Country Strong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Country Strong Reviews

November 12, 2010
A very weak movie. The casting was ok. Slow moving.
June 25, 2011
Surprisingly enjoyable! The same can be said about Paltrow's singing voice....
March 15, 2015
Filled with emotion and solid acting. Some story pot holes and a disappointing lack luster ending for what could have been a strong movie. The idea was there, the execution was rocky. Still an enjoyable watch if you can look past its flaws.
½ February 20, 2015
Not the best screenplay and the plot is nothing too bright, but it keeps you engaged and Gwyneth's performance reminded me why she's one of my favorites.
½ August 30, 2014
Country Strong is a decent film. It is about a rising country-music songwriter works with a fallen star to work their way fame, causing romantic complications along the way. Gwyneth Paltrow and Tim McGraw is give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Shana Feste did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the music and drama.
August 27, 2014
It doesn't matter where you've been as long as you come back strong.
Kelly Canter est une chanteuse de country très populaire dont le mari et manager interrompt la cure de désintoxication pour partir en tournée et ainsi maintenir sa notoriété. Elle accepte à la condition d'avoir en première partie Beau Hutton, son parrain de désintox et amant. Elle devra aussi composer avec le choix de première partie de James Canter : la reine de beauté Chiles Stanton à l'assurance encore chancelante. Tout ce petit monde va devoir cohabiter le temps de la tournée.
L'histoire est certes classique (tiens, un musicien alcoolique qui lutte contre ses démons...) mais nous quittons l'univers habituel du rock pour faire place à celui de la country, genre largement inconnu en Europe. Gwyneth Paltrow incarne avec justesse cette chanteuse anéantie par un drame personnel, qui cherche à regagner l'amour de son mari tout en s'y prenant complètement à l'envers. Le grooos problème est qu'on n'a absolument aucune sympathie pour cette Kelly. L'alcool est ce qui lui a causé la perte de son bébé et elle replonge dedans comme si ça allait aider cette fois. Elle est hyper jalouse quand son mari engage une jeune chanteuse, mais elle ne se gêne pas pour coucher avec tout ce qui passe. Et que dire de ses chansons hypocrites, où elle clame être forte...
½ July 16, 2014
It's watchable,.But it's the kind of sappy/crappy stuff that makes having constant conversation with some women difficult for a long period of time,.Junior high mentality stuff y'know?
½ July 10, 2014
I really enjoyed it! I think Gwyneth has a great voice, some great music to accompany a sad story.
½ January 21, 2011
Umm Gwynnie and Garrett? Hells to the yeah!
February 24, 2014
If the intent of this film was for me to walk away thinking there was not ONE likeable character in that entire movie, then Country Strong did it's job. Through out my entire 1 hour and 52 minutes with this film I could not find one thing to like. To be fair the acting isn't bad, it's that the characters that the actors are trying to portray are just so.....stupid. There is something that happens at the end of the movie that is supposed to pull at your heartstrings, but when this happened I just said "Thank God this movie is over!"
February 22, 2014
Better then expected. Had a lot of modern country music.
February 7, 2011
Surprise! I liked it. So much drama, but the ending made it worth it. The country music was sometimes bearable because the pop-country was catchy. "Tennessee and Me" and "Word's I Couldn't Say" were great.
½ October 2, 2013
March 19, 2013
i don't care that it has some cliche themes in it, this movie was surprisingly dramatic? i guess, for me. It was good and a little different than what the trailer suggets
November 17, 2013
Country Strong is an movie of an famous person that fights for her dreams.
½ January 6, 2013
...a film that is not just rare but also showcases great performances from its talented main casts. It could still get a little better but I was entertained way more than enough.
½ October 21, 2013
A bit predictable in places, but some of what happens at the end wasn't expected.
October 5, 2013
I don't really know the last time when I enjoyed a movie this much, but I really enjoyed it. Country Strong made you fall in love. I fell in love with the music, I fell in love with the characters, I fell in love with the actors.
I have never found Gwyneth Paltrow to be a good actress, but I'm glad that I was pleasantly surprised by her in this one. I didn't get irritated by her, or anyone else for that matter. I just saw it from start to finish without having anything to complain on.
The soundtrack was astonishing, the music gave me goosebumps. This movie managed to appeal to me from the first sentence until the very end and the amazing music and lyrics was definitely the icing on the cake.
½ January 16, 2011
This doesn't seem like something I should like, but I really enjoyed it. The music was surprisingly good traditional country instead of the modern pop version (perhaps with the exception of the lead character). The relationships were strong, and a bit miserable... which seems likely of the toxic environment of super-stardom.