NOVA - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

NOVA Reviews

October 23, 2013
This PBS documentary Started out interesting with history of the Maya people, but seemed to get bogged down. Maybe because it became more focused or maybe just because it is NOVA. Brutal bastards.
½ June 29, 2012
This documentary about the Mayan culture and language is quite interesting. The writing of the Mayans was nearly wiped out by the Spanish. With only a few documents and recently discovered temples the last several decades have unraveled a writing that was thought to be extinct. The most interesting thing about it is the artistic style that is able to be added to the writing. It definitely took some smart people to crack it and afterwards it's opened up some of the most incredible stories of the Western Hemisphere. If you like historic documentaries, you should check this out.
September 25, 2009
I found this to be an engrossing documentary. I knew very little about Mayan language; at least, I knew a lot less than I thought I did. This film delves into the fascinating history of how a series of dedicated archeologists and linguists finally learned to read the Mayan written symbology, previously considered to be nearly indecipherable.
October 23, 2013
½ June 29, 2012
January 5, 2012
Discussed how the code was cracked. Logograms can be found in Maya & Chinese.

Abrupt loss of culture due to the Spanish Inquisition
½ May 2, 2011
Really not what I expected. Didn't learn anything new:-(
½ July 23, 2010
This documentary is basically and literally on the journey to how the Mayan code was deciphered. And only that, no extras.
September 25, 2009