Total Recall: Jeff Bridges' Best Movies

Summary

Not even a family tree full of dramatic DNA automatically adds up to the kind of talent Jeff Bridges has displayed over the course of his nearly 40-year career. Bridges has gone on to score five Oscar nods -- his most recent nomination, for Crazy Heart, was awarded just this week -- all while assembling one of the more interesting, and critically successful, filmographies in the business. So successful, in fact, that Bridges' top six films all boast Tomatometers above 90 percent -- which is a roundabout way of saying that you can't have a Jeff Bridges Top 10 without leaving out plenty of good stuff -- in the interest of getting the chorus of groans out of the way up front, you won't find The Big Lebowski, Tron, or The Contender here. So what does that leave? Let's spin the dials on the Tomatometer and find out! Back to Article

Comments

Launy The Schwartz

Launy Schwartz

Tron? I grew up on and it's still amazing. And then, there's THE BIG LEBOWSKI!!! Are you guys on better drugs than the Dude? Seriously, he is more commonly identified as his Dudeness than any other character he has played in his whole career. Let's just say that role ties his whole career together.

Feb 3 - 09:03 PM

Bobby T.

Bobby Thorne

this is a travesty man! i mean he was the dude, there should be an exception for the big lebowski regardless of what it was rated

Feb 3 - 09:15 PM

Jay Trotter

Micah Loving

no Fearless and no Cutter's Way is all types of bull****.

Feb 3 - 10:11 PM

Marc R.

Marc Rondeau

I was surprised to see Arlington road only has a 60 percent rating. I find it to be highly entertaining and very re-watchable which is rare for suspense movies

Feb 3 - 10:16 PM

SilentSamurai

steven medvec

Hahaha! never read! that leads to things...terrible things.

Feb 3 - 10:38 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

Why isn't Crazy Heart on here?

Feb 3 - 11:39 PM

Leviathan987

Lee Guthrie

No Lebowski = EPIC fail.

Feb 3 - 11:41 PM

MADDAZ

Darren Anderson

As soon as I saw RT had done a Jeff Bridges best movies the first movie that popped into my head was The Big Lebowski. It seems a bit odd that Lebowski and Tron have been omitted.

Feb 3 - 11:58 PM

cinemascribe

Duane Ullery

I'm less surprised by the omission of The Big Lebowski or TRON than I am about the absence of Starman, a terrific sci-fi departure for John Carpenter which netted Bridges an Academy Award nomination for his performance as the titular character.

(I'm also surprised that Starman is at 78% on RT. I'd have guessed at least 85%).

Feb 4 - 12:30 AM

Anthony B.

Anthony Bosco

Absolutely, the Big Lewbowski should be at the top of this list. And where are Starman and The Contender? some pretty big ommissions on this one.

Feb 4 - 03:29 AM

Freudian Nightmare

Martin Andersson

If this isn't a proof that most critics are f*uckheads, I don't know what is.

Feb 4 - 03:39 AM

Darryl L.

Darryl Laramy

oh maaaaaan, wheres stick it???? Not cool lol

Feb 4 - 05:49 AM

DKUK

Derrick Wong

What!!! How dare RT!!! No Tron. How can that possibly be? It's a complete and utter (and any other adjective or adverb that is suitable) travesty. I find it completely offensive that it is not on the list. If someone doesn't place it into the Top 10 then......ooooohhhh, it's all about Tomatometer. I should open my eyes. LOL

Feb 4 - 05:58 AM

Jerry P.

Jerry Pecks

Yeah I read the intro, but I'm still gonna *****. While these are all fine films, doing a Jeff Bridges Best-Of list and not including The Big Lebowski is retarded. What's next, a Tom Hanks list with no Forrest Gump?

Feb 4 - 06:30 AM

slartibart

Chris Sullivan

Why does the fact that they state up front that Lebowski isn't on the list mean people can't complain about it? That makes no sense.

Feb 4 - 06:44 AM

Silver Screen Stalker

Matt Leyshon

This list showcases how long he has actually been making movies......it may surprise a few.

My two favorite roles of his were The Dude (of course), and Jack Lucas in the Fisher King.

Great actor......and here's hoping he finally is rewarded with an Oscar, an Oscar he has earned this year and others, and not a pity-trophy.

Feb 4 - 06:49 AM

Silver Screen Stalker

Matt Leyshon

Feb 4 - 06:50 AM

drew g.

drew gordon

Ummmmm....what about Star Man? His only other Oscar nod...I believe. Add me in for Lebowski...how can you not mention it?

Feb 4 - 06:57 AM

Rob M.

Rob M

The lists are actually never "mind boggling", it's very cut and dry...they are based simply on Tomatometer ratings

Feb 4 - 07:13 AM

Monkeyfist

Andrew Schmitz

You should be ashamed RT. If your heaping praise on actors for their roles (Robin Williams for a Golden Globe for Awkenings????) How about mentioning Mercedes Ruehl who actually WON and OSCAR for the movie Fisher King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 4 - 07:22 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast