Critic Review - Chicago Sun-Times

A flawlessly directed film about enigmatic people who speak in morose epigrams about vague universal principles they show no sign of understanding.

August 23, 2012 Full Review Source: Chicago Sun-Times | Comments (10)
Chicago Sun-Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Beren Erchamion

Beren Erchamion

I don't agree with you Mr Ebert. It's not the first time, though it is the first time when you belittled the film what I liked very much. The usual way is you upvalue the films to me.

Aug 23 - 10:42 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

I'll inform the president.

Sep 27 - 04:50 PM

Gabriele Cookstown

Gabriele Cookstown

Roger Ebert is in love with Kristen Steward. I expected nothing else from him

Aug 25 - 09:49 AM

Robert T.

Robert T

I thought you were an intelligent person! I ´m very disappointend

Aug 26 - 10:46 AM

Charles Kieser

Charles Kieser

So an intelligent person is someone who agrees with you?

Aug 26 - 10:57 AM

Berli N.

Berli Nese

I'm disappointend too!

Aug 26 - 04:46 PM

Berli N.

Berli Nese

Do you were truly objective, Mr. Ebert ??? I don't think so!

Aug 26 - 04:45 PM

Giulia R.

Giulia R.

What??? You don't liked this movie??? Really?
Cosmopolis was really mind blowing and crazy and awesome.

Aug 26 - 04:58 PM

Gabriele Cookstown

Gabriele Cookstown

l loved Cosmopolis....every scene was a building block for the finale with Benno

Aug 27 - 04:43 AM

xMrGrimmx

Jesse Hornick

Damn, I was hoping for at least a 2.5... Oh well at least it was still a 2/4 and didn't make it into his "your movie sucks" column.

Sep 18 - 08:44 PM

Daniel Valentin

Daniel Valentin

I totally agree with you, Mr. Ebert, and that fills me with glee, since I'm an amateur reviewer with a blog and I was just going to review this movie. This movie exists in some sort of dimension where a neurotic robot with no connection to humanity can become a multi-billionaire. The character of Eric Packer shows a disturbing disconnect to the average man that would be impossible for a man who, like the movie points out, created his company out of humble beginnings. He shows puzzlement at regular human interaction, and he supposedly has an animal magnetism that makes people respect him, but comes across more as "I'm putting up with your crap cause you sign my paycheck." The main character is simply impossible to sympathize or identify with, people like that don't exist.

The movie, supposedly, is a nod to the Occupy Movement, but even the rioters that represent the movement are more like animals than smart people protesting their rights. They throw dead rats inside restaurants, vandalize indiscriminately and even SET THEMSELVES ON FIRE, Vietnamese monk-style, which I found intensely distasteful. And the riots are anarchist riots numbering in thousands of protestors. I don't think there's thousands of anarchists in the United States as a whole, let alone New York. The movie basically turned the Occupy Movement into cartoon mad bombers.

I don't even need to go into the economics involved in the movie, either. Companies have armies of economists to lessen the effects of bad business decisions, as well as investors and shareholders who will take control if the owner of the company is taking it towards ruin. The movie would have greatly benefited from a consultant to gauge the plausibility of the movie's events.

I'm a huge fan of David Cronenberg, but his last two movies have been duds, IMHO. A Dangerous Method I found lifeless and dull, and this movie I found downright infuriating.

Oct 11 - 11:30 AM