The Corporation Reviews

June 24, 2007
Shocking, effective, leftist, snarky and entertaining Canadian.
May 5, 2007
This movie will infuriate you, no matter which side of the debate you're on.
½ June 29, 2008
A well-made eye-opener documentary.
Gx7
½ September 19, 2010
Recommended
½ January 11, 2008
This is one of those rare, truly excellent documentaries that come around every once in a while that is utterly enrapturing and worthy of multiple viewings. The Corporation is exactly what it sounds like it would be: an examination of what we know as the "corporation". The film tackles the issue effectively from every angle; from establishing a clear understanding of what the corporation is, what it does, what powers it has or can have, and the impact is has had and is having on our world. Told through the intermingling of interviews with professionals on the subject (including some CEOs of corporations) and stock footage, along with some really clever editing and expert craftsmanship. Especially powerful is the segments with the CEO of the world's largest carpet manufacturer (his name escapes me) who has been part of the corporate world for a long time, and had an epiphany where he realized how his company, and others like his, are impacting the world around them by following the rules of the corporation strictly (as the film clearly defines, corporations are essentially required by law to maximize profit for their shareholders and ignore the implications of their reckless profiting), and he actively works to make a difference while continuing to head his company but with a new consideration for the world around him. This is simply a fantastic documentary, right up there with the best of them I've seen. A must-watch for everyone.
½ December 6, 2007
Watching this may make you sick, but it is important to see. Did you know that corporations count as people under the law? Neither did I until I saw this. It's creepy to see the extent to which laws are perverted and bent to accomodate the odious acts of greed that these 'people' pull off. It's not nice to see, but it's good to know.
April 12, 2007
A real powerhouse of a documentary that often provides disturbing insight into what corporations do.
Harlequin68
½ January 30, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"The Corporation" is an informative documentary about the past, the present and possibly the future - if we have one - of the corporation. By using case studies, the movie proves that infamous corporations such as Walmart and Enron are not exceptions to the rule; they are the rule. It uses talking heads - some familiar like Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Naomi Klein and Michael Moore - but also some less so which helps because these latter people(occasionally inside men) shed more light on corporate malfeasance. If the documentary has a fault, it is that there is too much information to cover in a feature film. [/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]I first heard about multinational corporations almost 20 years ago in college. The whole idea of a corporation is to make money for its shareholders. It is unscrupulous in its means and will often harm workers, customers, the environment while only making token efforts towards charity. Capitalism is shown not to help democracy because corporations prefer working with dictatorships which control the citizenry. This is especially true where companies exploit sweatshops in the Third World for cheaper products. The most egregious example of this was IBM working with the Nazis during World War II. [/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]There are signs of resistance, though. In several Latin American countries, lefitst and socialist candidates have been able to win presidential elections. On a smaller scale, we can organize into cooperatives. Overall, we have to work together to show how prices and wages are tied together. [/font]
January 23, 2008
Should be the first film shown in any course on Industrial Relations. It questions central ideals that we take for granted about corporations and the role they play in our lives.
½ May 21, 2006
The subject matter is fascinating, the film is gripping, but it is unnecessarily long.
½ April 26, 2007
A must see film. Informative, and although has a bias slant, also presents a wealth of information on the history, development and possible direction about the corporation in America. A powerful indictment of our society.
Blaster1618
September 13, 2010
I really had my sights set on a battle royal (or at least some juxtaposition) of Chompsky vs. Moore somewhere in this movie, but never happens. Their segments are definitely spaced apart in the movie. On the positive side is Ray Anderson CEO and Founder of the largest modular carpeting manufacturer in the world discusses his own and his corporations view on industrial ecology and sustainability. In the end the movie is 2/3 sentimental heart-string plucking with about a 1/3 of really good content.
August 10, 2008
A very important documentary because it touches on EVERYTHING that should be important to everyone - the environment, human rights, public health, justice, government, politics, etc. It's very educational and easy to watch - you learn a lot! The diversity of people interviewed was also great.
February 8, 2008
Boring editorial on how you should hate corporations. It's entirely one sided and shouldn't be taken too seriously. I saw this on my second date with my girlfriend, now wife, and despite a few interesting statements, we felt like it was an attempt to brainwash us. Trust me, I'm not a huge fan of corporations, but I don't need to be preached to by people who obviously want to make me hate them. It's obvious within the first couple of minutes that this film has an agenda, and then you can only sit back as they hit you over the head for the next 2 hours with their one sided arguments. Sure there are terrible corporations out there, but that doesn't meant they're all bad. That's like saying that you know a terrible man, so all men are terrible. Too bad, it would be interesting to see a real documentary on the state of corporations in North America today, the good with the bad.
½ August 7, 2011
Provides very necessary insight into the evolution of capitalism and corporations; exposes the wrongs of corporate citizenship and evasion of accountability.
½ June 15, 2011
Wonderful documentary that will infuriate anyone with a sense of fair play. Everyone in modern society should watch this.
May 13, 2009
Certainly one of the better independent films that I have ever seen, it is also one of the better documentaries that I have ever seen. Being currently unemployed, and giving a damn about who I work for, I yearn to go out and get a job with Interface!

Many ppl have said that this documentary was to long & that it dragged. Well, it did somewhat drag for me but, I think that has primarily to do with the fact that the speakers on my computer are messed up and I had to make do, while watching it right here on Flixster. It is over 2 & a 1/2 hours long, what with all of the Flixster-imposed commercials that they hold you hostage with & force you to sit threw but, I'm actually glad that it wasn't less than 2 hours, or that it was just an hour and a half long. Much of what was in this film would have been cut and that would, honestly, have made this film less, & perhaps much less, worth seeing! The various interviews with the various industry leaders, industry scientists, economists, activists, community organizers, etc., all from the various points of view, including what corporations are, what purpose they serve that is for the good of society, and how that purpose can be, and has become, perverted, and why that is possible and how that reality has played itself out was actually a refreshing look at the, sometimes putrid, reality that permeates western civilization, as well as in other civilizations around the world far removed from our own.

Two things that I think that this film lacked is one, a discussion on what to do about/how to deal with those, including corporations, that would, for example, throw in with Adolf Hitler to make money, more money, money, money money...

And two, as we progress into the 21st century & into the future at some point, if the human race lives long enough, we will make it to the moon; human beings will be living & working on the moon! IF...private industry is the driving force that takes us there will they be charging everything and everyone that goes to the moon $$$ just to exist on the moon??! Will there be corporations patenting the moon just because they made it there first, before anybody else was able to do so and make the first claim of ownership!? They dare to patent life, bc they say that they created it! Will they be able to patent the moon bc 'they were there first', supposedly...??

(The conspiracy theories that say that the moon landings were a hoax by NASA are nothing but a big pile of manure, perpetuated by a few morons living in their grandparents basement who have a deeply paranoid hatred of gov't, and specifically the US federal gov't.. but, I wouldn't put it passed the corporations to try and prove that fallacy as true in an attempt to gain control over something that they truly have no right to control, or own, AT ALL!!!)

What happens when we go to Mars and then further, when we start to mine the asteroids that float throughout our solar system!?

Hopefully, this documentary won't be the last documentary that we see on this subject...
October 15, 2008
The shit, plain and simple. Want to see a film blatently step on the toes of laissez-faire economists and bussiness people? Or how about understanding globilization? This documentary does it best.
½ June 30, 2008
I thought I was going to get bored b/c it's 2 1/2 hours long, but it was a damned interesting documentary.
May 21, 2007
This says the corporation is legally considered a person and that person is psychotic lol. Very thought provoking. A little bit biased.