Country Strong Reviews

starlett2005 starlett2005 ½ August 30, 2014
Country Strong is a decent film. It is about a rising country-music songwriter works with a fallen star to work their way fame, causing romantic complications along the way. Gwyneth Paltrow and Tim McGraw is give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Shana Feste did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the music and drama.
Perrine B August 27, 2014
It doesn't matter where you've been as long as you come back strong.
Kelly Canter est une chanteuse de country très populaire dont le mari et manager interrompt la cure de désintoxication pour partir en tournée et ainsi maintenir sa notoriété. Elle accepte à la condition d'avoir en première partie Beau Hutton, son parrain de désintox et amant. Elle devra aussi composer avec le choix de première partie de James Canter : la reine de beauté Chiles Stanton à l'assurance encore chancelante. Tout ce petit monde va devoir cohabiter le temps de la tournée.
L'histoire est certes classique (tiens, un musicien alcoolique qui lutte contre ses démons...) mais nous quittons l'univers habituel du rock pour faire place à celui de la country, genre largement inconnu en Europe. Gwyneth Paltrow incarne avec justesse cette chanteuse anéantie par un drame personnel, qui cherche à regagner l'amour de son mari tout en s'y prenant complètement à l'envers. Le grooos problème est qu'on n'a absolument aucune sympathie pour cette Kelly. L'alcool est ce qui lui a causé la perte de son bébé et elle replonge dedans comme si ça allait aider cette fois. Elle est hyper jalouse quand son mari engage une jeune chanteuse, mais elle ne se gêne pas pour coucher avec tout ce qui passe. Et que dire de ses chansons hypocrites, où elle clame être forte...
Paul G ½ July 16, 2014
It's watchable,.But it's the kind of sappy/crappy stuff that makes having constant conversation with some women difficult for a long period of time,.Junior high mentality stuff y'know?
Sandra M ½ July 10, 2014
I really enjoyed it! I think Gwyneth has a great voice, some great music to accompany a sad story.
guachinangoferoz guachinangoferoz ½ January 21, 2011
Umm Gwynnie and Garrett? Hells to the yeah!
Neal P February 24, 2014
If the intent of this film was for me to walk away thinking there was not ONE likeable character in that entire movie, then Country Strong did it's job. Through out my entire 1 hour and 52 minutes with this film I could not find one thing to like. To be fair the acting isn't bad, it's that the characters that the actors are trying to portray are just so.....stupid. There is something that happens at the end of the movie that is supposed to pull at your heartstrings, but when this happened I just said "Thank God this movie is over!"
Jeff T February 22, 2014
Better then expected. Had a lot of modern country music.
Stephanie H February 7, 2011
Surprise! I liked it. So much drama, but the ending made it worth it. The country music was sometimes bearable because the pop-country was catchy. "Tennessee and Me" and "Word's I Couldn't Say" were great.
Mario B. Mario B. ½ October 2, 2013
Not the best screenplay and the plot is nothing too bright, but it keeps you engaged and Gwyneth's performance reminded me why she's one of my favorites.
Amanda T March 19, 2013
i don't care that it has some cliche themes in it, this movie was surprisingly dramatic? i guess, for me. It was good and a little different than what the trailer suggets
Ryan A November 17, 2013
Country Strong is an movie of an famous person that fights for her dreams.
Mark James A ½ January 6, 2013
...a film that is not just rare but also showcases great performances from its talented main casts. It could still get a little better but I was entertained way more than enough.
Siobhan G ½ October 21, 2013
A bit predictable in places, but some of what happens at the end wasn't expected.
mojo00 mojo00 October 5, 2013
I don't really know the last time when I enjoyed a movie this much, but I really enjoyed it. Country Strong made you fall in love. I fell in love with the music, I fell in love with the characters, I fell in love with the actors.
I have never found Gwyneth Paltrow to be a good actress, but I'm glad that I was pleasantly surprised by her in this one. I didn't get irritated by her, or anyone else for that matter. I just saw it from start to finish without having anything to complain on.
The soundtrack was astonishing, the music gave me goosebumps. This movie managed to appeal to me from the first sentence until the very end and the amazing music and lyrics was definitely the icing on the cake.
Darlene M ½ January 16, 2011
This doesn't seem like something I should like, but I really enjoyed it. The music was surprisingly good traditional country instead of the modern pop version (perhaps with the exception of the lead character). The relationships were strong, and a bit miserable... which seems likely of the toxic environment of super-stardom.
Angelina C ½ August 23, 2010
A strong casts does not necessary make a great movie. A garbled plot awarded me a tedious, flat movie experience. Country weak perhaps.
Charles W. Charles W. May 27, 2013
I usually find RT's critic ratings to be spot on but sometimes, as in this case, they are simply way off the mark. For sure the film is not Casablanca, and there are indeed plot weaknesses, but this is a sensitive and convincing account of the highs and lows of pursuing professional music in any context. I know several professional / semi-pro musicians and they tend to have lives full of contradictions and complications which all seem to resolve for a few golden hours when they perform.

I thought the script was generally good with few wasted words. It's often what's NOT said that makes this watchable - clearly the Hedlund and Paltrow characters have crossed the line beyond 'sponsorship' but this is not shoved in our faces, and the details are cleverly left unresolved. The scene with the leukaemia boy is heavily criticised but I found it totally straightforward - it gives Kelly a bittersweet moment to remember that her disastrous marital and addiction problems are actually less than those of some others, and she is able, for a few minutes, to find her original 'pre-star' self and the first innocence of her relationship with McGraw's character.

I also found that the effect of the film depends on listening with high-quality sound or headphones - I would defy even non-country lovers not to be moved by the genuine quality of the live-performed music, for example in the early scene where Hedlund rescues Meester; just watching the band playing actually gave me goosebumps...

RT gives Premium Rush 76% - I'm not a dispatch rider but I found that film totally forgettable - and compared to this the 22% for Country Strong is ridiculous.
Samantha H May 12, 2013
Garrett Hedlund's best performance! His voice is stunningly amazing! The soundtrack for this film is beautiful! All round this is a spectacular film that surrounds a heartfelt story with country music. loved it!
Holly H September 11, 2011
I thought this movie had a lot of potential but didn't quite meet it. I felt like a lot of it was more melodramatic, than dramatic. I did love the cast. I felt like Tim McGraw showed some great acting chops in this. And, I'm not a country-music superfan but loved the music. Garrett Hedlund, yea .. he could sing to me all day. In the end though, the movie was predictable .. and melodramatic, down to the big concert ... could've been a good movie .. but just wasn't there.