Cottage Country Reviews

August 24, 2014
I did like the way it ended. It was terribly funny, and I found it hard to connect to the characters.
½ May 17, 2014
I was hoping it was something like Tucker and Dale And they do throw some things in there for you if you are hoping for that too. What can go wrong will, to epic proportions.
½ August 23, 2013
Really liked this one. A romantic getaway where the guy is going to propose to his girlfriend gets crashed by his brother. His brother completely ruins his time and becomes hostile. The dude accidentally kills his brother and then his girlfriend decides they have to kill his girlfriend too. It gets completely out of control and there is a lot of guilt from the brother, who starts to see his dead brother. The girl doesn't care and becomes horrible only wanting to get married... good movie. different ending than I would expect. And a lot more drama than comedy.
February 26, 2015
Loved it! Hilarious and well written. I would seriously rank this as one of my favorite comedies. Casting was perfect, storyline believable, and the ending was right on! Would recommend to anyone who likes dark comedies.
½ June 23, 2014
This movie got better by the minuet ! Full of suspense, laughs and unexpected twists..
½ June 2, 2014
Monday, June 2, 2014

(2013) Cottage Country
PSYCOLOGICAL COMEDY DRAMA THRILLER

Straight-to-rental movie with devoted, working stiff, Todd Chipowski (Tyler Labine) planning a nice quiet getaway from his stressful job with a pre-planned marriage proposal to his fiancÚ, Cammie Ryan (Malin Akerman) at the secluded cottage. Except that things are not going accordingly to plan as soon as his obnoxiously loudmouth, inconsiderate brother shows up along with his hooker-looking girlfriend resorting him to do very extreme things.

The dark comedy aspects is unfunny and lousy, with the end of this movie making zero sense, and so is this movie.

Bomb
April 16, 2014
This is a strange movie. Its got a great cast but the script is hit and miss (mostly miss), and the direction is what it is...a made for Canadian cable flick. Its also quite bloody and violent...which is a bit of a surprise.
February 28, 2014
85%

VERY BAD THINGS in the cabin.
February 22, 2014
One line summary: Poor acting and screenplay defeat beautiful lakefront scenery.

---------------------------

Cammie is pleased to find an engagement ring when going through her boyfriend Todd's things before a special trip. He gets delayed by his boss putting in a last minute requirement that ruins his Friday. They leave late for their trip.

Todd and Cammie get to the cottage that his parents own. They think they will be alone, but Todd's brother Salinger shows up with Masha. Cammie insists that Todd gets Salinger to leave. While Cammie and Masha are out collecting mushrooms, Salinger will not be convinced with words. So he and Todd get into a fight that ends with Todd killing Salinger.

Cammie and Todd have a rather earnest discussion. She's 34 and does not want to wait for Todd to get out of jail or wait to find another man suitable to father her children. So she convinces him to kill Masha, which does not go too smoothly.

Todd forgets to tell Cammie about Salinger's plans to invite some people over. When Cammie and Todd get back from his formal proposal to Cammie on the island that she insisted on, the 'some people' have arrived, and turns out to be a full scale party.

Some of the party goers are very interested in where Salinger is.

Will Cammie and Todd, with their meager skills at deceit, be able to stay out of jail?

-----Scores------

Cinematography: 10/10 Really good in both daylight and in dark scenes. Beautiful scenery.

Sound: 8/10 OK.

Acting: 3/10 Malin Akerman and Tyler Labine I did not believe for a second. Lucy Punch was just irritating. Dan Petronijevic I could have done without, completely.

Screenplay: 3/10 Was this supposed to be funny? Fail. Was this supposed to be a a reasonable crime procedural? Not even close. Was it an action film? Well, no. There is perhaps one fight in the film. The plus 3 is for the well deserved ending.
½ February 16, 2014
Everyone involved with the filming and distribution of this film should be subjected to a public flogging!
February 1, 2014
A Macbeth inspired thriller that meets expectations for modern horror.
January 25, 2014
I guess because it's a horror/comedy, and the usually funny Labine is in it, I was expecting the next Tucker and Dale. Instead, what I got was a misguided and not very funny attempt at an original horror/comedy that falls flat and fails to impress.
½ August 14, 2013
Serviceable gruesome comedy.
½ July 7, 2013
2.5/5 It had it's moments and some very funny parts, but it just wasn't all there. Worth a watch.
July 4, 2013
Believe it or not, this movie had potential. I would rate this movie slightly below average. The pace of the movie slowed a little during the middle, but if you hang in it will get better. With a few modifications to the script, this could have been a decent movie. Not a bad concept for a movie, just needed to be reworked. Some people may enjoy it.