Corman's World: Exploits Of A Hollywood Rebel Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
October 25, 2013
Roger Corman is the king of low budget cinema. He is responsible for exposing film fans to many of the industry's most legendary names such as Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson and Ron Howard. This is a must see documentary for cinema fans, even if you're not a fan of Corman's, just give it a shot because I think he's one of the most important figure in cinema. The film features great interview with the actors that have worked with him, directors that he's helped across the way and other directors that have been influenced by Corman's work. This is a well crafted documentary that is among the finest that I've seen in quite some time. The film takes a look at his cinematic legacy and his unique style in entertaining audiences. His films are a wonderful and his knack to entertain viewers is something special. As a fan of his work, I really enjoyed the film, and I think anyone that is interested in a forgotten part of film history might so too. The film is very entertaining and insightful and will definitely enjoy this documentary. If you enjoy documentaries, this is one worth seeing. The subject is very interesting, and is one that deserves more exposure. Over the course of his career, Roger Corman has made over 400 films ranging from a variety of genres. He is able to thrill audiences looking for something ridiculous and fun, with barely any budgets for his pictures. He is one of the few in the industry that understands that you can pull off something really good with some basic ideas. He also exposed us and launched the careers of some film legends, if you really want to watch a well made documentary about a great film icon, then this is for you.
July 29, 2012
I'm so glad a documentary like this exists. It perfectly represents the brilliance of Corman's passion, in that he never gives up and makes movies for the sheer joy of it. By tackling films with low budgets, he always comes out on top. Best of all, his films were the starting blocks for many huge talents such as Jack Nicholson. When Nicholson talks, you feel nothing but love and respect, when he breaks down into tears it's truly an open and beautiful moment of a man who usually keeps his cool. In other areas we get anecdotes of just how cheaply Corman makes his movies and how he has inspired many directors since. Most interesting of all is when it talks about Corman's more serious projects such as The Intruder. It is certainly a celebration of Corman and his finest achievements, though I wish it had gone into more detail as to why he hasn't directed in over 20 years, and covered more of his recent outputs as producer. You have to see this if you love film, and you'll certainly have plenty to stick on your watchlist.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
March 31, 2012
"Some men dream of conquering the world. Roger Corman created his own."

A documentary on DIY producer/director Roger Corman and his alternative approach to making movies in Hollywood.

REVIEW
½ November 10, 2011
Entertaining and informative. I loved all the clips from Corman's works, yet he is so prolific that this still only scratches the surface. It is interesting that the makers of this doc included quotes from those who have worked with Corman saying that the Academy doesn't award the sort of movies he makes (even though they are extremely popular) and then during the making of this doc Corman was honored with the lifetime achievement Oscar in 2009. The man has had a major influence in giving so many actors, writers and directors their start in Hollywood. It is obvious that all the stars who speak about their start in Corman's pictures love him. In a surprisingly heartfelt moment Jack Nicholson is even brought to tears. Corman has produced independently for decades, distributed several foreign language Oscar winners, and had to reinvent his company a number of times when drive-ins began disappearing, home video took over the market, and big budget blockbusters stole the type of genre flicks in which he used to specialize. Important for getting a fuller view of filmmaking history!
Harlequin68
½ December 18, 2011
"Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel" is an inspiring and entertaining documentary about the films of Roger Corman made during his very long and productive career as director and/or producer, specializing in monster and exploitation films.(The interviewees are honest about their lack of quality and admittedly, I have not seen many of his early films. Most of which I have seen are from his New World Pictures period during the 1970's which were in a constant rotation on HBO when I was growing up, thus explaining a lot.) With his low budget films, he has not only given the start to many filmmakers and actors(many of whom require no introduction) but also provided an education as to how make films cheaply outside of the system.(Ironically, he has also featured actors on their way down, too. Whatever works.) Even as the distribution model has changed from drive-ins to straight-to-video to the Syfy channel, he has never stopped working, as footage here shows him working on "Dinoshark" in Puerto Vallarta.

Part of what makes his working outside the studio system so important is tackling the material they were unwilling to handle, starting with making films that appealed to the underappreciated youth market in the 1950's. While there was much nudity in his films, he also opened up opportunities for women to fire machine guns. That social conscience would reach its peak with "The Intruder"(which I now want to see) starring William Shatner in his first starring role, about school integration in the south when it was especially timely in 1962. Therefore, a constant refrain in the documentary is that Corman could have made the transition to more prestigious movies(like he did with his Poe adaptations) but that way requires money which leads to compromise which usually means the studios and a lack of control and there are enough cautionary tales on display here to fill a multiplex.
June 23, 2015
Solid doc about Roger Corman. I'm not sure if I've seen any of his movies, but I've at least been aware of his role in Hollywood, especially in mentoring a good chunk of the directorial talent of the last 40 plus years. Seeing Jack Nicholson get choked up about Corman was the highlight of the film.
October 24, 2014
Great documentary about the life and career of the King of B-Movies, Roger Corman...a man who was a Hollywood rebel that made schlock films, then some great films, and then some more schlock...all the while helping to launch the careers of several of the most important filmmakers of the new Hollywood movement. His impact on cinema is pretty great, and it is far too often overlooked, but here is a film to inform all of those who don't know about Corman of his importance on cinema. The fact that Jack Nicholson is moved to tears just thinking about Corman's impact on his life pretty much says it all.
½ September 27, 2012
A fun and informative look at one-time Hollywood hack director, Roger Corman, who has lovingly been dubbed the King of the B's even though he has also had his fair share of highly respectable independent Hollywood hits such as Easy Rider and Hells Angels. Interviews with various former associates -- Jack Nicholson, Peter Bogdanovich, Ron Howard, Martin Scorsese, Peter Fonda, Pam Grier -- help depict Corman as a man who loves what he still does. As a man with no film-school experience, Corman learned the trade onset and has made over 250 films over this career ... many horribly bad but some quite good. With the arrival of big-budget sci-fi spectales like Star Wars and high-dollar horror flicks like Jaws, Corman's film niche disappeared as his films were always made on a measly budget and audiences wanted bigger and better. Even with his diminished career, though, Corman's friends and family in the business have never lost respect for the visionary director. This was insightful and a hoot ... some of his films were unbelievable! I wish I could find some of them. You have to love it when a person gets to spend his/her entire life doing what it is he/she loves.
July 16, 2012
A solid transfer of an affectionate, surprisingly moving ode to an increasingly neglected pioneer of American cinema.
½ June 26, 2012
This was really good doc on Roger Corman's career and if you like the insider stories on Hollywood this is a must see. I was really surprised at how many huge stars worked with or worked for Corman and how Corman helped shape thier careers and genre.
May 29, 2012
Really fun documentary looking at the man's career, filled with some impressive talent that he has worked with over the years like Nicholson, Scorcese, De Niro, etc. It's amazing the career the man has had, though it sadly calls it quits right as we get into the VHS craze of the '80s, showing little footage from this era.

That criticism aside, it's a great film and recommended.
½ May 14, 2012
Pretty interesting but it annoys me when documentaries spend so much time having stars telling me why the "greats" are great instead of showing my why they excel at their craft.
½ March 29, 2012
A documentary about a career of probably the most famous exploitation producer-director Roger Corman featuring interviews with lots of recognizable actors, directors and producers who came out of Corman's school. Unfortunately, as entertaining and well put together as it is, it' just merely glances over the topic and never really goes in depth with anything, instead focusing on how many famous people it can feature. It's a nice piece for someone who isn't familiar with Corman and his work though, and I hope it leads to more people seeing some of the movies that he put out.
If you're not familiar with Roger Corman or the early exploitation scene I would say CHECK IT OUT just to see where a lot of Hollywood's talent of the last 30 years has started.
May 12, 2014
This is a movie for people interested in making movies or want to be involved in movies should watch. You could learn a thing or two about this legend.
October 30, 2013
A nice retrospective, mostly of the first half of Corman's career.
½ July 27, 2014
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether this documentary is trying to make us watch or disregard Corman's eccentric work.
½ February 8, 2014
A superb documentary on a genuinely unique film-maker. Along with Woody Allen: A Documentary this is the best film I've seen about a one director. In truth this is probably better than any one film that Corman has made but he is about more than any one film. His body of work is extremely varied (in terms of genre, style and quality) and this film reflects the offbeat genius of his best work and the unashamed dreadfulness of his worst. The film clips sum up what is both good and bad about Corman's work, but it is clear that even his lesser works amount to something within the context of his filmography. The interviews with Corman himself portray a quiet and measured man. Not the character that you might associate with 'guerrilla film-making'. It is the interviews with friends and collaborators that ultimately make Corman's World an insightful and touching documentary. Martin Scorsese sounds like little more than a fan, his enthusiasm is infectious. Jack Nicholson's prickly cynicism in the early segments slowed cedes to full on admiration and actually culminates in a show of emotion that, like a great reveal, caught me so off guard that I nearly wept. Corman's World finished leaving me with a greater admiration for the man and his work.
½ February 22, 2014
Kind of a primer on Corman, rather than something that delves deep. But maybe I'm biased because I already knew a lot of this stuff already. Worth watching, but don't expect much i guess.
½ February 24, 2013
Conocer a Roger Corman es totalmente imprescindible para cualquier aficionado al cine y aqui podremos verle en todo su esplendor.