of course this movie is unrealistic and sometimes rather silly. Fans of the genre however won't be disappointed. It's fast, entertaining, sometimes even exciting. Awesome as always: Stanley Tucci.
Mouhannad S

January 13, 2011
" The Core "I thought it was pretty good, much better than another sci-fi film in this genre, in the Core, there is suspense and thrills and explanations are given, even though it sounds like things like that could never happen. And certainly there would never be some ship that could travel through lava that is thousands degrees hot and not melt and have everyone survive. And it really got ridiculous when they crash land on this spiky looking piece of ground and they get out of the ship and survive. I mean, wouldn't it have either been unbearablely hot or cold right there. And then they had to come up with another ridiculous idea to have a happy ending. And they had to have the usual snotty guy that you don't want to make it, but in this film, they even had all the good guys die except the 2 you knew would survive.
So what? It is a different twist on the disaster films that had not been much done before (unless you include the much inferior "Deep Core") It is a good steady film with workable performances from a less than stellar cast, but these people are believable even if the premise of the movie is not. I am an easily bored movie goer and it really takes a good film to keep me in my seat all the way through.
The dialog was snappy with tons of irony and sarcasm, and the people made it work.

This movie is just fun, and well worth your time.
Yinalí R

October 11, 2007
Awesome movie.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

April 23, 2009
"Being a leader isn't about ability - it's about RESPONSIbility."

Crazy yet original end-of-the-world scenario as a team of six experts bore their way to the earth's core in a revolutionary subterranean vessel with the intention of jump-starting the rotation of the sputtering central mass by firing an atomic bomb. Hey, that's why it's called science fiction. If you can put your knowledge of physics and thermodynamics on hold, this trip offers some novelties and excitement, mainly due to the fact they limit the disaster special effect set-pieces (San Francisco is convincing, Rome isn't) and focus on the emotions and ingenuity of the six-man crew as they contend with a continuous array of crises. Underrated Aaron Eckhart and Oscar winner Hilary Swank lead a spirited cast, with top contributions from Delroy Lindo and Stanley Tucci. All aboard!
EnigmaticHallucination
April 30, 2009
Because jump starting the world with nukes seems like a good idea.
alanjayh
alanjayh

March 20, 2009
Yeah its a go-by-the-book formulaic disaster film..but most in the last 30 years have been the same. Its more fiction than science..but still an engaging, suspenseful story with decent special fx. The acting is above par, especially Stanley Tucci and Delroy Lindo. The movie starts moving from the get-go and
for the most part maintains a steady, crisp pace. Sure, alot of nonsensical fluff, but plenty of entertainment too. It kept me engrossed from start to finish.