Creepshow 2 Reviews

½ June 15, 2015
Not an extremely satisfying fallow-up, but i've seen worse!
April 7, 2015
A lack of genuine horror, not to mention a lack of stories, make this a disappointment to its much needed predecessor.
April 5, 2015
Watch it for The Raft.
February 7, 2015
Not nearly as good as the first one with stories that seemed to be made in a hurry.
½ April 14, 2013
Creepshow 2 has a good start and a surprisingly DEAD End. Not even close to how memorable the original was and instead of 5 horror stories this is included by 3 and the first one happens to be the only relief from this big mess. Creepshow 2 is just a big disappointment. My rating : 30%
½ October 28, 2014
This movie terrified me as a kid but not anymore. It is cheesy and not scary.
October 23, 2014
It was surprisingly pretty good for the most part. I thought the first segment was half decent with the Old Chief statue. The Raft segment was really good and had some pretty cool kills. The Hitchhiker segment was easily the best one. The interplays with animation was alright, it didn't really go anywhere once it ends. Overall a much better movie than I thought it was going to be.
½ October 13, 2014
"Thanks for the ride lady." Don't watch this, just don't.
October 13, 2014
I didn't do an in-depth review of the original Creepshow, where I go over every short in a little mini-review, and I won't do the same for this one. The original Creepshow actually deserved a more in-depth review, where I look at every short individually, but I just didn't do it for one reason or another. Laziness perhaps. The reason I won't do an individual review for each short in THIS sequel is because the movie is so much worse than the original Creepshow, that there's not even much that I can sink my teeth on to actually review. While the original film still had its inconsistencies, given that it is an anthology film, I still think the film focuses on the higher end of King short stories, only two were used for the original film, King wrote three others specifically for the film. Because of that, even the shorts that weren't that good to begin with, like the short that Stephen King himself acted in, still had a bit of a campy charm that made watching them a lot of fun. This time over, in my opinion, other than the last short, called The Hitchhiker, they chose some of the lesser known Stephen King stories to focus on. I know horror geeks revere Stephen King, as well they should, his influence on horror, in all its forms, will never be forgotten. But let's be honest and say that not every one his short stories was a winner. There's nothing wrong with that, as prolific as a writer as King has been, he's bound to have a couple of stinkers, I think even he would admit this...and two of those stinkers made their way on here. The film moves at a much quicker pace, given the fact that there's only 3 stories profiled and it only comes out to 89 minutes long, including the lame animated segments in between the shorts. So this movie will come and go fairly quickly, I have to give them that at least. But there's just something lacking from this film. While the first movie certainly paid tribute to the horror comics Stephen King grew up reading, it was also a lot of fun to watch because of its dark humor and just sheer energy. The first Creepshow is an absolute blast. It's al This film, while still having some lame gallows humor from the Creep, has just had its life and personality sucked out from under it. Being that that was such a big part of why the original film was so good, making a sequel without that same personality was really a big letdown. I'm assuming they just didn't have the same budget and had to make do with what they had, but still, it's a big disappointment. The first short, with the wooden Indian statue outside the general store was pretty lame. The statue kills some dudes that killed the old people that own the store. The gore isn't particularly that good either. The second short, The Raft, wasn't really any better. These teens get stuck on a raft where they then get killed by this strange oil slick monster that looks like it's a bunch of plastic bags stitched together. The gore is a bit of an improvement there, but nothing to write home about and this ends up being another incredibly lame segment. I'm kinda glad that they saved the best short for last, but it's almost pointless by the time you get there. You already know what you think of the movie, and one great short isn't gonna change that. But, goddamnit, did The Hitchhiker really try to change your perception of this film's overall quality. The story is practically nonexistent, if we're being honest. It's about this woman, on her way home, who accidentally hits a guy, and kills, with her car. She drives off, fearing the consequences. She starts to debate whether she should go back or if she'll turn herself in to the police if she can't take the guilt. After this she sees the guy she just hit and he's completely fucked up from the initial hit. Every time she thinks she's finally rid of the guy, he comes back looking even worse, and it keeps on going like that until the end. To be honest, if it wasn't for the gore effects, which were outstanding, this wouldn't have been much either. But I think the short itself was so gleefully violent that it did somewhat elevate the film, which I would've given a much lower rating if it wasn't for The Hitchhiker. I honestly think that I would've given the film 1 star, if it wasn't for the last segment of the film. Story-wise, it wasn't great, but the gore was pretty incredible. I think that should, at the very least, receive some appreciation even if the rest of the film absolutely blew. To be honest, I expected this film to have a much lower audience reaction than 40%. But here's the thing, that 40% isn't people who gave the film 3 stars. That's 40% of people who gave the film 3.5 stars or more. That is impossible for me to believe. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinions and allowed to reach their own conclusions of a film, but I can't imagine 40% of people actually thinking that this was 3.5 stars, or better. And Cabin Fever: Patient Zero, a film that isn't as bad as the professional reviews point out, only got 13% of users to give it 3.5 stars or more. I wouldn't ever given Patient Zero 3.5 stars, but it was much better than it had any right to be. I realize I gave this film and Patient Zero the same rating, but that is deceptive. Creepshow 2 got one star added to its rating because its last segment was so much better than the first two turds we were given. For all intents and purposes, this would've been a 1 star film if it wasn't for the copious amounts of gore in The Hitchhiker. I felt Patient Zero was a solid two stars from beginning to end, it wasn't a film that hinged on its climax or anything like that, which Creepshow 2 did. That's why it's incredibly deceptive. Long diatribe out of the way, this movie is pretty terrible. It just looks really cheap, like it was filmed for a low-tier premium cable network that needed content to fill in airtime, it just has that look. If you're intent on watching this, then just watch the last segment and then turn it off. Don't bother with the animated bullshit either, it's terrible as well. Hugely disappointed, it isn't even so bad that it's charming, like something from a bygone era, like so many 80s horror films. Please watch the first Creepshow instead, you'll have so much more fun.
August 14, 2011
Stephen King and Romero are back for more tales of terror hosted by 'The Creep', again the film is bookended by a short story that starts off as live action but then transforms into that eerie cartoon style that looks so good in the Creepshow films.

The stories again are a mixed bag this time not with quite as great a cast line up as before but we do have George Kennedy this time.

First up is a story of an old wooden Indian Chief statue coming to life to get revenge on the youths who killed the old owners of a general store where the Indian is on display. Kennedy is in this story and it is a good one with a nice revenge plot but it is predictable, nice effects on the wooden Chief though.

Second story is slightly better than the first with a group of teens stuck on a raft in the middle of a lake because an oil slick type monster that is devouring them one by one. Nice spooky idea that, despite the monster looking like a flat pancake floating on the water, works well especially effects wise when the teens are sucked under by the creature.

Last story is the weakest and simply involves a woman hitting a hitchhiker with her car and the hitcher coming back to haunt her for the rest of her journey. Pretty lame predictable plot which must have inspired 'I What You Did Last Summer'.

A slightly better selection of short stories over the original minus the good cast but still nothing really outstanding or as memorable as 'Twilight' or 'Darkside', still I must admit I like this old Creepshow flicks very much, love that 80's US Halloween style.
½ September 5, 2014
A huge step down from the first film. Many things contribute to this. The budget is significantly lower, but what really harms this one is the reduction in the number of stories. Three so-so stories are stretched out far longer than their threadbare plots justify. Each becomes tedious before they can get to their predictable punchlines. The pulpy approach of the first film is replaced with a serious tone that isn't justified by the silly stories. Finally, while Tom Savini looks good in his Creep make-up, the animation that makes up most of the between story segments is cheap and shoddy. Not a complete waste of time, but a serious let-down.
½ August 17, 2014
Another anthology (similar to Tales From the Crypt [and other Amicus releases], Monster Club, Trilogy of Terror, etc) horror films. The best of the three stories is the one penned by Stephen King, "The Raft" about an "oil slick which has trapped some teens on raft in the middle of a swimming pond. The stories are held together by interstitial cartoon bits. Not as good as the first.
½ August 16, 2014
While lacking the tongue-in-cheek approach and humor of the first film, and thus essentially its charm, this sequel does for the most part succeed in its more serious approach even though its second and third story both have at least one unlikable character and the cartoon portions in between its three stories are uninteresting and honestly quite awful.
½ July 19, 2014
Despite the cheap production values and the subpar animation that serves as the comics-come-to-life wrap-around thread, this is a very amusing collection of three competent stories, with the first one being only average and the following two more interesting and entertaining.
½ July 6, 2014
These stories are not as good as the original, with the big exception of the last one, which is by far my favorite. Again if you like the short story format then you will like this. Even for those who like this format it may be boring, so if you really don't like it skip to the last story.
June 11, 2014
You know it won't be quite as good from the very opening when the Creep shows up and it feels more like an episode of Goosebumps than a sequel to one of the best horror movies ever made. The first segment is boring and the most forgettable of the entire movie. The same could be said about the first movie as well, but with only three stories in this sequel there really shouldn't be any stories that feel like filler. The second story, The Raft, is the best by far. It's actually one of the better stories between this and the first movie. It is the only reason this movie may even be worth watching. The final story is strange. It starts off alright and turns almost into a comedy. It feels as if the movie had given up. The movie ends with the bookend story where a kid gets revenge on bullies by having giant venus flytraps eat them. This is actually kind of disturbing and shows why they decided to go with the animated route. No way were they getting away with that live action. The way the kids scream is actually kind of disturbing and feels like it doesn't have a place in this movie. It's just a very bizarre mix of emotions because it feels too comical and cartoonish, but it's truly the only part of the movie that feels horrifying. Probably would have been best on the cutting room floor, but that can be said for most of this movie.
½ May 3, 2014
I vaguely remember these movies as a kid but there is a nice nostalgia factor going on here. Plus it's short, so no draggin' and the cheesiness is pretty amusing. I'd love to see this riffed by those Mystery Science guys.
April 12, 2014
I used to be scared of this film but now it's not that bad. The animation of the creep is more interactive to the audience and less scary and more good story telling than the first one.
March 30, 2014
exactly what you would expect.
February 6, 2014
It's not as funny as the original, and relies more on the horror genre, though it can't seem to provoke enough thrills to get you through.