Cries and Whispers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cries and Whispers Reviews

February 4, 2016
A masterpiece film by Bergman that explores human relations, family secrets, and disturbing characters in this story.
January 5, 2016
To say I completely understood this movie would be a lie, but there's enough symbolism and complex themes that it would be impressive to say I did, Cries and Whispers is another Ingmar Bergman masterpiece that ranks among the most emotionally wrought works of cinema, showcasing agony in a shocking but undeniably powerful way.
November 29, 2015
I just didn't connect with this Bergman classic, I found it a difficult and rather tedious watch. It won an Oscar for Best Cinematography for Sven Nykvist and I can see why, but I couldn't get into the story. It's a film filled with pain, and Bergman stated he was in a state of melancholy when he wrote it. This is a film I may appreciate more on a second viewing, but that won't be anytime soon. For serious Bergman fans only.
November 21, 2015
The coolest and weirdest Bergman movie. It's like Stanley Kubrick meets some kind of hellish Alice in Wonderland. Loved it.
September 27, 2012
It's a haunting portrayal of the horrors of death and it's effect on those around it.
August 26, 2015
"Cries and Whispers" is about pain, death, love, lust, hate, and self-loathing. There are more than one scene in the film that I found unbearable, horrifying and depressing. In the same time, it is about beauty and power of life, every minute of it - how little we appreciated it until it is too late. Typical Bergman's subjects, Bergman's actresses giving amazing performances, strikingly beautiful - it even hurts your eyes cinematography by Sven Nykvist - typical Bergman's masterpiece - what less do we expect from him? I admire the brilliance of it: acting, cinematography, Bergman's simple but devastating approach to Death as an inevitable part of life. The ending is heartbreaking - with Harriet's face and her words from beyond the grave about appreciating every minute of life...
August 24, 2015
Cries and Whispers is an unbelievably draining look into the lives of three sisters, one of which is near death with cancer (to the point that she wakes up, realizes she's still alive, and almost breaks down at the thought of suffering through another day of pain). The family as a whole suffers with the sister, although it's mainly through the heightened awareness that her sickness brings them as they realize they know nothing about one another and almost certainly never will given the nature of social niceties.

Bergman's usual focus on the mental processes of his characters is here, but with an added emphasis on the physical nature of intimacy, light touches and unspoken words communicating the desperate longing for emotional availability the sisters feel towards each other. This period of existential openness doesn't last long, however, as they retreat into the cold, safe isolation of their own minds, shrouding their conversations in reactionary social cues after time separates them from their experience with death.

Setting all of this against the constant presence of ticking clocks, Bergman suggests that we ultimately know nothing about anyone around us and never really will as we slowly inch towards the grave; as depressing as this is, there's no denying the intelligence with which it's communicated, the experience primarily dealing with the inevitability of isolation made riveting through the use of color, the deeply layered performances, and the affecting filmmaking that imparts this dour message. It may honestly be impossible to love those around us given the nature of the individual, but complete emotional openness is surely the only way we could ever begin to do so. Cries and Whispers is a desperate plea for this openness, lest we end up like the sisters it documents.
August 2, 2015
strange. Left more questions than answers. finally figured out "when" something was a 'flashback.
½ July 20, 2015
Só a absurda fotografia de Nykvist já carregaria o filme, mas ainda temos o elenco de alto nivel e mais uma interessante análise do sexo feminino por Ingmar Bergman.
½ June 11, 2015
Cries and Whispers is a very potent film. It is very poetic in its subtleties in plot development and characterization; Its visual language being very grim. Bergman expresses scenes without letting us know if they are dreams. The performances are in no way subtle. In fact they are very extreme but not unbelievable. There is little to no music which allows the film a certain dramatic tone to realism.
April 18, 2015
Bergman se mete en los poros, en las venas, intoxica el cuerpo con su cine, llena de preguntas más que de respuestas. Es un dios.
½ April 9, 2015
A near perfect film.
April 9, 2015
After the sickness and subsequent death of their sister, the two remaining sisters have what can only be describe as a major existential crisis. It becomes very clear early on that none of the three sisters ever made a lasting, significant bond with one another. Indeed, the strongest relationship in the entire movie is between the sickly Agnes and her quiet, put-upon caretaker, Anna. Cries & Whispers is just as much about what is said as it is about the unsaid, repressed feelings everyone in the house feels. Not until Agnes' death halfway through are true feelings expressed, though it's mainly Karin harshly admonishing her sister and proclaiming how lost and alone she feels. Maria then attempts to reconcile and befriend her sister, though it falls on deaf ears and is only an empty gesture. By films end, the sister are no closer and treat Agnes' death as an inconvenience rather than a severe loss. The most surprising and endearing character ends up being Anna, who was more a sister to Agnes in her time of need than her actual sisters. A great film about a broken family who makes no attempts to communicate or fix their brokenness.
November 12, 2014
Cries and Whispers is a unforgettable, disturbing and Beautifully filmed masterpiece by the great Ingmar Bergman with outstanding performance by all three actresses.
½ June 6, 2013
Miraculous in storytelling and painful emotion. I remember seeing this film as a youngster not fully comprehending its meaning or power. Seeing it as an adult, the calibre of intensity is almost too unbearable at times. It's amazing how penetrating silence can be on the human psyche.... This Bergman film is a tough one to sit through simply because of its honest psychological brutality.... A masterpiece!
½ October 20, 2014
I'll admit, foreign films are difficult to keep my attention unless they are really really good. This movie is really good. Liv Ullman and Harriet Andersson are outstanding and the movie is one of the few foreign movies to get nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars so it is wild that these two ladies also couldn't get nominated. They were probably the best foreign performances I have even seen with Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. Ingmar Bergman's direction, the cinematography, art direction, costumes, and writing are beautiful. It does lag at times but some of the scenes are just captivating
October 14, 2014
A great film but it leaves a bit to be desired, mainly in the sense that it retreads some of the same themes that previous Bergman films possess. The color is almost entirely Blacks, whites and of course Crimson and the use of flashbacks actually works for the most part. I think it could have delved a bit deeper into each of the 4 main women but overall we got a lot of insight with a minimum of run time. As far as Bergman goes this is one of his most accessible and downright straightforward. Wouldn't be a bad movie to start your journey into Ingmar.
½ October 7, 2014
really really good, but it's soo depressing that I'm probably never watching it again
September 2, 2014
Ingmar Bergman's Cries and Whispers is an eternal masterpiece. With his visionary look inside this great story, Bergman bring us one more time his vision. 'Cries and Whispers' is a deep psychological drama about the life of four women facing a family conflict. Another wonderful film by the master Ingmar Bergman in one of his most deep works!